1994 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
The Best Of MAZDA!
By Mazda1 on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this superb car in 1998. It was 4 years old with just around 48,000 miles. This is the second Protege LX I have owned, the first one being a '93 with a 5 speed, this car is an 4sp. automatic. This car is perfect in reliability and very mechanically sound. Only normal repairs and scheduled services have been done,so far nothing major. The good news is that this car has 215,500 miles on it. It uses no oil, leaks no fluids of any kind. The transmission has been flawless all those miles. If your looking for a reliable vehicle and your lucky to find one in decent shape. BUY IT! 1994 MAZDA PROTEGE LX 1.8 DOHC

Back from the dead...
By MDCruiser on 03/18/09 13:50 PM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from someone who was gonna junk it for $300. It needed a speedo cable, front/rear rotors, new CV axles, and new front struts. I got it on the road for a total of $1200 including buying the car. I also put a new set of tires on. That was 2 years and 20k miles ago, and it's still going! All my friends make fun of it, it looks pretty beat down. But it starts every time, and even runs good in snow.

pretty good
By jmcali on 01/16/06 23:16 PM (PST)

1994 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and have had it for over 3 years; overall it's been a good commuter car. I would recommend, however, a manual transmission. I had to rebuild/replace my automatic twice within the first two years (over $2000 in repair) and it is needing work a third time. I was told by both mechanics that these cars tend to be given very poor automatic transmissions and that the Mazdas with manuals do much better. Expected at its age, I have had other minor repairs needed, but this was the only major issue.

A nice little car.
By Mike Barone on 06/20/05 13:26 PM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This car is a great reliable car. Ive had very little problems with it, but the stuff that did go wrong was pricy. The engine is very strong, I have had no problems with the motor.

Over all, Solid
By Mike B on 01/06/05 19:47 PM (PST)

1994 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I think it's a great little car. Very peppy. I live in Rochester NY and it's murder on most cars in the winter but my Protege never seems to get any rust on it. I've had a few things go wrong -- belt broke, thermostat, AC. Those are all normal things that need fixing after 100,000 miles. I enjoy working on the car myself. No matter what I do to it, it just keeps going. I've know some other people who own them and they say that the engine will go to 200k, no problem. I love the car and wouldn't trade it for anything.

A reliable car
By KPVN on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Mazda for 10 years. It has overall been really reliable. I'm glad to know though that I'm not the only one to have the seatbelt buzzer problem. It drove me NUTS for about 3 years until I finally had the mechanic disable the buzzer.When I first got my car I heard a highpitched noise from the window seal on the driver side, at highway speeds.This problem went away by itself after a few years.I had to have the air conditioner replaced (expensive..it was around $1200) and I've also had the cv joints and most of the exhaust system replaced. The horn always went out recently.

Over 150,000 miles
By Sam Vasan on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought Mazda Protege - LX in 1994. It did meet with 2 accidents due to driver fault. It now has over 150,000 miles and still drives good.

Execellent first time car
By looseylou on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Its an excellent car ofr first time drivers or car owners. Its the first car i got to call my own and i love it!

Hard to Beat
By joellein on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in late '94. Has 5 sp and dual cam engine. Very spunky and generally fun to drive, even now with 106K. Air cond. had to be replaced this year---quite expensive. Both axles been replaced. Other than that, just brakes, tires and oil changes. Never has used a drop of oil between changes. A Great Car!!