1994 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: 32 MPG

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Review

32 MPG
By lastlink on

1994 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Great car! I have a rarer half-year model (a 93-and-a-half) sold as a DX -- includes the larger 1.8 liter DOHC engine paired with the outstanding manual Mazda transmission and lightweight DX options (plus A/C). I average 34 MPG on the highways, and 30 in the city. Real fun to drive. Repair costs are ok: yearly exhaust problems (thankfully Midas has a lifetime warranty for free parts and labor). I changed out my spark plug wires with higher-end Bosch wires which blew out a spark plug sensor -- $800 repair. DO NOT USE BOSCH WIRES WITH THIS CAR! I bought the car with 72k miles in '97 and I'm close to 150k now. I'm planning on keeping the car 'till it's an antique!

1.8l DOHC with the Mazda manual transmission! The AM/FM/Cassette stereo still sounds great. Averages 32 MPG. Higher ground clearance than similar Toyotas and Hondas (I'm 6'1"). Great trunk space and fold-down rear seats. No airbags (a fender-bender will not 'total' this car)! :)

The automatic seatbelts are annoying. No cruise control. Annoying yearly exhaust repairs. My old mechanic couldn't seem to install a valve cover gasket correctly. Both mechanic and VCG have been replaced without further issues. :)