1992 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
'92 Mazda Protege
By Mazda4ever on 01/14/10 18:57 PM (PST)

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Gotta Love Mazda. Had 2 proteges one a 93 and a 92. Both were great and very sporty manuals. Fun to drive. The 93 was a LX with sunroof which i loved to death. Power everything. The 92 model is a DX. I wrecked it in November 09 but i'm working on getting that fixed VERY soon cuz its my baby. It did have a minor oil leak which i assumed was from old age and almost 300000 miles mostly interstate since i travel back and forth from college. The man my mom bought it from said he had a lot of motor/engine work done to it so its really not that many miles on it. Very good buy for a small car and first time driver. No major problems that couldn't be fixed in less than an hr.

Super Reliable
By Super reliable on 07/09/05 14:37 PM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This was my starter car--my first big purchase--but has been so ultra- reliable, fun to drive and easy to park in the city that I've never sold it. I put gas in it, change the oil and that's about it--very low maintenance car. In 13 years I have replaced the muffler, radiator and brakes, but am still on the first clutch. It is the most amazing little car and I will hate to have to say goodbye when the time comes. Though my mechanic says it looks good for at least another 60K.

Nickle-and-Diming Me to Death
By ldpitman on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

The PLASTIC radiator blew up three summers ago (2001); I have had nothing but problems since then--I've since replaced the radiator, head gasket (twice, I think) timing belt (expected...once... I've had to replace it twice in less than two years. No one can figure out why it keeps shredding/coming off.), water pump, thermostat, A/C switch and housing, compressor, etc. I CAN'T WAIT 'til I can afford to get another NEW car. I plan to never buy Mazda again, nor an older used car, even though this one was only 6.5 years old when I bought it, with 57K miles. It's now at only 107K miles.

Still going
By mp_nj on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

As the original owner, this car has been very reliable for the past 12+ years. It stalled once around 60k miles, and ended up replacing the tie rods. Besides that, there hasn’t been any other major problem. Earlier this year the car passed 170k miles, and I see no reason to replace it.

Great for starters, not for mothers...
By lucky_me on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been a great one for the 5 years I owned it. It is a great car for small comutes and it will make a fun to drive car for high school students. This car had never let me down.

I really love this little car.
By SWMBO on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I beat this car mercilessly with a daily commute to work of over 100 miles and frequent travel across the mid- Atlantic region. Other than normal wear and tear repairs (windshields, tires, struts, an axle) to be expected from traveling at high speeds on less- than-ideal roads, the only thing I had to replace was exhaust components. My mechanic says this is the one design flaw in this vehicle.

Very Basic Reliable transpotation
By rlin78 on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Gets you from point A to Point B. I have had to replace the clutch, the whole exhaust, CV joints, radiator. So the whole cost of ownership is not too low either. But it has never let me down, starts in 30 below weather without being driven for over 30 days at a time. the automatic seatbelt starts to beep on mine as well, and the paint in the trunk peeled as well, seems like a very common thing for this car over 11 years. Things seems to start to break apart, and the handling starts to worry me, so I am selling the car. Decent resale values too. the car also has a leaky gasket, so a little oil leak on the engine

a-1 value
By whalebone on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

best car i've owned in terms of reliability/value. haven't put a dime into it outside of a catalytic converter and your run of the mill maintenance (battery and brakes). 12 years and still going... a/c is getting a little weak---needs recharging. but heck, this is like an old friend, who is getting old. driven hard and starting to get the old creaks and rattles.

Flawless
By MetallicAzN on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Definitely one of the best cars ever made. I have 436,000 kms on it, and it still hasn't given me problems!

great car!
By Mazdaman on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car, with a $2500 rebate, it only cost me $9200. I drove it like mad for 7 years and 135k. It never used a drop of oil (synthetic from 30k on) and all I changed were spark plugs, tires and fluids. I got 38mpg on the highway. Fold-down rear seat fit all my snowbard gear. The problems were minor: Paint (Tropical Green) that chipped far too easily (dealer said it was stone chips...On the trunk!?). Those damned automatic belts! The seatbelt warning started going off at random times- I am always belted. Someone got a gem when I traded for a Dodge Ram 4x4.