Used 1994 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

The Best Of MAZDA!
By Mazda1

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this superb car in 1998. It was 4 years old with just around 48,000 miles. This is the second Protege LX I have owned, the first one being a '93 with a 5 speed, this car is an 4sp. automatic. This car is perfect in reliability and very mechanically sound. Only normal repairs and scheduled services have been done,so far nothing major. The good news is that this car has 215,500 miles on it. It uses no oil, leaks no fluids of any kind. The transmission has been flawless all those miles. If your looking for a reliable vehicle and your lucky to find one in decent shape. BUY IT! 1994 MAZDA PROTEGE LX 1.8 DOHC

Favorite Features

Low maintenance and excellent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Needs NOTHING!

Love this car
By bmc412

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan Special 4dr Sedan

This is the best little car EVER! I've had it for 11 years, and never had to do any work on it - just brakes, A/C, tires, etc. Now it has 245,000 miles with the original clutch! You can't beat that. And it's still fun to drive - the manual transmission makes it feel zippy, even though its 103 horses must be Very Tired by now.

Favorite Features

great mileage- 33-36 mpg

Great Car
By mazdkid

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $400 from my dad with about 112K mi. Have had few problems with the car the automatic seatbelt on the drivers side didn't work when i got the car due to a bad wiring connection in the door jam. it wont pass MD emissions due to a bad catalytic converter. Very reliable car. Runs like a top. it has the 1.8 SOHC with the 5-speed trans. couple mods custom cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, short shifter. with a little tweaking of the fuel pressure regulator i got 40mpg. but it kills the performance. usually gets around 30- 35mpg. Ill never get rid of this car

Favorite Features

love the gas mileage. fun to drive, roomy interior. great little car. i also love the wide range of RPMs red lines around 6000 rpms nice power band.

Suggested Improvements

no power options with the DX package. could use a little more power. does not come with a tach had to install my own.

Back from the dead...
By MDCruiser

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from someone who was gonna junk it for $300. It needed a speedo cable, front/rear rotors, new CV axles, and new front struts. I got it on the road for a total of $1200 including buying the car. I also put a new set of tires on. That was 2 years and 20k miles ago, and it's still going! All my friends make fun of it, it looks pretty beat down. But it starts every time, and even runs good in snow.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, maneuverability, power (DOHC), surprising room inside, cheap/easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

CV axles are problematic, AC stinks.

Best car in the whole world!!!
By Heather

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when I was 15 for $800. and I am now 20 and it still runs perfectly. a/c is still running perfectly, and I have had to replace the clutch, that only cost me $300,i've got a great mechanic. Other than that, this car is sooo great. It's a DX, 1.8 DOHC, manual 5 spd trans., My muffler fell off a couple months ago, probably b/c there was a big hole. The car has always been loud, now it's just super loud. It never had a pass. side mirror, but i lived. This is the best car ever, I just bought a new Mazda 3 because it was a really good deal, not b/c i needed a new car. I will keep my protege forever it has 230,000 miles now, and i will NEVER get rid of this car.

Favorite Features

Lasts forever. Will not die, ever. It handles great, shifts great, I actually like the loudness. I like it's unique,No RPM gauge, or pass. side mirror. original bumpers are black, original paint is a sand-ish color. Great car, I will never get rid of this thing.

Suggested Improvements

I guess the auto-seatbelts. But that's a 90's thing. Lots of cars had those. Ummmm....nothing else. Awesome car. Awesome car. best car ever, I promise.