Used 1992 Mazda Protege DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

'92 Mazda Protege
By Mazda4ever

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Gotta Love Mazda. Had 2 proteges one a 93 and a 92. Both were great and very sporty manuals. Fun to drive. The 93 was a LX with sunroof which i loved to death. Power everything. The 92 model is a DX. I wrecked it in November 09 but i'm working on getting that fixed VERY soon cuz its my baby. It did have a minor oil leak which i assumed was from old age and almost 300000 miles mostly interstate since i travel back and forth from college. The man my mom bought it from said he had a lot of motor/engine work done to it so its really not that many miles on it. Very good buy for a small car and first time driver. No major problems that couldn't be fixed in less than an hr.

Sportiness. Speed. Very nimble and easy to park basically anywhere. Easy to clutch.

taller/better gear raios. I run abt 35k rpms in 5th gear @ 70mphh. More cupholders would have been nice. Couple of more ponies would have been nice too!!!

Super Reliable
By Super reliable

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This was my starter car--my first big purchase--but has been so ultra- reliable, fun to drive and easy to park in the city that I've never sold it. I put gas in it, change the oil and that's about it--very low maintenance car. In 13 years I have replaced the muffler, radiator and brakes, but am still on the first clutch. It is the most amazing little car and I will hate to have to say goodbye when the time comes. Though my mechanic says it looks good for at least another 60K.

It is the perfect zip around town car-- small, nimble and easy to park (because of its length). But there's still plenty of room for two bikes in the back with the back seat folded down. This is not a flashy car--it has AC and a cassette player and not much else, but that also means less to break.

Bring back the Protege!!!

Nickle-and-Diming Me to Death
By ldpitman

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

The PLASTIC radiator blew up three summers ago (2001); I have had nothing but problems since then--I've since replaced the radiator, head gasket (twice, I think) timing belt (expected...once... I've had to replace it twice in less than two years. No one can figure out why it keeps shredding/coming off.), water pump, thermostat, A/C switch and housing, compressor, etc. I CAN'T WAIT 'til I can afford to get another NEW car. I plan to never buy Mazda again, nor an older used car, even though this one was only 6.5 years old when I bought it, with 57K miles. It's now at only 107K miles.

Still going
By mp_nj

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

As the original owner, this car has been very reliable for the past 12+ years. It stalled once around 60k miles, and ended up replacing the tie rods. Besides that, there hasnít been any other major problem. Earlier this year the car passed 170k miles, and I see no reason to replace it.

Reliabile and fun to drive.

Road noise, original stereo system.

Great for starters, not for mothers...
By lucky_me

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been a great one for the 5 years I owned it. It is a great car for small comutes and it will make a fun to drive car for high school students. This car had never let me down.

Gas milege is my favorite feature. The car is easy to maneuver. If you are the "led foot" type, then you'll be the first to take off at a light.

Power seats: I am a short person, therefore the lack of power seats made it uncomfortable for me. I had to use a pillow on the driver's seat for as long as I had this car.