Used 1993 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Mr. Incredible
By J-Wall

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and doesn't look so hot on the outside. For a guy that's 6'5'' and 200 lbs it isn't the v8 truck i was hoping for. But this car handles well and somehow i fit in it everyday. Its fun to drive and it races well (surprisingly) the color looks like faded puke and the ac totally went out last winter (which means heater too) but other than self maintenance on that and the usual stuff this thing has packed 7 people in it at one time, helped us move from one house to another, and gets me into trouble because its so light weight and the rwd makes it easier to drift around corners ;) also the trunk fits an air tight box that has two 12' sub woofers. GREAT car and I'm going to keep it!

smooth handling sun roof power windows power steering anti lock brakes heater/ac and seats lay ALL the way flat ;)

car needs better paint colors but other than that its just about perfect and seems to be affordable no matter where you look!

I really loved this car.
By Best Old Car.

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me by my dad, who ended up moving up to a SUV. It has never had any problems in the years I've had it. I got it with 150 thousand miles on it and since I've had it it now reads 264 thousand! I am sadly going to have to let it go, not due to the car giving up, just that I'm unsure about how many more miles it really has in it. I plan on passing the car along to another person in the family. The reliability is unmatched among my friends and I was always the one chosen to drive on long trips because of the gas mileage. I had the manual and it really had that vroom- vroom that just makes you feel good. Plus the space was great for camping, could fit everything plus a Lab!

The reliability, mpgs, space, and the peppiness.

It wasn't all that attractive. But honestly that was totally outweighed by everything else.

Best car I have ever owned
By rex

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

i needed a car to hold me over for a few months. i bought it off a little old lady that literally just drove it to church on sundays. i asked if she had any problems with it, she said never. i have had it for nearly 4 years and the only thing that i have done to it is new tires, brakes, and a battery. it always starts. i was out of town for several months through the dead of the winter and when i got back, i got in and started it... you would never have known that it had just been sitting outside for that long in all the elements. i now have 130k on it and it is still strong... my mechanic said i should get 200k before i will have to do anything to it. i recommend the 93 protege very highly!

i actually like the fact that i used to take my friends to the shop to get their volvos and bmw's fixed and their regular bills are 1200, which is what i paid for my mazda. i like the automatic seatbelts, i will never get a ticket for not having my seatbelt on, unless i am in somebodies elses car

i noticed the paint on this year of mazda seems to really oxidize, i did have it repainted. i also am having air conditioning issues, which seems to be pretty common as well.

Very Dependable Car
By tjsd

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in June of 1993. Was my first brand new car. Had the recommended maintainence. In the 15 yrs. I've had it never and any major repairs on it that I had to pay out of pocket. I have drove it from NY to WA to CA replaced the clutch 3 times first time at over 100k. I keep it clean and have kept all maint. record since owning it. I paid it off in 1997 and 10 yrs of no payments is very nice. Plan on keeping it for quite some time. My one complaint about it is that the power windows are on the slow side and is in need od a new driverside window unit. She still looks great at 15 yrs old!

Seat has a thigh lift that give me a few more inches of leg room. I stand at 6'3".

Faster power windows. Although they don't make them anymore.

Mazda Protege 1993
By Selx1

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car three years ago with 273,000 kms on it. Replaced the exhaust, replaced water pump and timing belt. Body work etc. Almost 80,000 kms added to the total... sitting at 358,000 kms now. Does not burn oil. Still has lots of power, great on the highway. Would buy another in a heart beat.