1995 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Gets me through
By ashman on 07/30/10 15:04 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Recently purchased from original owner. Always garaged and in excellent shape inside and out. 1995 car with 11,200 actual miles. My mechanic can not believe the condition. The condition is new and ready to go. My boy should get through his last two years and all of college with this ride, and only them have maybe 60k miles. We'll see how reliable this old new car turns to be. Not bad for $3k a worthwhile gamble cheers.

Great Car
By Mazda on 05/25/10 11:42 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought a 95 Mazda DX with 118,000 miles and have driven it every day. I had the timing belt, water pump, and belts changed. I also had a new clutch installed. It now has 184,000 miles and drives great. The only thing I have changed is the oil and antifreeze. The mileage is great. I get about 34-36 mpg. If you want a fast car this is not the car for you. It's painfully slow at times, the cup holders and stereo are to close together, and its kinda loud inside. I'm on my 3rd rear defrost button, but its easy to fix. I have the 5 speed, just wished it had a 6 speed.

Best car I've owned
By PrtotegeLove on 07/19/09 23:35 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this Penelope with 87000 miles on her. She was a manual and had a good deal of power for build. I raced a camaro on the interstate and won! Penelope also saved my life when I a woman ran a stop sign and flipped me; she turned upright about 5 minutes after I flipped. Best car I've ever owned!

Hate It
By HATE IT on 09/02/07 05:54 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 yrs old with 30K miles on it. I've had it 10yrs - replaced the exhaust system SIX times, cloth seats have ripped apart from the leather backing, brakes cylinders fail inspection every yr, oil a pain to change, cv joints have been replaced 3 times. The headlights are very dim - even when newly replaced. Just a pain and I can't wait to get rid of it and the headaches!!

money maker!
By Mazda Protege 1995 on 04/30/05 17:19 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Have 95 protege, 5 speed. Bought this car for delivery service, with 127k miles, have now 237k!!! This car does not know when it wants to quit!! It just never stops running!! Never had any problems!! Yeah you heard me right... Never!! Not to mention that i never even replace timing belt, and some other mantinence incl replace coolant. Hardly done any maintenance on this car, but this car don't care! Of course of normal maintenance issues, the clutch, broken driveaxle, and oil leaks had happened, but normal in all cars!! Especially going 110000 miles on it, (already with 127k when i bought!!!) In short, this good car is making me aprofit, company pays me $300 month, cost on aver $100 to keep up!

Great small car
By AKX on 12/14/04 16:40 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 95 Mazda Protege for 9+ yrs and 137,000 miles now and am just getting ready to replace with a slightly bigger vehicle and I thought I'd write for it the fine review that it deserves before I part with it. This car has been absolutely great. I have only had to do scheduled maintenance, replace tires twice and replace a tail pipe once. The manual transmission functions so smooth and feels very 'natural'. The car is zippy at highway speeds and passing is a breeze. The interior ergonomics are great - I am 6'3" and it seats me comfortaby with good lumbar support & head/leg room. It still gives me 34mpg city/39 hwy. A finely engineered Mazda that drew me to buy another Mazda.

fair
By angelia bush on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

i've had my car for 6yr. and only had a few problems out of my car.axle replaced,tires replaced every 1.5yr.

Just Purchased Yesterday!
By Mark Randolph on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Ive not had a chance to drive this car very many miles yet,just bought it yesterday,but so far from what Ive seen Its a solid car. We owned a Plymouth Colt prior to this car, and it didnt have room for some of the larger items that a person might want to haul,had a cheep car feel to it,but the Mazda Protege has the look and feel of a much more expencive car. The doors seam to shut solid,the seats are very comfortiable, an lots of leg room. I will post again after we have had a chance to drive it more.

5 years and no major problems
By mseditor on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Every year I take it into my mazda dealer for basic maintenance (besides regular oil changes). Totally dependable. Tons of interior space. A TRUNK that could fit five ! I only wish it had a remote trunk release.

Great Bargain
By Howie on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Paid just over $3k for my '95 DX automatic with 55k miles. Body had some dings and scratches and interior was a little roughed up (all from previous owner) but internally car is sound! 8k miles later...no problems. Car is an absolute steal for the price. Drives super smooth and has a well built-quality feel throughout. I can go 75-80mph with the AC on and the car doesn't flutter a bit. Mileage is not what a Honda is. I get about 28-30 combined. Protege is inexpensive yet very pleasant transportation.