Used 1993 Mazda Protege LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1993 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Mr. Incredible
By J-Wall

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and doesn't look so hot on the outside. For a guy that's 6'5'' and 200 lbs it isn't the v8 truck i was hoping for. But this car handles well and somehow i fit in it everyday. Its fun to drive and it races well (surprisingly) the color looks like faded puke and the ac totally went out last winter (which means heater too) but other than self maintenance on that and the usual stuff this thing has packed 7 people in it at one time, helped us move from one house to another, and gets me into trouble because its so light weight and the rwd makes it easier to drift around corners ;) also the trunk fits an air tight box that has two 12' sub woofers. GREAT car and I'm going to keep it!

Favorite Features

smooth handling sun roof power windows power steering anti lock brakes heater/ac and seats lay ALL the way flat ;)

Suggested Improvements

car needs better paint colors but other than that its just about perfect and seems to be affordable no matter where you look!

Very Dependable Car
By tjsd

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in June of 1993. Was my first brand new car. Had the recommended maintainence. In the 15 yrs. I've had it never and any major repairs on it that I had to pay out of pocket. I have drove it from NY to WA to CA replaced the clutch 3 times first time at over 100k. I keep it clean and have kept all maint. record since owning it. I paid it off in 1997 and 10 yrs of no payments is very nice. Plan on keeping it for quite some time. My one complaint about it is that the power windows are on the slow side and is in need od a new driverside window unit. She still looks great at 15 yrs old!

Favorite Features

Seat has a thigh lift that give me a few more inches of leg room. I stand at 6'3".

Suggested Improvements

Faster power windows. Although they don't make them anymore.

Very Happy..
By grover738

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Bought for only $2850 from auto auction with 61,000 miles in 1998. Now have 111,000. I've replaced brakes, battery, tires, both CV joints, exhaust system, air intake hose. Only CV joints and intake were "non consumables". I've never been stranded by the car. Very happy with 1.8L DOHC engine, 30 mpg and fun to rev. Clutch is original. Bad: both CV joints failed, one at 105k and the other at 110k. Air intake hose cracked and went at 100k. Rear doors now "stiff" to close. Sways more than it should in corners. No ABS, no airbags. Good: Reliable, economical, roomier than it looks.

good car
By stefo

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I have bought my Protege in December 99. Some rusts problems, I had to change exhausts, I have some problems with rear breaks blocking during winter teime. A good car overall, I recommend the Protege, especially with 1.8l DOCH 16-valve.

Favorite Features

Good engine. Very good seats.

Suggested Improvements

Protection against corrosion.

Excellent Used Car
By miggitymazda

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 with about 48,000 miles on it. I haven't worried about it since. Aside from common upkeep and maintanance, I've had to replace the rotors/calipers and the front axel. This is probably largely due to the amount of salt that's used here in the winter. The interior has some issues. The A/C no longer works and the temp. gauge is stuck near hot. Overall, it's a great little car for little money. Peppy engine and nice handling. I like its performance more than our 2001 corolla.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, very reliable, great gas mileage for a 93 car.

Suggested Improvements

A few annoyances with interior. Exterior engine parts don't stand up well against salt.