1996 Mazda Protege LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1996 Protege Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Sort Reviews by

Great long-term purchase
By abinva

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Protege (automatic, not manual) new in 1996, and although one of the buttons on the factory stereo stopped working within one year, I haven't had any major trouble out of this car for most of its life (first actual breakdown occurred in 2010, and wasn't a major system). I am only just now looking to replace it! The ride is responsive and the suspension is nice and firm, and though the 80hp engine is pretty sluggish, that never really bothered me. A simple, practical, reliable vehicle! The one caution I would have is that it has burned through several "lifetime" mufflers, always in the same spot--probably a design flaw. Otherwise, can't complain!

Favorite Features

Front seat has lots of space for its size/class. The trunk is huge! It handles nicely on turns, not a lot of lean/sway. Good steering/handling if I have to make a fast dodge.

Suggested Improvements

The seatbelts lock up way too easily and tend to go "boa constrictor" on larger people. The back-seat belts are also hard for my kids to latch because the receptor ends tend to slip under their booster seats. Hopefully the seat belts improved in later models! The problems I have had to fix have been muffler replacement (every 4-5 years, even on "lifetime" mufflers); mysteriously fouled spark plug wires (1x); and the a/c compressor (which is belted with the drivetrain so the car won't run if it's not fixed).

Mazda Protege Great Car
By JsyJack

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great car, no major problems in the 10 years we've owned it. Would gladly buy another.

Favorite Features

Overall economy & above average reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Enhance the air conditioning.

Will be sad to see it go.
By Minnesota

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of my 5spd LX. It just turned 200,000 miles last week and has been an outstanding car. It still runs great. It doesn't use any oil and is just starting to rust. The AC no longer works, but everything else does. The mileage is still great too. 38mpg on the highway. If I could have purchased a new one just like it, I would have. I am probably going to go back to driving a much bigger car, but I sure will miss this one.

Favorite Features

The spacious interior, quiet ride, good handling, excellent mileage and the outstanding reliability.

Dependable daily drive
By teeter64

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great gas mileage, very low maintenence, and comfortable seats. I was able to use 2 car seats at the same time in the back seat. The metallic blue still looks good at 8 years old. At 92 hp, won't burn anyone at the traffic light, but consistenly gets 34- 36 mpg. Factory stereo sounds pretty good, but had to have it replaced before warranty ran out, it was eating tapes. A/C unit struggles on really hot days. Get the ES if you want performance.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, low maintenence, good size interior.

Suggested Improvements

ES motor in the LX version, better A/C unit.

dependable car
By BOBCAT

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

very dependable. Comfortable seats for long drives. Excellent gas mileage. large trunk. Bought used, never had any major problems.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, depenability, large trunk

Suggested Improvements

oil change accessability

Never choose this type of car!!
By Alice A

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I was regret after I bought this car. The car looks great when you bought it. But I spent $2000 on engine maintainances when I bought the car for $3500.(95k Mileage) Thus, consider any other brand of cars rather than this one... or think twice or three more time when you're going to buy this car...(from honest suggestion!!)

need more improvement!
By c7edmundyoung

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car two years ago from friend. It goods great, but after two months, lots of problems existed. Runs poorly when I went uphill, it need more power... brake run badly, and I also need to fix the engire after one year from my purchase. If you're going to choose Mazda Protege, I would suggest you to buy other cars like Honda. More reliability.

Hey, it's a great little car
By 2young2retire

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

At almost 151,000 miles it is still a very reliable car. The only things to fail were the EGR valve at 110,000 miles and the air conditioner condensor cooling fan at 140,000 miles. It just keeps going, and going and going. Doesn't even burn any oil.

Favorite Features

Reliability, reliability, reliability

Suggested Improvements

At 92 horsepower the engine is a little anemic, my son's '93 has 125 is a lot stronger. But his car only has 145,000 miles on it.

Mazda Protege '96
By jwardall

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've owned 4 cars to date, and my mazda is the most fun and reliable one I've owned. Maintenance is low and very economical on gas.

Favorite Features

Power locks and windows and keyless remote entry.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior/exterior design. I'm partial to boxier shaped cars.

Ok in a pinch but don't by otherwise
By Morgan G

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Overall I have liked this car for the year that I have had it. When it comes to power the protege has none. With a 90 HP moter, the car does terribly on hills and when accelerating. The automatic transmission was really slow to down shift unless you really floored it. If power isn't your thing it might be a good car. Also the radio is really low and hard to see when driving. Go with a Honda

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy, Reliability

Suggested Improvements

BIGGER ENGINE!!!, Change radio placement Gas peddle sticks a little (When starting from a stop)