Used 1993 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Most Helpful|
Very Happy..
By grover738

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Bought for only $2850 from auto auction with 61,000 miles in 1998. Now have 111,000. I've replaced brakes, battery, tires, both CV joints, exhaust system, air intake hose. Only CV joints and intake were "non consumables". I've never been stranded by the car. Very happy with 1.8L DOHC engine, 30 mpg and fun to rev. Clutch is original. Bad: both CV joints failed, one at 105k and the other at 110k. Air intake hose cracked and went at 100k. Rear doors now "stiff" to close. Sways more than it should in corners. No ABS, no airbags. Good: Reliable, economical, roomier than it looks.

The little engine that could
By Matt Morgan

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This car just goes and goes and goes. I have not been the best at maintaining it, yet it continues to run great. I got it used with 43,100 miles on it and now it has 218,000. The only major repair I have had in 5 years was replacement of the front axle. Otherwise, this care has been virtually trouble-free. Wish this car was more comfortable and quiet, though.

Favorite Features

Decent acceleration with manual, high reliability, features are accessible, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Too much engine noise, seats a bit uncomfortable.

CANT BREAK IT
By Reikoshea

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I have put about 80,000 miles on this car and I bought it with 150,000 on it. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I drive my cars harder than anyone. I cannot break this thing. I have had to replace a tie rod and an alternator in 4 years. I have run this car into a mailbox, bottomed it out countless times and e-braked around corners more times than i can count, and it still runs. The only thing holding this car back is the look. It looks just like every other import of the year and truth be told it isn't that appealing, but it'll still get up and go with the best of them. If you need a daily driver with little maintenance, I'd recommend buying my Protege when I sell it.

Favorite Features

All Ii can say is wow about this car. It doesn't look like much on the outside, but if you drive it right (hard) you'll make some Miata's look. I love the car, but I need something with better paint. It's hard to get a date with a sunburned car.

Suggested Improvements

Style and paint. The car is very ugly in my humble opinion. Also the paint fades and burns very quickly.

Resilient Little Four Banger
By MADMAN409

1993 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car in '99, it gets more miles put on it than some cars get in three years. It's a great little car, It hasn't had real bad problems except a minor fiasco with the radiator. I get a combined City and Highway mlilage of about 35 mpg (HOW MANY CARS WITH 270,000 MILES CAN SAY THAT!!). The car is surprisingly zippy for having only 125 horsepower. I would highly recomend a 93-95 vintage Protege to anyone who wants a very reliable, durable, and reasonably sporty little car but doesn't have a lot of money (Basiclly anyone like me).

Favorite Features

Giddy up and go, control placement and access, gas mileage, durability.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of all those funky parts that cost twice as much and are hard to replace- why do you use a plastic radiator?

Best car I have ever owned
By rex

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

i needed a car to hold me over for a few months. i bought it off a little old lady that literally just drove it to church on sundays. i asked if she had any problems with it, she said never. i have had it for nearly 4 years and the only thing that i have done to it is new tires, brakes, and a battery. it always starts. i was out of town for several months through the dead of the winter and when i got back, i got in and started it... you would never have known that it had just been sitting outside for that long in all the elements. i now have 130k on it and it is still strong... my mechanic said i should get 200k before i will have to do anything to it. i recommend the 93 protege very highly!

Favorite Features

i actually like the fact that i used to take my friends to the shop to get their volvos and bmw's fixed and their regular bills are 1200, which is what i paid for my mazda. i like the automatic seatbelts, i will never get a ticket for not having my seatbelt on, unless i am in somebodies elses car

Suggested Improvements

i noticed the paint on this year of mazda seems to really oxidize, i did have it repainted. i also am having air conditioning issues, which seems to be pretty common as well.