1991 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
The "Thunder" rolls on!!!
By Aubrntigers on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Protege when I moved away to school and it has been a great car for me over the past 6 years. I haven't had to replace too much on it and I only paid $2800 for it in 1997. So after 60,000 miles, I'd say I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

Very Economy and super Powerful engine
By Tiko on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Great well built 1.8L DOHC Engine. Had thermostat replaced at 170000 miles by myself...it so easy, everybody can do it, and the part is easy to find & cheap..lest than $9. The Cruise controll works great and power everything. Had rear breake caliper replaced due to rusty component ( The previous owner didn't use this car for a long period with the hand brake pulled )...I replaced it ( both of them ) by myself. I've been using this car for 3 years...and still has powerful engine. Have confidence in Interstate.

1991 Mazda Protege LX
By ABN_85 on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car when it was five years old and had 99,000 miles on it. We got a great deal on it, besides that this car was "Top of the Line" it came fully loaded with power everything ( windows,locks,steering,brakes) even a 2 way Power Sunroof and factory alloy rims. It runs great, we only do routine maintenace, and is pretty fast due to the Dual Overhead cam Engine. So far we only changed the tires, the radiator, and thats about it. Right now it has 143,000 miles and runs great.

Great car!
By Leanne on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Our Mazda has been extremely reliable with basic maintenance (oil change, replace timing belt etc.) We had to replace the radiator at about 100K due to insufficient maintenance. Replaced the CV boot a couple of years ago. Starting to have a little trouble with the A/C blower -- but this is the first time in 11 years. Minor oil leak. 175,000 miles and still going strong.

No problems with this one!
By MaxA on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

After 126,000 in 11 years, my Protege keeps on ticking. It has been such a thrifty little car with no rust after living in snow a salt county for 10 years. Here is what has gone wrong with the car in 11 years: Panasonic radio died and was replaced completey free under warrantee, brake were repaced twice, exhaust replaced twice, A/C compressor replaced. That is it along with regular tune ups and oil changes. The car runs perfectly, not a single squeek or thud has emerged over the miles. I am completely satisfied with this well built econo-box and will buy another Mazda when the time comes.

1991 Mazda Protege GT!!!
By Ben80 on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Protege GT almost a year ago. It was the only GT model that I found in the Ottawa Region. It was the car I was looking for. It has A/C, sun roof, spoiler, 14" Alloy whell, power everything and 1.8DOHC 16valves, 4wheel disc. It has no rust and it is in mint condition. I love, it is so reliable, built in Japan, no problems at all, gets me around wherever, whenever. I dont know if the GT model was offered in the U.S. but there is'nt alot in Canada and I've never seen any advertisements or pictures on the web on the GT model. I'm one happy proteger owner!

It'll do!!!
By Uncomfortable on 04/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is great on dry roads but I found that it tends to hydro-plane on wet roads. It's good for driving around town but not so good for going out of town.

THE CAR THAT LASTS
By gibbons on 03/15/02 20:22 PM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bough this 1991 Mazda Protege Dx and now in 2002 it runs as if it still were 1991. It is a fun car to drive, gives good miles to the gallon, has great torque and force when going up a hill. It is smooth to drive and does not give that much trouble.