Used 1993 Mazda Protege DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1993 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

I really loved this car.
By Best Old Car.

1993 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me by my dad, who ended up moving up to a SUV. It has never had any problems in the years I've had it. I got it with 150 thousand miles on it and since I've had it it now reads 264 thousand! I am sadly going to have to let it go, not due to the car giving up, just that I'm unsure about how many more miles it really has in it. I plan on passing the car along to another person in the family. The reliability is unmatched among my friends and I was always the one chosen to drive on long trips because of the gas mileage. I had the manual and it really had that vroom- vroom that just makes you feel good. Plus the space was great for camping, could fit everything plus a Lab!

Favorite Features

The reliability, mpgs, space, and the peppiness.

Suggested Improvements

It wasn't all that attractive. But honestly that was totally outweighed by everything else.

Best car I have ever owned
By rex

1993 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

i needed a car to hold me over for a few months. i bought it off a little old lady that literally just drove it to church on sundays. i asked if she had any problems with it, she said never. i have had it for nearly 4 years and the only thing that i have done to it is new tires, brakes, and a battery. it always starts. i was out of town for several months through the dead of the winter and when i got back, i got in and started it... you would never have known that it had just been sitting outside for that long in all the elements. i now have 130k on it and it is still strong... my mechanic said i should get 200k before i will have to do anything to it. i recommend the 93 protege very highly!

Favorite Features

i actually like the fact that i used to take my friends to the shop to get their volvos and bmw's fixed and their regular bills are 1200, which is what i paid for my mazda. i like the automatic seatbelts, i will never get a ticket for not having my seatbelt on, unless i am in somebodies elses car

Suggested Improvements

i noticed the paint on this year of mazda seems to really oxidize, i did have it repainted. i also am having air conditioning issues, which seems to be pretty common as well.

Mazda Protege 1993
By Selx1

1993 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car three years ago with 273,000 kms on it. Replaced the exhaust, replaced water pump and timing belt. Body work etc. Almost 80,000 kms added to the total... sitting at 358,000 kms now. Does not burn oil. Still has lots of power, great on the highway. Would buy another in a heart beat.

Review of 1993 Mazda Protege Over 12 Yrs
By TurtleLady

1993 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this teal 1993 Mazda Protege DX 4Dr new off the lot in 1993. I've had it for 12 years now, and it's been a very dependable car. The fabric on the ceiling is beginning to tear, and the drivers side seat has a small wear- through. The paint is peeling. But in terms of mechanical reliability I couldn't be happier! It has had 3 major replacements of the steering system, but all were within 5 year warranty period. I was driving 55 down the highway when I had a rear blowout. I only knew it because I smelled rubber and saw pieces of tire flying up in the rear view mirror. The handling of the car did not change! I'd buy another one without hesitation!

Favorite Features

Tight handling like a sports car. Safety features second to none! I've been rear ended 6 times by large pickups and vans - no more damage than a dent in the bumper. Tachometer to see how hard engine is struggling. Outstanding gas mileage (35 mpg). Fold down seats 60/40 split.

Suggested Improvements

Make paint more durable. Better quality sound system - this is a little scratchy.

CANT BREAK IT
By Reikoshea

1993 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have put about 80,000 miles on this car and I bought it with 150,000 on it. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I drive my cars harder than anyone. I cannot break this thing. I have had to replace a tie rod and an alternator in 4 years. I have run this car into a mailbox, bottomed it out countless times and e-braked around corners more times than i can count, and it still runs. The only thing holding this car back is the look. It looks just like every other import of the year and truth be told it isn't that appealing, but it'll still get up and go with the best of them. If you need a daily driver with little maintenance, I'd recommend buying my Protege when I sell it.

Favorite Features

All Ii can say is wow about this car. It doesn't look like much on the outside, but if you drive it right (hard) you'll make some Miata's look. I love the car, but I need something with better paint. It's hard to get a date with a sunburned car.

Suggested Improvements

Style and paint. The car is very ugly in my humble opinion. Also the paint fades and burns very quickly.