1994 Mazda Protege DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1994 Protege Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Car
By mazdkid

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $400 from my dad with about 112K mi. Have had few problems with the car the automatic seatbelt on the drivers side didn't work when i got the car due to a bad wiring connection in the door jam. it wont pass MD emissions due to a bad catalytic converter. Very reliable car. Runs like a top. it has the 1.8 SOHC with the 5-speed trans. couple mods custom cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, short shifter. with a little tweaking of the fuel pressure regulator i got 40mpg. but it kills the performance. usually gets around 30- 35mpg. Ill never get rid of this car

Favorite Features

love the gas mileage. fun to drive, roomy interior. great little car. i also love the wide range of RPMs red lines around 6000 rpms nice power band.

Suggested Improvements

no power options with the DX package. could use a little more power. does not come with a tach had to install my own.

Best car in the whole world!!!
By Heather

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when I was 15 for $800. and I am now 20 and it still runs perfectly. a/c is still running perfectly, and I have had to replace the clutch, that only cost me $300,i've got a great mechanic. Other than that, this car is sooo great. It's a DX, 1.8 DOHC, manual 5 spd trans., My muffler fell off a couple months ago, probably b/c there was a big hole. The car has always been loud, now it's just super loud. It never had a pass. side mirror, but i lived. This is the best car ever, I just bought a new Mazda 3 because it was a really good deal, not b/c i needed a new car. I will keep my protege forever it has 230,000 miles now, and i will NEVER get rid of this car.

Favorite Features

Lasts forever. Will not die, ever. It handles great, shifts great, I actually like the loudness. I like it's unique,No RPM gauge, or pass. side mirror. original bumpers are black, original paint is a sand-ish color. Great car, I will never get rid of this thing.

Suggested Improvements

I guess the auto-seatbelts. But that's a 90's thing. Lots of cars had those. Ummmm....nothing else. Awesome car. Awesome car. best car ever, I promise.

Best car i've ever owned (R.I.P.)
By Damien

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Mazda Protege for 7 years now. Bought it with 98000 miles on it. 5spd DX 4door no power anything. I would drive this like a bat out of hell sometimes and normal the next. It now has 270,000 miles on it. Replaced alternator once, battery once, radiator hoses twice. I think the first set was faulty. Simple problems, simple fixes, standard. Nothing else has gone wrong with this car other than than that. I was t-boned in a wreck few months ago and bashed my doors in. Car looks half pinched in middle. I still drive it around town for the hell of it before my insurance runs out. Still does 120 mph. 30 mpg and will not die. I will miss it. Damn good car!

Favorite Features

Quick for what little HP is has, interior smooth and sleek, nice lines, engine never gave me problems.! I love this car... hate to see it go

Suggested Improvements

Door seatbelts ran across my neck. Poor stock stereo was quickly replaced with aftermarket. Bumps nicely now that's about it.

The BEST Purchase!!!
By dayvis28

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right off the lot BRAND NEW in Oct. of 1994. I am STILL driving it today with almost 300,000 miles on it!!! I haven't had a lot of repair work on it throughout most of it's life, mostly exhaust and regular maintenance until 3 years ago when the engine started to go. I love this car so much I had the engine rebuilt and brought it out to Los Angeles with me when I moved. I can't believe I am approaching 300,000 miles very soon! When it comes time to finally break down and buy a new car, TRUST ME, I WILL buy the same thing!!! The best and most reliable car in the world.

Favorite Features

Excellent on gas if you buy the manual transmission. Smooth riding, good looking.

Suggested Improvements

Make it a little bit more sportier with more color and interior options.

Love it
By trish

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I drove this car off the show room floor 14 years ago brand new. My first new car and I am very sad to part with it. It is very good on gas, and original AC still works, some rust and regular repairs, nothing major. It is fun to drive and a very comfortable ride. I have enjoyed it very much.

Favorite Features

compact size, roominess, gas mileage, great trunk space, get up and go, well everything

Suggested Improvements

a little more power, sluggish up big hills

Very reliable Japanese one
By Prash

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this 6 yrs ago, used. Runs like a charm. Very reliable, good fuel economy. Just give it timely oil changes and that's all it asks for. This has been our family car and it has delivered what I thought it would. It has hauled large loads, of course, with some effort, due to 4cyl engine, but it didn't give up. Except some minor repairs here and there, this is a very solid car. Roomy trunk, 60/40 foldable rear seats, very functional design, great sporty handling, responsive and reasonably comfortable. Just give it a quick wash, and the excellent coloring finish shows through.

Favorite Features

Everything about it.

A Timex!
By Jeff

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my cousin a couple years ago. It had 179k when I got it, it's now at 205k. I had to replace the headgasket due to a stupid $12 coolant bypass hose. Other than that, it runs great. I drive it around town and mileage is only about 22, but I drive it 150 miles once a week to class and consistently pull 32-33 mpg. Now with the cost of gas, I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive!!

Suggested Improvements

So-so interior, seatbelt sensor!!

Nothing can stop my Mazda
By Amy

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've driven my 1994 Mazda Protege for 13 yrs now. It has over 220,000 miles on it. My dad tried to give me his 1995 Toyota Corolla last month, which has a lot less miles on it. But I said, no thanks. It doesn't ride as well as my Mazda. It still has a very solid engine and great pick up.

Favorite Features

I love the fold down seats which allow you to put long things in the trunk. This was a feature that really drew me to the car.

Suggested Improvements

I have had to replace the front left & right CV axles several times. I wish there was a way to magically make those CV axles last a bit longer.

32 MPG
By lastlink

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Great car! I have a rarer half-year model (a 93-and-a-half) sold as a DX -- includes the larger 1.8 liter DOHC engine paired with the outstanding manual Mazda transmission and lightweight DX options (plus A/C). I average 34 MPG on the highways, and 30 in the city. Real fun to drive. Repair costs are ok: yearly exhaust problems (thankfully Midas has a lifetime warranty for free parts and labor). I changed out my spark plug wires with higher-end Bosch wires which blew out a spark plug sensor -- $800 repair. DO NOT USE BOSCH WIRES WITH THIS CAR! I bought the car with 72k miles in '97 and I'm close to 150k now. I'm planning on keeping the car 'till it's an antique!

Favorite Features

1.8l DOHC with the Mazda manual transmission! The AM/FM/Cassette stereo still sounds great. Averages 32 MPG. Higher ground clearance than similar Toyotas and Hondas (I'm 6'1"). Great trunk space and fold-down rear seats. No airbags (a fender-bender will not 'total' this car)! :)

Suggested Improvements

The automatic seatbelts are annoying. No cruise control. Annoying yearly exhaust repairs. My old mechanic couldn't seem to install a valve cover gasket correctly. Both mechanic and VCG have been replaced without further issues. :)

A Workhorse
By Claire

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car almost-new in 1994 with about 13,000 miles on it; now have 192,000. Aside from frequent brake work and multiple A/C repairs, it has not needed major repairs, just what one would expect on a car with this many miles. Still gets over 25 miles a gallon. I hate the thought of parting with it but now that my teenager is going to start driving we really need something with airbags.

Favorite Features

Zippy and fun. Extremely versatile. Good cargo space in the trunk; many, many good road trips!

Suggested Improvements

More power going uphill when the A/C is on.