1992 Mazda Protege LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1992 Protege Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Sort Reviews by

almost at 350k and kickin'
By Robert

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two years ago at 196k miles. I've driven it like mad and have realized this car to be phenomenal. It's been through nearly everything you could think of, yet it hasn't given a hint of exhaustion. I recommend this Mazda to buy- but I'd hang on to it!

Favorite Features

zippy trans. comfy seats, great visibility, and good and stingy with the fuel!

Suggested Improvements

seatbelt- it beeps sometime for no reason!?

1992 protege great little car
By gerouch

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car 5 months ago for $800.00 and that was the best money ever spent. Car had 163,000 miles on it and I have put 10,000 more miles on it since then and probably saved over $1,000 in gas money so far, if not more. Had a gas guzzling Dodge Ram that got 14 mpg and this Protege gets 37 mpg. With gas price the way they are, this car will be around for ever if I can help it. Don't like auto seat belt but will cope with that.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, and drivability.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belts.

Still going strong
By JGB

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

One of the best buys I've ever made! Perfect car for my then young family starting out and we've had to get a bigger vehicle (3 kids) but she's still my daily car at 140k miles. No major issues but have replaced the cat, timing chain, and windshield. Modifications added are a CD player, 15 inch rims, Magna Flow muffler, and converted the A/C to R-134A. My soon to be teens keep asking when I'm going to get myself a new car so they can have the Mazda! LOL They'll be waiting a few years longer...

Favorite Features

Reliabilty.

Suggested Improvements

Better horsepower (should have been a 2 liter), lose the automatic seatbelts.

Great Car
By Craig

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great car 158,000 miles with original clutch. I have had to change both axles, rotors, and the car has a bad valve seal guide ... common for the year, so it tends to smoke on a cold start. It takes a beating and keeps coming back for more.

Favorite Features

Dashboard. Interior. Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Paint job is fading horribly.

Quality Car
By dsdickinson

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car nearly 14 years and it has been flawless even with 281,000 miles. I still have the original clutch and the engine has never been worked on except for timing belts, tune ups and a new radiator. The car gets 32 mpg, the AC still works with never a recharge and there are no rust problems. I plan to buy a new Mazda 3 and will keep this one for winter driving, I want to get 300,000 out of it!

Favorite Features

Very smooth engine and incredible reliability and quality throughout. I question how many cars are this well made and still running as well as mine does.

Suggested Improvements

The radio display is hard to see in daylight. The cupholders are too close to the dash; they have since been moved to the center of the front seats. Improved access to the headlights for replacing them would be a big plus. I have to remove the battery and perform Houdini manners to change the bulbs.

Original Owner of 92 LX
By New92

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was my 1st new car and 13 years later I am still happy with my choice. There is a lack of torque below 3500rpm but above that the engine really comes alive. The gearing is bit low so running 70mph in 5th is above 3K rpm. Good for passing acceleration at hwy speeds. Gas mileage is about 33mpg on the hwy. I have not done much preventive maintenance other than oil changes. The car handles pretty well for a front drive. The 4 wheel disk brakes do a good job. The body style still looks good. I have replaced most of the common parts such as CV joints, water pump, exhaust parts and it eats plug wires - I think I'm on my 4th set. The AC still blows ice cold without ever being recharged.

Favorite Features

1. The anti-stat button by the door lock. Great feature! 2. 2nd & 3rd gear accelation at high rpm. 3. Fold down rear seats. 4. Still fun to drive and handles ok with original suspension parts. 5. LX features - body color mirrors and bumpers + power options.

Suggested Improvements

1. They did eventually get rid of the auto-seatbelts. They are the worst feature of the car.

Mom's Car
By tjmcmurray

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

For a 12 year old car we can't complain. We've had some problems with the front axel and the normal exhuast replacement. We recently had to replace the fuel pump but it stemmed fro bad gas.

Favorite Features

split rear seat

Suggested Improvements

light in trunk

Great First Car
By Julian

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I drive my protege real hard, keeping those RPM's up all the time and the thing just handles great. I bag on the car all the time and it doesn't get problems. Its a very reliable car, even more so if you don't beat it to hell like i do. This is a very good car for just getting around in or ur teenagers first car. I would recommend it to anyone. It could do with a lil more pwoer though, but its not hard to add a few mods like a custom intake and a turbocharger and my lil protege has bout 175 hp. Thats a terrific gain from the stock 105hp, with still great fuel mileage. i estimate my car to at least get 36 mpg.

Favorite Features

the plain simple layout of the car, great for working on, lots of space for sub-compact sedan, very tight steering and good handling. Runs very well, and very reliable. And its not a bad looking car either.

Suggested Improvements

Making the stick engines a tiny bit bigger, just for that extra needed lil kick to the throttle response.

A good little Mazda
By Minder

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my wife after our marriage 2 yrs ago. It had 75K on it, I just had to change 4 tires. Now it has about 83K and it hasn't given us much problems like my old Ford has. It still have great gas milage :) We are planning to keep it for other couples of yrs.

Favorite Features

Gas milage. Well, it is a 10 yrs old car and it can run like this. That is something.

Suggested Improvements

I think it is kind of stupid to ask Mazda to put a 300HP engine in my Protege, right?

My Mazda
By Boogie

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this car it was my "caddy" of cars. I loved it so much and haven't had ANY major problems with her. She has been very reliable and I would recommend the Mazda to anyone who is interested in purchasing a car.

Favorite Features

I like the body style. I think it is impersonable. I also like the dash board. Everything is easy to get to and there is no hastle.

Suggested Improvements

Don't really have any improvements. I've been so pleased with my Mazda.