1995 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Worst Car I've Ever Had
By cardriver247 on 06/10/12 10:32 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since last December and it gives me trouble every day. I've already had to replace my fuel injector, spark plugs, and other things. right now it's lagging and takes forever to build up speed. I wish i never got this car.

Well Done
By tela0001 on 08/09/09 17:46 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Car served us very well. In 12 years of ownership we have had VERY few problems.

Wish they made more like them
By Jeremy on 07/14/09 23:38 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Protege in preparation for going back to college for $3,500 with 117k on it. It's a 5 speed with a 1.5 liter. I use it for everything short of what I would need a truck for. It has plenty of room for 4-5 people and great trunk space. More than two years later, it has 156k and still going strong. Aside from basic maintenance, it has only needed a new timing belt (water pump done at same time to save $$), thermostat and tires, all wear and tear items. Although not absolutely necessary, I also replaced the struts (another wear and tear item) since I plan to drive this one until it dies, which will probably be a long time.

Excellent Protege
By marinejrm on 02/23/08 13:19 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Picked up an immaculate little 1995 Protege LX with 131,000 on the odometer. Did the best tune up I could without tearing it apart. Plugs, wires, oil, oil filter, PCV Valve, Fuel Filter and Sea Foamed the crap out of the engine. The thing runs like a brand new car and doesnt leak or burn a drop of oil. For an economical get around car I would put it in the same catagory as a civic or corolla and they are available at a substantially lower price.

My Old Blue
By 1995 Mazda Protege on 02/18/08 05:34 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

After a first month of major shaking off of dust and investing over $700 in new parts, the little car perked right up, except for occasional lapses of electrical connections, like windshield wipers. It seems to drive better and better with time, besting the big boys that keep broadsiding it. Truly, the "little engine that could." Already had 126,186 when I purchased it several months ago, and I have the feeling it's just getting started. In fact, I watched six mechanics' eyes light up once they got behind the wheel themselves. I love my little car; it makes me love driving, even in crazy traffic. Its small size is a plus for maneuvering, too. Forget "first car"--this is a keeper.

Best car I've ever owned
By Dutch on 12/01/07 19:57 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car new in 1995. Chose it over Honda and Toyota because of superior interior room. I'm 6'3" and fit well in back seat, plenty of headroom. Very refined driver for size, although the ride can be less than cushy on rough roads. Precise steering, excellent brakes. Acceleration is adequate, but I choose fuel economy over power. Mine is a 5 speed, the 1.5l engine with automatic would probably be on the sluggish side. Excellent build quality, very few repairs. Trouble-free car. Plan to keep it a few more years. Rust is starting around rear wheelwells, but car still looks and runs like new. I check fuel economy with every tank, this car consistently averages 32-34 mpg.

Cheap, reliable, and fun in one.
By Brian Houck on 08/19/06 10:20 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from the original owner in March 2000 with 140,000 miles. It had been well maintained. Other than the drive axles being a weak spot, the car has been great. Just replaced the original alternator a couple months ago, two months after replacing water pump and timing belt. I have a 5 speed, and have always gotten 35-40 mpg in mixed driving. Not a speck of rust and it has never been garaged. I've had a 2000 Pro ES 5speed for two years and I actually prefer driving the 95.

Killer gas mileage
By WB on 02/22/06 17:23 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car is severely underpowered, especially in the mountains in Colorado. I get 28-35 mpg, so that is obviously phenomenal, and by far my favorite thing about this car. Only 106,000 on it, so it has life left in it, but I secretly wish it would die, but I know I won't find quality with that kind of gas mileage again.

awesome overall
By Ryan TPley on 01/19/06 14:52 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I love my Mazda; it is an overall awesome car that has good pick up and has great gas mileage. It is worth what I paid for it. I only wish there was more mods that can be done to it to get more hp out of it. But it is an all around good first car. When Iím behind the wheel I feel like I own the road, that is how much this car rocks. It is my little Maggie Mazda and it tells the truth. I have no regrets about my Protege LX, it is 100% worth every penny.

Solid and enjoyable car
By psychedad on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Traded in a Nissan 200SX coupe several years ago because we needed a 4-door This car is geared so nicely (I have a manual). The throws are just about perfect for me. It doesn't sound as labored in first gear as many other compacts, and at highway speeds it cruises like a dream. It's been super reliable, with my only gripe being with the brakes frequently getting worn out (which may reflect on my driving habits more than anything ;). I turned over 100,000 miles recently, and the oil change guys were astonished at how low this car still idles (sub-500 RPMs). Evidently, that's a strong indication that the engine is still in top-notch condition.