1996 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Great long-term purchase
By abinva on 06/23/12 07:26 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Protege (automatic, not manual) new in 1996, and although one of the buttons on the factory stereo stopped working within one year, I haven't had any major trouble out of this car for most of its life (first actual breakdown occurred in 2010, and wasn't a major system). I am only just now looking to replace it! The ride is responsive and the suspension is nice and firm, and though the 80hp engine is pretty sluggish, that never really bothered me. A simple, practical, reliable vehicle! The one caution I would have is that it has burned through several "lifetime" mufflers, always in the same spot--probably a design flaw. Otherwise, can't complain!

My first car
By Christina on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

First I would like to say, this is just my experience with this car. Most of the comments hear are pretty good and I think I just got "the bad one". My mother purchased this car for me as a graduation present in 2004. We bought it @ an auction and paid about $2000 with a little over 100k miles. The engine was replace in 2006 and it seemed to be fine. But as time went on I start experiencing unresolved electrical problems, computer problems, and altenator problems. I later found out that the "new engine" was damaged and the odometer was set back. Current its @ 160k (really about 190k), stills runs but on its last leg. We've spent thousands of $$ in repairs. Good car, just do research b4 u buy

ES Protege
By PatrickDT on 02/20/10 23:35 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

What i like about this car is the sunroof and all the power options.On really bad freeways the car is really bumpy i think it might be the struts or a motor mount i don't know but it really bad over 45 MPH. But for around 1,500-2,000 dollars these are a reliable small little car with Fair MPG and easy to work on.

First Car
By daniel on 08/11/09 08:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Overall this car is fantastic. I got it for my 18th birthday and I'm in love with it. The engine is a little underpowered but the manual helps hide it. I just learned how to drive stick shift with this car because it is so easy. The DX trim lacks basic comforts like power anything or cruise control but the car is very easy to work on. The 1.5 liter engine makes incredible gas mileage, I went 80 miles on a little less than a 1/4 tank. Its great for a starter car or student can go forever with proper maintenance.

my protege
By Jannet Bahraini on 07/24/09 10:01 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in November 1995and have been driving it ever since. it is in a good shape. looks like a brand new car and I love to drive it. never had any problem and I 'll recommend Mazda to every friend and family member and to you too!!!

Great car!!!!
By Protege Gal on 07/11/09 12:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I had my 1996 Mazda Protege DX for 8 years and have Loved it! I did put some money into maintenance over the years...but nothing compared to how little I paid for it. It lacked a little on it's get up and go but It was 100% reliable. Never had to worry about getting where I needed to go. I just bought a new car...and was actually sad to have to leave my protege. I would definitely recommend this as a first time car or as a little zip around town car!!!

96 Protege DX Great Commuter!
By Sarah on 06/27/09 21:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

If you want a very dependable car, this is it! The DX model doesn't have all the bells and whistles, kinda a pain without power windows or locks. The giddy-up is slower in high traffic, but responds when needed. The interior space is limiting on long trips, but those inconveniences are minor disabilities. The overall economy is awesome (38-42mpg). You can't go work with this car - I travel 200 miles daily and have had to to little with this car. Routine maintenance (oil, tire rotation, etc). I drove 1100 miles this past weekend and couldn't be happier with the car - super hot and muggy outside and the car was perfect! I'd go anywhere with this car. 98K miles and going very strong

13 years and still running strong
By petedaddy on 05/18/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased new. Current daily commute of 50 miles RT and mileage of 118K. Never garaged and live in Northeast so rust of exhaust system was a problem. Replaced exhaust pipes, then muffler over last two years. Underpowered, but very economical, still average 35+ MPG. Overall this has been an unbelievable good car.

Most reliable car I've owned
By MazdaLover on 08/11/08 12:11 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Protege in 2003 with 89,000 miles on it. I junked it in 2006 with almost 200,000 on it. I never had it in the repair shop once while I owned it (except for oil changes) and it never stalled on me or failed to start. When I dropped this car off in the junkyard I was almost in tears. The motor was in PERFECT condition, never ate oil or even sputtered, I didn't have to drop a dime into the engine on it. The only reason I had to get rid of it is because I drove it so hard the doors were literally falling off of it (string held them closed). I can not stress enough how much I loved this car. I drove it through hell and back- albeit pretty slowly-the car is underpowered-and it never quit.

Great little car
By Colorado on 07/12/07 12:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 62000 miles from someone that had several accidents and didn't take care of it. After a new door, seat and a little work I have put more than 40,000 miles on it. It is a fun car to drive and costs nothing to keep it going.