Used 1996 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Great long-term purchase
By abinva

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Protege (automatic, not manual) new in 1996, and although one of the buttons on the factory stereo stopped working within one year, I haven't had any major trouble out of this car for most of its life (first actual breakdown occurred in 2010, and wasn't a major system). I am only just now looking to replace it! The ride is responsive and the suspension is nice and firm, and though the 80hp engine is pretty sluggish, that never really bothered me. A simple, practical, reliable vehicle! The one caution I would have is that it has burned through several "lifetime" mufflers, always in the same spot--probably a design flaw. Otherwise, can't complain!

Front seat has lots of space for its size/class. The trunk is huge! It handles nicely on turns, not a lot of lean/sway. Good steering/handling if I have to make a fast dodge.

The seatbelts lock up way too easily and tend to go "boa constrictor" on larger people. The back-seat belts are also hard for my kids to latch because the receptor ends tend to slip under their booster seats. Hopefully the seat belts improved in later models! The problems I have had to fix have been muffler replacement (every 4-5 years, even on "lifetime" mufflers); mysteriously fouled spark plug wires (1x); and the a/c compressor (which is belted with the drivetrain so the car won't run if it's not fixed).

My first car
By Christina

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

First I would like to say, this is just my experience with this car. Most of the comments hear are pretty good and I think I just got "the bad one". My mother purchased this car for me as a graduation present in 2004. We bought it @ an auction and paid about $2000 with a little over 100k miles. The engine was replace in 2006 and it seemed to be fine. But as time went on I start experiencing unresolved electrical problems, computer problems, and altenator problems. I later found out that the "new engine" was damaged and the odometer was set back. Current its @ 160k (really about 190k), stills runs but on its last leg. We've spent thousands of $$ in repairs. Good car, just do research b4 u buy

Has excellent gas milage, roomy back seats for a compact car, A/C works great.

Poor acceleration, cheap interior, uncomfortable seats.

ES Protege
By PatrickDT

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

What i like about this car is the sunroof and all the power options.On really bad freeways the car is really bumpy i think it might be the struts or a motor mount i don't know but it really bad over 45 MPH. But for around 1,500-2,000 dollars these are a reliable small little car with Fair MPG and easy to work on.

Sunroof, power options, Cloth Seats.

Suspension (struts,Shocks Etc..)Less rust around wheel wells.

First Car
By daniel

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Overall this car is fantastic. I got it for my 18th birthday and I'm in love with it. The engine is a little underpowered but the manual helps hide it. I just learned how to drive stick shift with this car because it is so easy. The DX trim lacks basic comforts like power anything or cruise control but the car is very easy to work on. The 1.5 liter engine makes incredible gas mileage, I went 80 miles on a little less than a 1/4 tank. Its great for a starter car or student can go forever with proper maintenance.

fuel economy, comfort and simplicity

more basic features

my protege
By Jannet Bahraini

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in November 1995and have been driving it ever since. it is in a good shape. looks like a brand new car and I love to drive it. never had any problem and I 'll recommend Mazda to every friend and family member and to you too!!!

thw shape of car is nice. simple and chic!!

I wish the color of interior and exterior would be the same or using a better material for the interior not to faded after a while.