1994 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
The Best Of MAZDA!
By Mazda1 on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this superb car in 1998. It was 4 years old with just around 48,000 miles. This is the second Protege LX I have owned, the first one being a '93 with a 5 speed, this car is an 4sp. automatic. This car is perfect in reliability and very mechanically sound. Only normal repairs and scheduled services have been done,so far nothing major. The good news is that this car has 215,500 miles on it. It uses no oil, leaks no fluids of any kind. The transmission has been flawless all those miles. If your looking for a reliable vehicle and your lucky to find one in decent shape. BUY IT! 1994 MAZDA PROTEGE LX 1.8 DOHC

Love this car
By bmc412 on 10/29/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan Special 4dr Sedan

This is the best little car EVER! I've had it for 11 years, and never had to do any work on it - just brakes, A/C, tires, etc. Now it has 245,000 miles with the original clutch! You can't beat that. And it's still fun to drive - the manual transmission makes it feel zippy, even though its 103 horses must be Very Tired by now.

Great Car
By mazdkid on 07/14/09 19:41 PM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $400 from my dad with about 112K mi. Have had few problems with the car the automatic seatbelt on the drivers side didn't work when i got the car due to a bad wiring connection in the door jam. it wont pass MD emissions due to a bad catalytic converter. Very reliable car. Runs like a top. it has the 1.8 SOHC with the 5-speed trans. couple mods custom cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, short shifter. with a little tweaking of the fuel pressure regulator i got 40mpg. but it kills the performance. usually gets around 30- 35mpg. Ill never get rid of this car

Back from the dead...
By MDCruiser on 03/18/09 13:50 PM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from someone who was gonna junk it for $300. It needed a speedo cable, front/rear rotors, new CV axles, and new front struts. I got it on the road for a total of $1200 including buying the car. I also put a new set of tires on. That was 2 years and 20k miles ago, and it's still going! All my friends make fun of it, it looks pretty beat down. But it starts every time, and even runs good in snow.

Best car in the whole world!!!
By Heather on 02/26/09 22:05 PM (PST)

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when I was 15 for $800. and I am now 20 and it still runs perfectly. a/c is still running perfectly, and I have had to replace the clutch, that only cost me $300,i've got a great mechanic. Other than that, this car is sooo great. It's a DX, 1.8 DOHC, manual 5 spd trans., My muffler fell off a couple months ago, probably b/c there was a big hole. The car has always been loud, now it's just super loud. It never had a pass. side mirror, but i lived. This is the best car ever, I just bought a new Mazda 3 because it was a really good deal, not b/c i needed a new car. I will keep my protege forever it has 230,000 miles now, and i will NEVER get rid of this car.

Best car i've ever owned (R.I.P.)
By Damien on 10/09/08 19:01 PM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Mazda Protege for 7 years now. Bought it with 98000 miles on it. 5spd DX 4door no power anything. I would drive this like a bat out of hell sometimes and normal the next. It now has 270,000 miles on it. Replaced alternator once, battery once, radiator hoses twice. I think the first set was faulty. Simple problems, simple fixes, standard. Nothing else has gone wrong with this car other than than that. I was t-boned in a wreck few months ago and bashed my doors in. Car looks half pinched in middle. I still drive it around town for the hell of it before my insurance runs out. Still does 120 mph. 30 mpg and will not die. I will miss it. Damn good car!

The BEST Purchase!!!
By dayvis28 on 09/12/08 17:00 PM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right off the lot BRAND NEW in Oct. of 1994. I am STILL driving it today with almost 300,000 miles on it!!! I haven't had a lot of repair work on it throughout most of it's life, mostly exhaust and regular maintenance until 3 years ago when the engine started to go. I love this car so much I had the engine rebuilt and brought it out to Los Angeles with me when I moved. I can't believe I am approaching 300,000 miles very soon! When it comes time to finally break down and buy a new car, TRUST ME, I WILL buy the same thing!!! The best and most reliable car in the world.

Love it
By trish on 08/12/08 06:31 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I drove this car off the show room floor 14 years ago brand new. My first new car and I am very sad to part with it. It is very good on gas, and original AC still works, some rust and regular repairs, nothing major. It is fun to drive and a very comfortable ride. I have enjoyed it very much.

Very reliable Japanese one
By Prash on 05/26/08 11:43 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this 6 yrs ago, used. Runs like a charm. Very reliable, good fuel economy. Just give it timely oil changes and that's all it asks for. This has been our family car and it has delivered what I thought it would. It has hauled large loads, of course, with some effort, due to 4cyl engine, but it didn't give up. Except some minor repairs here and there, this is a very solid car. Roomy trunk, 60/40 foldable rear seats, very functional design, great sporty handling, responsive and reasonably comfortable. Just give it a quick wash, and the excellent coloring finish shows through.

A Timex!
By Jeff on 04/07/08 10:03 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my cousin a couple years ago. It had 179k when I got it, it's now at 205k. I had to replace the headgasket due to a stupid $12 coolant bypass hose. Other than that, it runs great. I drive it around town and mileage is only about 22, but I drive it 150 miles once a week to class and consistently pull 32-33 mpg. Now with the cost of gas, I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

1 2 3 4 5 next »