Used 1996 Mazda Protege ES Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

ES Protege
By PatrickDT

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

What i like about this car is the sunroof and all the power options.On really bad freeways the car is really bumpy i think it might be the struts or a motor mount i don't know but it really bad over 45 MPH. But for around 1,500-2,000 dollars these are a reliable small little car with Fair MPG and easy to work on.

Sunroof, power options, Cloth Seats.

Suspension (struts,Shocks Etc..)Less rust around wheel wells.

Most reliable car I've owned
By MazdaLover

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Protege in 2003 with 89,000 miles on it. I junked it in 2006 with almost 200,000 on it. I never had it in the repair shop once while I owned it (except for oil changes) and it never stalled on me or failed to start. When I dropped this car off in the junkyard I was almost in tears. The motor was in PERFECT condition, never ate oil or even sputtered, I didn't have to drop a dime into the engine on it. The only reason I had to get rid of it is because I drove it so hard the doors were literally falling off of it (string held them closed). I can not stress enough how much I loved this car. I drove it through hell and back- albeit pretty slowly-the car is underpowered-and it never quit.

Gas mileage (over 30 mpg). Reliability--never stalled or failed to start.

little more power in the engine---other than that the car is PERFECT!

Mazda makes it good
By JoshS.

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This mazda I bought at 48,000 miles back in 2001. The car has 85,000 miles on it now and still runs great, even without the standard 60,000 mile tune up. Oil changes been made, and brakes replaced, tires, fluids, etc.. Smooth ride for a compact class car, but if they would of added some cabin insulation it would be nice, but motor runs quiet at highway speeds and around town. It is a zoom zoom car, but if you have weight in the trunk, or people in the back seat, expect to floor it if you want to get up to freeway speed before merging.

Good Automatic transmition, quiet engine, doesnt leak any fluids, Reliable, gas tank could be a little bigger, Low Fuel light doesn't work, Mazda wants $86 for labor, and $1.75 to replace bulb. :-/

Front cup holders near center console flawed design, CD stereo gets really hot when you take out CDs almost hot enough to burn you, Cruise control on steering wheel is almost impossible to see at night.

Great Car
By Shanemacisaac

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

If your looking for a reliable car mazda protege is it. I have over 230000 miles with no major work having to be done to the car. Just regular maintence.

Fuel economy

Needs a little more leg room