1993 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Mr. Incredible
By J-Wall on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and doesn't look so hot on the outside. For a guy that's 6'5'' and 200 lbs it isn't the v8 truck i was hoping for. But this car handles well and somehow i fit in it everyday. Its fun to drive and it races well (surprisingly) the color looks like faded puke and the ac totally went out last winter (which means heater too) but other than self maintenance on that and the usual stuff this thing has packed 7 people in it at one time, helped us move from one house to another, and gets me into trouble because its so light weight and the rwd makes it easier to drift around corners ;) also the trunk fits an air tight box that has two 12' sub woofers. GREAT car and I'm going to keep it!

Very Dependable Car
By tjsd on 12/12/08 14:42 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in June of 1993. Was my first brand new car. Had the recommended maintainence. In the 15 yrs. I've had it never and any major repairs on it that I had to pay out of pocket. I have drove it from NY to WA to CA replaced the clutch 3 times first time at over 100k. I keep it clean and have kept all maint. record since owning it. I paid it off in 1997 and 10 yrs of no payments is very nice. Plan on keeping it for quite some time. My one complaint about it is that the power windows are on the slow side and is in need od a new driverside window unit. She still looks great at 15 yrs old!

Very Happy..
By grover738 on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Bought for only $2850 from auto auction with 61,000 miles in 1998. Now have 111,000. I've replaced brakes, battery, tires, both CV joints, exhaust system, air intake hose. Only CV joints and intake were "non consumables". I've never been stranded by the car. Very happy with 1.8L DOHC engine, 30 mpg and fun to rev. Clutch is original. Bad: both CV joints failed, one at 105k and the other at 110k. Air intake hose cracked and went at 100k. Rear doors now "stiff" to close. Sways more than it should in corners. No ABS, no airbags. Good: Reliable, economical, roomier than it looks.

good car
By stefo on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I have bought my Protege in December 99. Some rusts problems, I had to change exhausts, I have some problems with rear breaks blocking during winter teime. A good car overall, I recommend the Protege, especially with 1.8l DOCH 16-valve.

Excellent Used Car
By miggitymazda on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 with about 48,000 miles on it. I haven't worried about it since. Aside from common upkeep and maintanance, I've had to replace the rotors/calipers and the front axel. This is probably largely due to the amount of salt that's used here in the winter. The interior has some issues. The A/C no longer works and the temp. gauge is stuck near hot. Overall, it's a great little car for little money. Peppy engine and nice handling. I like its performance more than our 2001 corolla.

a good little car
By mazdalx on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new, now have 155K on it, no real problems other than the a/c. New water pump at 135K, CV shafts at 105K...ended up replacing virtually the entire a/c unit back in 2000, compressor corroded right through, has a slow leak in it again just this week, will not be replacing the compressor again. Car has never been garaged, maybe that has something to do with it, still get 27-8 mpg going to work everyday, can't beat that, get the 5 speed for better performance, am on original clutch, shifts are still great, quick little car, overall have been happy, would buy another one, but am moving up to a big car.

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom.....
By DCMAHAAN on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 5 speed '93 protege in winter 2000 @ 135,000 miles for $1500 with some exterior paint damages. i thought it was too high miles & took the risk, totally based on what the previous first owner told me, since i trusted him! had some fixing like fan belt, brakes & mufflers done besides regular 3500 mile oil change. but i am still driving it with 177,000 miles now. i would recommend to anyone to buy a used mazda protege, probably the best alternative to honda & toyota i can think off!!!

Guess it is a reliable car
By jxc328 on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 54000 miles in 1998 and I spent thousands $$ to repair it: 4 breaks, alternators, mufflers/pipes, one hose. There sounds a little transmission problem but it is still OK if you do not want to repair it and it generates about 30mpg/highway and 24mpg/city. The electric system and AC may suck your $$$.

Resilient Little Four Banger
By MADMAN409 on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car in '99, it gets more miles put on it than some cars get in three years. It's a great little car, It hasn't had real bad problems except a minor fiasco with the radiator. I get a combined City and Highway mlilage of about 35 mpg (HOW MANY CARS WITH 270,000 MILES CAN SAY THAT!!). The car is surprisingly zippy for having only 125 horsepower. I would highly recomend a 93-95 vintage Protege to anyone who wants a very reliable, durable, and reasonably sporty little car but doesn't have a lot of money (Basiclly anyone like me).

Fun Fun Fun
By Coachmilici on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

My protege is a great and reliable car. I have replaced the radiator, and that is it! I cannot stress enough that this car is reliable. The 1.8L engine is an excelent combination with the cars weight and size. I highly recomend this car over a Honda Civic any day!