Used 1995 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Best mazda ever
By Mazda Lover

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought it new and still have it. Do not plan to sell it, i shall paint it and keep it forever. Great little car, mine is a stickshift, a little close the gear ratios, but is is fun driving on twisty roads. Extremely comfy, very good abs brakes, discs all around. No complaints whatsoever.

Engine, suspension, brakes, seats

Wider gearbox ratios or adding sixth gear with a 0.50 Ratio to save gas. It does not even get you 20 mph per 1000 revs on 5th gear.

Great small car
By AKX

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 95 Mazda Protege for 9+ yrs and 137,000 miles now and am just getting ready to replace with a slightly bigger vehicle and I thought I'd write for it the fine review that it deserves before I part with it. This car has been absolutely great. I have only had to do scheduled maintenance, replace tires twice and replace a tail pipe once. The manual transmission functions so smooth and feels very 'natural'. The car is zippy at highway speeds and passing is a breeze. The interior ergonomics are great - I am 6'3" and it seats me comfortaby with good lumbar support & head/leg room. It still gives me 34mpg city/39 hwy. A finely engineered Mazda that drew me to buy another Mazda.

Body styling ahead of its age; interior ergonomics; manual transmission; fuel efficiency

Sluggish pickup at low speeds with the 1.5l engine. Low ground clearance.

Solid and enjoyable car
By psychedad

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Traded in a Nissan 200SX coupe several years ago because we needed a 4-door This car is geared so nicely (I have a manual). The throws are just about perfect for me. It doesn't sound as labored in first gear as many other compacts, and at highway speeds it cruises like a dream. It's been super reliable, with my only gripe being with the brakes frequently getting worn out (which may reflect on my driving habits more than anything ;). I turned over 100,000 miles recently, and the oil change guys were astonished at how low this car still idles (sub-500 RPMs). Evidently, that's a strong indication that the engine is still in top-notch condition.

The manual transmission. Perfect marriage of performance and fuel economy. Rock-solid reliability.

It does ride a little low. Thigh support is weak.

Great budget minded car
By gamegyro

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with only 43000 miles on it and sold it with 52000. I found that the engine was way too under powered and it was not accuratly reflected in the gas mileage. The only repairs it needed was at the body shop to replace a broken seat. It was reliable but I dont think I could ever go back to driving one of these.

Great amount of storage space and reliability.

Tune the engine to make it faster, (drive a Toyota Paseo same specs big difference) and better interior quality would be nice.

So sad to have lost it
By Mazdas Rock

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I loved this car! Bought it from my cousin at 60,000 miles. Drove it for 8 months and crashed it (great testement to the power in this little engine). I was devastated. A little weak on low- end power coming out of dead stops. But driving and passing in the fast lane is a breeze. Plenty of trunk space. No weird noises, smells or vibrations coming from under the hood or anywhere else. I had a 5sp manual and loved it. Totally solid piece of machinery. Looked for another Protege to replace it.

Great fun to drive. Zippy for a little car. Very reliable.

Not too much to suggest in the way of improvements.