1993 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Excellent Used Car
By miggitymazda on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 with about 48,000 miles on it. I haven't worried about it since. Aside from common upkeep and maintanance, I've had to replace the rotors/calipers and the front axel. This is probably largely due to the amount of salt that's used here in the winter. The interior has some issues. The A/C no longer works and the temp. gauge is stuck near hot. Overall, it's a great little car for little money. Peppy engine and nice handling. I like its performance more than our 2001 corolla.

a good little car
By mazdalx on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new, now have 155K on it, no real problems other than the a/c. New water pump at 135K, CV shafts at 105K...ended up replacing virtually the entire a/c unit back in 2000, compressor corroded right through, has a slow leak in it again just this week, will not be replacing the compressor again. Car has never been garaged, maybe that has something to do with it, still get 27-8 mpg going to work everyday, can't beat that, get the 5 speed for better performance, am on original clutch, shifts are still great, quick little car, overall have been happy, would buy another one, but am moving up to a big car.

I love my car
By StellaTbird on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1993. I have totally enjoyed it. I have not had anything I would call major go wrong with it. Normal maintance and just plain worn out is about it. Like timming belt & cv boot etc. I did blow a spark plug and had a leak in the ratiator. It does burn a little oil now. After 10 years and 120,000 miles you would be tired too. I once had a problem with the selt belt light coming on and staying on. I took it to the Mazda dealer and they fixed it for free. They told me Mazda does not mess around with problems with the belts. I would buy Mazda again for sure.

It Gets Me There... And Back!
By lifeskills on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought it with 119,000K and now have 147,000K in nearly 4 years. Do the math and see that many people do that in just one year. With such low mileage, I expect the muffler to rust out at least every 18 months (as any car would, under the same conditions) And the engine is starting to 'sweat' a little oil, giving the car a constant burned-oil smell. My wife has left the lights on a few times, but a boost brings this old timer right back to life. When I need it, this car gets me there... and gets me back!

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom.....
By DCMAHAAN on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 5 speed '93 protege in winter 2000 @ 135,000 miles for $1500 with some exterior paint damages. i thought it was too high miles & took the risk, totally based on what the previous first owner told me, since i trusted him! had some fixing like fan belt, brakes & mufflers done besides regular 3500 mile oil change. but i am still driving it with 177,000 miles now. i would recommend to anyone to buy a used mazda protege, probably the best alternative to honda & toyota i can think off!!!

Guess it is a reliable car
By jxc328 on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 54000 miles in 1998 and I spent thousands $$ to repair it: 4 breaks, alternators, mufflers/pipes, one hose. There sounds a little transmission problem but it is still OK if you do not want to repair it and it generates about 30mpg/highway and 24mpg/city. The electric system and AC may suck your $$$.

Resilient Little Four Banger
By MADMAN409 on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car in '99, it gets more miles put on it than some cars get in three years. It's a great little car, It hasn't had real bad problems except a minor fiasco with the radiator. I get a combined City and Highway mlilage of about 35 mpg (HOW MANY CARS WITH 270,000 MILES CAN SAY THAT!!). The car is surprisingly zippy for having only 125 horsepower. I would highly recomend a 93-95 vintage Protege to anyone who wants a very reliable, durable, and reasonably sporty little car but doesn't have a lot of money (Basiclly anyone like me).

Fun Fun Fun
By Coachmilici on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

My protege is a great and reliable car. I have replaced the radiator, and that is it! I cannot stress enough that this car is reliable. The 1.8L engine is an excelent combination with the cars weight and size. I highly recomend this car over a Honda Civic any day!

Best value around
By A. Tutter on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Bought used in 1996 with 54,000 miles. Now have 132,000. Only major problems have been the front axles (one replaced under warranty, the other was out of warranty and cost $300), the radiator ($400), and a component of the ignition system ($200). Definitely not bad for six years and 78,000 miles of use! Another point: the proteges seem to be much more rust-resistant than some other Japanese cars of the same age...

just got the car
By shaggy on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I had a mitsubishi eclipse before this i totaled it ....I was sad and only got 2000 for the old car...And after nightmare after nightmare looking for a car for 2000 i found a mazda protage and i am very satasfied....Runs like new and gets good gas milage... I could have found a beter car for me... PS and there good cars but not over priced like honda....