Used 1992 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

'92 Mazda Protege
By Mazda4ever

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Gotta Love Mazda. Had 2 proteges one a 93 and a 92. Both were great and very sporty manuals. Fun to drive. The 93 was a LX with sunroof which i loved to death. Power everything. The 92 model is a DX. I wrecked it in November 09 but i'm working on getting that fixed VERY soon cuz its my baby. It did have a minor oil leak which i assumed was from old age and almost 300000 miles mostly interstate since i travel back and forth from college. The man my mom bought it from said he had a lot of motor/engine work done to it so its really not that many miles on it. Very good buy for a small car and first time driver. No major problems that couldn't be fixed in less than an hr.

Favorite Features

Sportiness. Speed. Very nimble and easy to park basically anywhere. Easy to clutch.

Suggested Improvements

taller/better gear raios. I run abt 35k rpms in 5th gear @ 70mphh. More cupholders would have been nice. Couple of more ponies would have been nice too!!!

almost at 350k and kickin'
By Robert

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two years ago at 196k miles. I've driven it like mad and have realized this car to be phenomenal. It's been through nearly everything you could think of, yet it hasn't given a hint of exhaustion. I recommend this Mazda to buy- but I'd hang on to it!

Favorite Features

zippy trans. comfy seats, great visibility, and good and stingy with the fuel!

Suggested Improvements

seatbelt- it beeps sometime for no reason!?

1992 protege great little car
By gerouch

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car 5 months ago for $800.00 and that was the best money ever spent. Car had 163,000 miles on it and I have put 10,000 more miles on it since then and probably saved over $1,000 in gas money so far, if not more. Had a gas guzzling Dodge Ram that got 14 mpg and this Protege gets 37 mpg. With gas price the way they are, this car will be around for ever if I can help it. Don't like auto seat belt but will cope with that.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, and drivability.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belts.

Still going strong
By JGB

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

One of the best buys I've ever made! Perfect car for my then young family starting out and we've had to get a bigger vehicle (3 kids) but she's still my daily car at 140k miles. No major issues but have replaced the cat, timing chain, and windshield. Modifications added are a CD player, 15 inch rims, Magna Flow muffler, and converted the A/C to R-134A. My soon to be teens keep asking when I'm going to get myself a new car so they can have the Mazda! LOL They'll be waiting a few years longer...

Favorite Features

Reliabilty.

Suggested Improvements

Better horsepower (should have been a 2 liter), lose the automatic seatbelts.

Great Car
By Craig

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great car 158,000 miles with original clutch. I have had to change both axles, rotors, and the car has a bad valve seal guide ... common for the year, so it tends to smoke on a cold start. It takes a beating and keeps coming back for more.

Favorite Features

Dashboard. Interior. Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Paint job is fading horribly.