Original Owner of 92 LX
By New92 on
1992 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan
This was my 1st new car and 13 years later I am still happy with my choice. There is a lack of torque below 3500rpm but above that the engine really comes alive. The gearing is bit low so running 70mph in 5th is above 3K rpm. Good for passing acceleration at hwy speeds. Gas mileage is about 33mpg on the hwy. I have not done much preventive maintenance other than oil changes. The car handles pretty well for a front drive. The 4 wheel disk brakes do a good job. The body style still looks good. I have replaced most of the common parts such as CV joints, water pump, exhaust parts and it eats plug wires - I think I'm on my 4th set. The AC still blows ice cold without ever being recharged.
Favorite Features
1. The anti-stat button by the door lock. Great feature! 2. 2nd & 3rd gear accelation at high rpm. 3. Fold down rear seats. 4. Still fun to drive and handles ok with original suspension parts. 5. LX features - body color mirrors and bumpers + power options.
Suggested Improvements
1. They did eventually get rid of the auto-seatbelts. They are the worst feature of the car.