1993 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Mr. Incredible
By J-Wall on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and doesn't look so hot on the outside. For a guy that's 6'5'' and 200 lbs it isn't the v8 truck i was hoping for. But this car handles well and somehow i fit in it everyday. Its fun to drive and it races well (surprisingly) the color looks like faded puke and the ac totally went out last winter (which means heater too) but other than self maintenance on that and the usual stuff this thing has packed 7 people in it at one time, helped us move from one house to another, and gets me into trouble because its so light weight and the rwd makes it easier to drift around corners ;) also the trunk fits an air tight box that has two 12' sub woofers. GREAT car and I'm going to keep it!

I really loved this car.
By Best Old Car. on 11/08/09 15:55 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me by my dad, who ended up moving up to a SUV. It has never had any problems in the years I've had it. I got it with 150 thousand miles on it and since I've had it it now reads 264 thousand! I am sadly going to have to let it go, not due to the car giving up, just that I'm unsure about how many more miles it really has in it. I plan on passing the car along to another person in the family. The reliability is unmatched among my friends and I was always the one chosen to drive on long trips because of the gas mileage. I had the manual and it really had that vroom- vroom that just makes you feel good. Plus the space was great for camping, could fit everything plus a Lab!

Best car I have ever owned
By rex on 07/23/09 11:09 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

i needed a car to hold me over for a few months. i bought it off a little old lady that literally just drove it to church on sundays. i asked if she had any problems with it, she said never. i have had it for nearly 4 years and the only thing that i have done to it is new tires, brakes, and a battery. it always starts. i was out of town for several months through the dead of the winter and when i got back, i got in and started it... you would never have known that it had just been sitting outside for that long in all the elements. i now have 130k on it and it is still strong... my mechanic said i should get 200k before i will have to do anything to it. i recommend the 93 protege very highly!

Very Dependable Car
By tjsd on 12/12/08 14:42 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in June of 1993. Was my first brand new car. Had the recommended maintainence. In the 15 yrs. I've had it never and any major repairs on it that I had to pay out of pocket. I have drove it from NY to WA to CA replaced the clutch 3 times first time at over 100k. I keep it clean and have kept all maint. record since owning it. I paid it off in 1997 and 10 yrs of no payments is very nice. Plan on keeping it for quite some time. My one complaint about it is that the power windows are on the slow side and is in need od a new driverside window unit. She still looks great at 15 yrs old!

Mazda Protege 1993
By Selx1 on 08/13/08 21:55 PM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car three years ago with 273,000 kms on it. Replaced the exhaust, replaced water pump and timing belt. Body work etc. Almost 80,000 kms added to the total... sitting at 358,000 kms now. Does not burn oil. Still has lots of power, great on the highway. Would buy another in a heart beat.

Review of 1993 Mazda Protege Over 12 Yrs
By TurtleLady on 02/28/06 19:19 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this teal 1993 Mazda Protege DX 4Dr new off the lot in 1993. I've had it for 12 years now, and it's been a very dependable car. The fabric on the ceiling is beginning to tear, and the drivers side seat has a small wear- through. The paint is peeling. But in terms of mechanical reliability I couldn't be happier! It has had 3 major replacements of the steering system, but all were within 5 year warranty period. I was driving 55 down the highway when I had a rear blowout. I only knew it because I smelled rubber and saw pieces of tire flying up in the rear view mirror. The handling of the car did not change! I'd buy another one without hesitation!

CANT BREAK IT
By Reikoshea on 06/12/05 00:42 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I have put about 80,000 miles on this car and I bought it with 150,000 on it. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I drive my cars harder than anyone. I cannot break this thing. I have had to replace a tie rod and an alternator in 4 years. I have run this car into a mailbox, bottomed it out countless times and e-braked around corners more times than i can count, and it still runs. The only thing holding this car back is the look. It looks just like every other import of the year and truth be told it isn't that appealing, but it'll still get up and go with the best of them. If you need a daily driver with little maintenance, I'd recommend buying my Protege when I sell it.

Forever new
By Mark on 03/16/05 10:19 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I've had my '93 DX since July 1994 and I still drive it everyday 70 miles round trip to work and back, through snowstorms and blazing summer heat. This is one well built car. I have 170,000 on it so far; replaced the usual - front axles at 95,000, timing belt at 110,000 (really didnt need it but I got nervous), ball joints just this summer and then the usual maintenance. Haven't had a car payment in 9 years which makes me smile everyday and the car still drives like it did the day we bought it. I can tell the crankshaft seals are deteriorating as is the seal around the distributor (smell oil burning and can see buildup of oil in these areas) but if I have to sink even $500 into it still rocks!

Very Happy..
By grover738 on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Bought for only $2850 from auto auction with 61,000 miles in 1998. Now have 111,000. I've replaced brakes, battery, tires, both CV joints, exhaust system, air intake hose. Only CV joints and intake were "non consumables". I've never been stranded by the car. Very happy with 1.8L DOHC engine, 30 mpg and fun to rev. Clutch is original. Bad: both CV joints failed, one at 105k and the other at 110k. Air intake hose cracked and went at 100k. Rear doors now "stiff" to close. Sways more than it should in corners. No ABS, no airbags. Good: Reliable, economical, roomier than it looks.

good car
By stefo on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I have bought my Protege in December 99. Some rusts problems, I had to change exhausts, I have some problems with rear breaks blocking during winter teime. A good car overall, I recommend the Protege, especially with 1.8l DOCH 16-valve.