Used 1996 Mazda Protege DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

My first car
By Christina

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

First I would like to say, this is just my experience with this car. Most of the comments hear are pretty good and I think I just got "the bad one". My mother purchased this car for me as a graduation present in 2004. We bought it @ an auction and paid about $2000 with a little over 100k miles. The engine was replace in 2006 and it seemed to be fine. But as time went on I start experiencing unresolved electrical problems, computer problems, and altenator problems. I later found out that the "new engine" was damaged and the odometer was set back. Current its @ 160k (really about 190k), stills runs but on its last leg. We've spent thousands of $$ in repairs. Good car, just do research b4 u buy

Has excellent gas milage, roomy back seats for a compact car, A/C works great.

Poor acceleration, cheap interior, uncomfortable seats.

First Car
By daniel

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Overall this car is fantastic. I got it for my 18th birthday and I'm in love with it. The engine is a little underpowered but the manual helps hide it. I just learned how to drive stick shift with this car because it is so easy. The DX trim lacks basic comforts like power anything or cruise control but the car is very easy to work on. The 1.5 liter engine makes incredible gas mileage, I went 80 miles on a little less than a 1/4 tank. Its great for a starter car or student can go forever with proper maintenance.

fuel economy, comfort and simplicity

more basic features

my protege
By Jannet Bahraini

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in November 1995and have been driving it ever since. it is in a good shape. looks like a brand new car and I love to drive it. never had any problem and I 'll recommend Mazda to every friend and family member and to you too!!!

thw shape of car is nice. simple and chic!!

I wish the color of interior and exterior would be the same or using a better material for the interior not to faded after a while.

Great car!!!!
By Protege Gal

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I had my 1996 Mazda Protege DX for 8 years and have Loved it! I did put some money into maintenance over the years...but nothing compared to how little I paid for it. It lacked a little on it's get up and go but It was 100% reliable. Never had to worry about getting where I needed to go. I just bought a new car...and was actually sad to have to leave my protege. I would definitely recommend this as a first time car or as a little zip around town car!!!

96 Protege DX Great Commuter!
By Sarah

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

If you want a very dependable car, this is it! The DX model doesn't have all the bells and whistles, kinda a pain without power windows or locks. The giddy-up is slower in high traffic, but responds when needed. The interior space is limiting on long trips, but those inconveniences are minor disabilities. The overall economy is awesome (38-42mpg). You can't go work with this car - I travel 200 miles daily and have had to to little with this car. Routine maintenance (oil, tire rotation, etc). I drove 1100 miles this past weekend and couldn't be happier with the car - super hot and muggy outside and the car was perfect! I'd go anywhere with this car. 98K miles and going very strong

The obvious favorite feature is the fuel economy. With the price of gas going crazy, I laugh when I fill up the tank for $25. This car always starts and runs quietly every trip.

A little more comfort in the seat and interior leg room space could be better. On long trips, you need to stretch out. I'd pay for more comfort.