Used 1994 Mazda Protege DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Great Car
By mazdkid

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $400 from my dad with about 112K mi. Have had few problems with the car the automatic seatbelt on the drivers side didn't work when i got the car due to a bad wiring connection in the door jam. it wont pass MD emissions due to a bad catalytic converter. Very reliable car. Runs like a top. it has the 1.8 SOHC with the 5-speed trans. couple mods custom cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, short shifter. with a little tweaking of the fuel pressure regulator i got 40mpg. but it kills the performance. usually gets around 30- 35mpg. Ill never get rid of this car

love the gas mileage. fun to drive, roomy interior. great little car. i also love the wide range of RPMs red lines around 6000 rpms nice power band.

no power options with the DX package. could use a little more power. does not come with a tach had to install my own.

Best car in the whole world!!!
By Heather

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when I was 15 for $800. and I am now 20 and it still runs perfectly. a/c is still running perfectly, and I have had to replace the clutch, that only cost me $300,i've got a great mechanic. Other than that, this car is sooo great. It's a DX, 1.8 DOHC, manual 5 spd trans., My muffler fell off a couple months ago, probably b/c there was a big hole. The car has always been loud, now it's just super loud. It never had a pass. side mirror, but i lived. This is the best car ever, I just bought a new Mazda 3 because it was a really good deal, not b/c i needed a new car. I will keep my protege forever it has 230,000 miles now, and i will NEVER get rid of this car.

Lasts forever. Will not die, ever. It handles great, shifts great, I actually like the loudness. I like it's unique,No RPM gauge, or pass. side mirror. original bumpers are black, original paint is a sand-ish color. Great car, I will never get rid of this thing.

I guess the auto-seatbelts. But that's a 90's thing. Lots of cars had those. Ummmm....nothing else. Awesome car. Awesome car. best car ever, I promise.

Best car i've ever owned (R.I.P.)
By Damien

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Mazda Protege for 7 years now. Bought it with 98000 miles on it. 5spd DX 4door no power anything. I would drive this like a bat out of hell sometimes and normal the next. It now has 270,000 miles on it. Replaced alternator once, battery once, radiator hoses twice. I think the first set was faulty. Simple problems, simple fixes, standard. Nothing else has gone wrong with this car other than than that. I was t-boned in a wreck few months ago and bashed my doors in. Car looks half pinched in middle. I still drive it around town for the hell of it before my insurance runs out. Still does 120 mph. 30 mpg and will not die. I will miss it. Damn good car!

Quick for what little HP is has, interior smooth and sleek, nice lines, engine never gave me problems.! I love this car... hate to see it go

Door seatbelts ran across my neck. Poor stock stereo was quickly replaced with aftermarket. Bumps nicely now that's about it.

The BEST Purchase!!!
By dayvis28

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right off the lot BRAND NEW in Oct. of 1994. I am STILL driving it today with almost 300,000 miles on it!!! I haven't had a lot of repair work on it throughout most of it's life, mostly exhaust and regular maintenance until 3 years ago when the engine started to go. I love this car so much I had the engine rebuilt and brought it out to Los Angeles with me when I moved. I can't believe I am approaching 300,000 miles very soon! When it comes time to finally break down and buy a new car, TRUST ME, I WILL buy the same thing!!! The best and most reliable car in the world.

Excellent on gas if you buy the manual transmission. Smooth riding, good looking.

Make it a little bit more sportier with more color and interior options.

Love it
By trish

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I drove this car off the show room floor 14 years ago brand new. My first new car and I am very sad to part with it. It is very good on gas, and original AC still works, some rust and regular repairs, nothing major. It is fun to drive and a very comfortable ride. I have enjoyed it very much.

compact size, roominess, gas mileage, great trunk space, get up and go, well everything

a little more power, sluggish up big hills