1994 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Love IT!!!!
By hanger1111 on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new. Love the gas mileage!! Had to replace CV Joints. 2 times but thats goes with any front wheel drive car.. Replaced timing belt at 65000 not that it was broke. Now my car has 110000 mi and just now replaced the spark plugs. To improve gas miles put in some Mystery Oil 6oz. Im back up to 40 mpg even with 110grand. Mind you I live in Florida . The steepest hill is about 5ft high.

Short life
By teresphere on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This car ran great until 105,000 miles. Then i had to replace few things...like Belts, Alternator, header Pipe etc. I have driven this car into the ground..i am now at 126K and i am getting ready to junk it. The exhaust is all rusted out. The rear brakes dont work..i suppose the brake cable is rusted out. The Doors are rusted out with holes. The suspension needs replacing, Brake rotors need replacing, pads etc...bearings and probably more! But it runs great..still!

Dependable car
By Christina M on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car for me when I was a senior in high school and it had 40000 miles. I am now out of college and it has 108,000 miles and still runs great. The problems I have had are minimal: the seat belt light goes off all the time, the horn was worn and needed to be replaced and the antifreeze was leaking and I needed to replace the water pump (that is a big chunk of change). But those repairs are worth it because I have abused it and I know it will be around for at least 2 more years. Overall, it was definitely a smart purchase on my parent's part because it has been very reliable and problems have been minor.

Good Car
By ALA on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I have not had too many problems with my car other then the exhaust pipe breaks at lot i have had to get a new one at least once a year from 98-to present. Other than that the transmission and engine work well and have not had any problems with it. I got it as a freshmen in high school now im a freshmen in college and it is still running well. Although the body dents very very easy. And i dont know about the guy above getting 40 mpg but mine only gets like 25 on highway and like 20 in town. Also when it is windy out the car is hard to control and its loud when you drive in the wind. The windows arent seeled good.

the ultimate car to drive
By lashay45 on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I love the way my mazda protege drives, I had it for a year with minor adjustments needed and also it cheap on the gas and it's a reliable dependable car.

Loved my Protege right to the end
By Eric G on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I got a great deal when I bought my '94 DX. It really took some abuse as it was my pizza delivery car and personal speed machine for 2 1/2 years. Pros aren't fast, but the chassis, suspension, and low weight make for fun driving. Interior space and trunk room was voluminous for it's size. If I packed it right, I could fit over 60 XL pizzas in it! All this at 40 mpg on the highway. Last, but not least is safety. I learned this the hard way, I hit a Mustang at 40 mph and it crushed the front of my poor car, but my friend and I got out with only sore necks. I'd buy one again in a second after the experience I've had with mine.

What I think...
By Punjabi Balla on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

The Mazda Protege is a great car. I bought mines used and I love it! It;s fun to drive, great on fuel! It's very comfortable also! I would recommend this car to anyone but especially teenagers out there who are buying their first car. It's really worth it. -Punjabi Balla!

I am very disappointed in this car
By ProtegeOwner on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1994 and i have performed every maintenence thing possible on this car. Everything was fine on this car until it his 65,000 when the fuel pump and fuel sensor blew and now the radiator. As well, i had to get the axels rebuilt and i needed all new wheel barrings. This car ended up being a peice of junk! This car should have lasted much longer. Now i went out and bought a 2002 Nissan Sentra! Nissan knows how to build a car, not Mazda!

Hard to Beat
By joellein on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in late '94. Has 5 sp and dual cam engine. Very spunky and generally fun to drive, even now with 106K. Air cond. had to be replaced this year---quite expensive. Both axles been replaced. Other than that, just brakes, tires and oil changes. Never has used a drop of oil between changes. A Great Car!!

Little Red BMW 320 Sleeper
By Bryan :o) on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I've owned many Japanese, German & American cars and this one has been the most reliable of them all! After about 130K of miles, I decided today to change the spark plug wires for the first time. I also changed the orig tail half of the exhaust last month. I don't know of any other car that holds together like this one has. Hat's off to ya Mazda! Mucho car for only $10K in '94.