Used 1995 Mazda Protege DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Gets me through
By ashman

1995 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Recently purchased from original owner. Always garaged and in excellent shape inside and out. 1995 car with 11,200 actual miles. My mechanic can not believe the condition. The condition is new and ready to go. My boy should get through his last two years and all of college with this ride, and only them have maybe 60k miles. We'll see how reliable this old new car turns to be. Not bad for $3k a worthwhile gamble cheers.

nice little car, well done inside, seems to run fantastic.

small tires

Great Car
By Mazda

1995 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought a 95 Mazda DX with 118,000 miles and have driven it every day. I had the timing belt, water pump, and belts changed. I also had a new clutch installed. It now has 184,000 miles and drives great. The only thing I have changed is the oil and antifreeze. The mileage is great. I get about 34-36 mpg. If you want a fast car this is not the car for you. It's painfully slow at times, the cup holders and stereo are to close together, and its kinda loud inside. I'm on my 3rd rear defrost button, but its easy to fix. I have the 5 speed, just wished it had a 6 speed.

Great fuel mileage. Easy to drive and maintain. I've never had to take it to the dealer!

Move the stereo and cup holders. Better seats would be nice.

Best car I've owned
By PrtotegeLove

1995 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this Penelope with 87000 miles on her. She was a manual and had a good deal of power for build. I raced a camaro on the interstate and won! Penelope also saved my life when I a woman ran a stop sign and flipped me; she turned upright about 5 minutes after I flipped. Best car I've ever owned!

THE POWER!

The speakers and the side mirrors would fall off regularly.

Hate It
By HATE IT

1995 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 yrs old with 30K miles on it. I've had it 10yrs - replaced the exhaust system SIX times, cloth seats have ripped apart from the leather backing, brakes cylinders fail inspection every yr, oil a pain to change, cv joints have been replaced 3 times. The headlights are very dim - even when newly replaced. Just a pain and I can't wait to get rid of it and the headaches!!

money maker!
By Mazda Protege 1995

1995 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Have 95 protege, 5 speed. Bought this car for delivery service, with 127k miles, have now 237k!!! This car does not know when it wants to quit!! It just never stops running!! Never had any problems!! Yeah you heard me right... Never!! Not to mention that i never even replace timing belt, and some other mantinence incl replace coolant. Hardly done any maintenance on this car, but this car don't care! Of course of normal maintenance issues, the clutch, broken driveaxle, and oil leaks had happened, but normal in all cars!! Especially going 110000 miles on it, (already with 127k when i bought!!!) In short, this good car is making me aprofit, company pays me $300 month, cost on aver $100 to keep up!

Stick shift is fun to drive. Great performing for being a 1.5 liter engine. IT'S THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT CAN!!