1992 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
'92 Mazda Protege
By Mazda4ever on 01/14/10 18:57 PM (PST)

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Gotta Love Mazda. Had 2 proteges one a 93 and a 92. Both were great and very sporty manuals. Fun to drive. The 93 was a LX with sunroof which i loved to death. Power everything. The 92 model is a DX. I wrecked it in November 09 but i'm working on getting that fixed VERY soon cuz its my baby. It did have a minor oil leak which i assumed was from old age and almost 300000 miles mostly interstate since i travel back and forth from college. The man my mom bought it from said he had a lot of motor/engine work done to it so its really not that many miles on it. Very good buy for a small car and first time driver. No major problems that couldn't be fixed in less than an hr.

almost at 350k and kickin'
By Robert on 03/05/09 20:51 PM (PST)

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two years ago at 196k miles. I've driven it like mad and have realized this car to be phenomenal. It's been through nearly everything you could think of, yet it hasn't given a hint of exhaustion. I recommend this Mazda to buy- but I'd hang on to it!

1992 protege great little car
By gerouch on 07/05/08 05:19 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car 5 months ago for $800.00 and that was the best money ever spent. Car had 163,000 miles on it and I have put 10,000 more miles on it since then and probably saved over $1,000 in gas money so far, if not more. Had a gas guzzling Dodge Ram that got 14 mpg and this Protege gets 37 mpg. With gas price the way they are, this car will be around for ever if I can help it. Don't like auto seat belt but will cope with that.

Still going strong
By JGB on 05/01/07 14:26 PM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

One of the best buys I've ever made! Perfect car for my then young family starting out and we've had to get a bigger vehicle (3 kids) but she's still my daily car at 140k miles. No major issues but have replaced the cat, timing chain, and windshield. Modifications added are a CD player, 15 inch rims, Magna Flow muffler, and converted the A/C to R-134A. My soon to be teens keep asking when I'm going to get myself a new car so they can have the Mazda! LOL They'll be waiting a few years longer...

Great Car
By Craig on 01/25/06 11:54 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great car 158,000 miles with original clutch. I have had to change both axles, rotors, and the car has a bad valve seal guide ... common for the year, so it tends to smoke on a cold start. It takes a beating and keeps coming back for more.

Quality Car
By dsdickinson on 10/28/05 15:03 PM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car nearly 14 years and it has been flawless even with 281,000 miles. I still have the original clutch and the engine has never been worked on except for timing belts, tune ups and a new radiator. The car gets 32 mpg, the AC still works with never a recharge and there are no rust problems. I plan to buy a new Mazda 3 and will keep this one for winter driving, I want to get 300,000 out of it!

Original Owner of 92 LX
By New92 on 07/10/05 13:55 PM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was my 1st new car and 13 years later I am still happy with my choice. There is a lack of torque below 3500rpm but above that the engine really comes alive. The gearing is bit low so running 70mph in 5th is above 3K rpm. Good for passing acceleration at hwy speeds. Gas mileage is about 33mpg on the hwy. I have not done much preventive maintenance other than oil changes. The car handles pretty well for a front drive. The 4 wheel disk brakes do a good job. The body style still looks good. I have replaced most of the common parts such as CV joints, water pump, exhaust parts and it eats plug wires - I think I'm on my 4th set. The AC still blows ice cold without ever being recharged.

Super Reliable
By Super reliable on 07/09/05 14:37 PM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This was my starter car--my first big purchase--but has been so ultra- reliable, fun to drive and easy to park in the city that I've never sold it. I put gas in it, change the oil and that's about it--very low maintenance car. In 13 years I have replaced the muffler, radiator and brakes, but am still on the first clutch. It is the most amazing little car and I will hate to have to say goodbye when the time comes. Though my mechanic says it looks good for at least another 60K.

Mom's Car
By tjmcmurray on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

For a 12 year old car we can't complain. We've had some problems with the front axel and the normal exhuast replacement. We recently had to replace the fuel pump but it stemmed fro bad gas.

Nickle-and-Diming Me to Death
By ldpitman on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

The PLASTIC radiator blew up three summers ago (2001); I have had nothing but problems since then--I've since replaced the radiator, head gasket (twice, I think) timing belt (expected...once... I've had to replace it twice in less than two years. No one can figure out why it keeps shredding/coming off.), water pump, thermostat, A/C switch and housing, compressor, etc. I CAN'T WAIT 'til I can afford to get another NEW car. I plan to never buy Mazda again, nor an older used car, even though this one was only 6.5 years old when I bought it, with 57K miles. It's now at only 107K miles.