1991 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
We love our gas sipping go cart!
By brotherben on 06/20/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Friends at church gave us this car. I replaced 1 tire that had separated. It has a smashed front fender from a previous wreck. It handles like a go- cart and has plenty of pep. I am 6'3" and near 300 lbs and this car is comfortable enough for long trips. It has the 1.8 litre engine and 5 speed manual transmission. With 210,000 miles,the oil still looks like new when changed after 3000 miles. At about 190,000 miles the radiator was replaced due to a crack. Soon after that the water pump went out. I did the work myself. It is a well used beater but still drives like a new car. If I had to buy a small economy car for a college student, this would be it.

A True Quality Car
By Bob on 11/10/08 21:30 PM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I now have 254000 miles on my 1991 Protege DX. The car is simply the best vehicle I have ever owned in my lifetime. The only major replacement was an exhaust system at 175,000 miles. Other that that its been the simple wear and tears such as brakes, etc. I was a freak with the protege a bit. I would always change the oil at every 1500 miles. My goal is to reach 300,000 with the baby. Her body is still solid and I get compliments from the Mazda dealers on her all the time. The only problem I have is the same as others I read...when it rains bad the windows also fog inside too. That has only started to happen within the las 8 months.

Very Reliable
By FHanson on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought in 1993 with 25,000 miles on it. Ten years later with 202,000 miles and it still runs great. Mostly just regular maintenance, brakes, oil etc. Cheap to fix and easy for do it yourselfer. Fun to drive and it always runs. Air still cold and never serviced. Little if any rust and never garaged.

Love this poor thing
By ATM on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This was the first car for my younger brother, sister, and now me (im the oldest), and the poor thing has been through a LOT - 500+mi road trips, spin outs (both intended and not). Great reliability (no major break downs), but at 156k miles, starting to show its age, of course. Needs new shocks and front disks, horn went out, replaced exhaust system. Overall a great car!!!

Great car!
By Leanne on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Our Mazda has been extremely reliable with basic maintenance (oil change, replace timing belt etc.) We had to replace the radiator at about 100K due to insufficient maintenance. Replaced the CV boot a couple of years ago. Starting to have a little trouble with the A/C blower -- but this is the first time in 11 years. Minor oil leak. 175,000 miles and still going strong.

No problems with this one!
By MaxA on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

After 126,000 in 11 years, my Protege keeps on ticking. It has been such a thrifty little car with no rust after living in snow a salt county for 10 years. Here is what has gone wrong with the car in 11 years: Panasonic radio died and was replaced completey free under warrantee, brake were repaced twice, exhaust replaced twice, A/C compressor replaced. That is it along with regular tune ups and oil changes. The car runs perfectly, not a single squeek or thud has emerged over the miles. I am completely satisfied with this well built econo-box and will buy another Mazda when the time comes.

1991 Mazda Protege GT!!!
By Ben80 on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Protege GT almost a year ago. It was the only GT model that I found in the Ottawa Region. It was the car I was looking for. It has A/C, sun roof, spoiler, 14" Alloy whell, power everything and 1.8DOHC 16valves, 4wheel disc. It has no rust and it is in mint condition. I love, it is so reliable, built in Japan, no problems at all, gets me around wherever, whenever. I dont know if the GT model was offered in the U.S. but there is'nt alot in Canada and I've never seen any advertisements or pictures on the web on the GT model. I'm one happy proteger owner!

It'll do!!!
By Uncomfortable on 04/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is great on dry roads but I found that it tends to hydro-plane on wet roads. It's good for driving around town but not so good for going out of town.

THE CAR THAT LASTS
By gibbons on 03/15/02 20:22 PM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bough this 1991 Mazda Protege Dx and now in 2002 it runs as if it still were 1991. It is a fun car to drive, gives good miles to the gallon, has great torque and force when going up a hill. It is smooth to drive and does not give that much trouble.