Used 1991 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

The best $400 spent
By Chad

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This Protege got me out of a bind and lasted me 3 years and 40,000 miles. The car ran (and still runs) great. If not for recent suspension and clutch problems, I would drive it until it died. As it is, 3 years, 400 bucks, 40,000 miles, 200 bucks in repairs (passenger side front axle) and it is still going. Beware of some electrical problems that can spring up. My horn button went out, and needed replaced (8 bucks and an hour of work) and my interior lights are on the fritz. It's a 15 year old car, and will be a GOOD 15 year old car.

Favorite Features

Stick, Cruise, Power Windows/Locks.

Suggested Improvements

Watch the electrical stuff.

GREAT little Car!
By luvmycar360

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 9 years old with 74,000 miles on it, and what a Great Buy! I had alot of fun in this car. Of course I had to do some routine maintanence, had the tranny rebuilt, and brakes replaced. It died at 12 years old, and a piece of me died as well. I loved this car!

Favorite Features

I loved the sun roof and how the car was very manuverable, and zippy.

Suggested Improvements

bigger trunk? I really do not have any complaints about this car.

Very Reliable
By FHanson

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Bought in 1993 with 25,000 miles on it. Ten years later with 202,000 miles and it still runs great. Mostly just regular maintenance, brakes, oil etc. Cheap to fix and easy for do it yourselfer. Fun to drive and it always runs. Air still cold and never serviced. Little if any rust and never garaged.

Favorite Features

Reliability and gas mileage. More fun to drive than most econoboxes.

Suggested Improvements

Had to replace radiator a few times but bought one with lifetime warranty so no big deal.

Love this poor thing
By ATM

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This was the first car for my younger brother, sister, and now me (im the oldest), and the poor thing has been through a LOT - 500+mi road trips, spin outs (both intended and not). Great reliability (no major break downs), but at 156k miles, starting to show its age, of course. Needs new shocks and front disks, horn went out, replaced exhaust system. Overall a great car!!!

Favorite Features

It has surprisingly great performance, stick shift is a blast to drive. Great acceleration and handling - just point and shoot.

Suggested Improvements

Sturdier chassis and softer ride would be nice. Awful blind spots in any rain - all windows fog up.

A really Great Little Car
By TMoon

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

In the 80's, Mazda offered the GLC: Great Little Car. But my '91 Protege has that one beat! I've driven it for 12 years/168,000 miles. Yes, it's needed some major repairs (manual xmission, brakes, head gasket), but nothing else has gone wrong with it. And, it's more fun to drive than many so-called "sports" cars. Great handling; wonderful sounding engine. Fairly comfy seats. Good ergonomics. Can't beat it!

Favorite Features

The DOHC engine, above all: sweet- sounding; responsive above 2,500 rpm; reliable as the day is long. The manual transmission and shift linkage: solid, positive, easy.

Suggested Improvements

A little more low-end grunt, if you please. Engine comes on strongly above 2,500 rpm, but has little pull below that.