1991 Mazda Protege DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1991 Protege Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Sort Reviews by

We love our gas sipping go cart!
By brotherben

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Friends at church gave us this car. I replaced 1 tire that had separated. It has a smashed front fender from a previous wreck. It handles like a go- cart and has plenty of pep. I am 6'3" and near 300 lbs and this car is comfortable enough for long trips. It has the 1.8 litre engine and 5 speed manual transmission. With 210,000 miles,the oil still looks like new when changed after 3000 miles. At about 190,000 miles the radiator was replaced due to a crack. Soon after that the water pump went out. I did the work myself. It is a well used beater but still drives like a new car. If I had to buy a small economy car for a college student, this would be it.

Favorite Features

We have consistently gotten a 36 mpg average with mostly city driving. On long trips with lots of open road that goes to 40 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Considering that this is a very high mileage little economy car, with no major work ever done on the engine, I can't think of anything more I could ask from it. It really is a great car.

A True Quality Car
By Bob

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I now have 254000 miles on my 1991 Protege DX. The car is simply the best vehicle I have ever owned in my lifetime. The only major replacement was an exhaust system at 175,000 miles. Other that that its been the simple wear and tears such as brakes, etc. I was a freak with the protege a bit. I would always change the oil at every 1500 miles. My goal is to reach 300,000 with the baby. Her body is still solid and I get compliments from the Mazda dealers on her all the time. The only problem I have is the same as others I read...when it rains bad the windows also fog inside too. That has only started to happen within the las 8 months.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive... the car just zips around. The gas mileage is still fantastic too

Suggested Improvements

None - American automakers and today's auto industry needs to make a car like the 1991 Mazda Protege DX again.

Very Reliable
By FHanson

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought in 1993 with 25,000 miles on it. Ten years later with 202,000 miles and it still runs great. Mostly just regular maintenance, brakes, oil etc. Cheap to fix and easy for do it yourselfer. Fun to drive and it always runs. Air still cold and never serviced. Little if any rust and never garaged.

Favorite Features

Reliability and gas mileage. More fun to drive than most econoboxes.

Suggested Improvements

Had to replace radiator a few times but bought one with lifetime warranty so no big deal.

Love this poor thing
By ATM

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This was the first car for my younger brother, sister, and now me (im the oldest), and the poor thing has been through a LOT - 500+mi road trips, spin outs (both intended and not). Great reliability (no major break downs), but at 156k miles, starting to show its age, of course. Needs new shocks and front disks, horn went out, replaced exhaust system. Overall a great car!!!

Favorite Features

It has surprisingly great performance, stick shift is a blast to drive. Great acceleration and handling - just point and shoot.

Suggested Improvements

Sturdier chassis and softer ride would be nice. Awful blind spots in any rain - all windows fog up.

Great car!
By Leanne

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Our Mazda has been extremely reliable with basic maintenance (oil change, replace timing belt etc.) We had to replace the radiator at about 100K due to insufficient maintenance. Replaced the CV boot a couple of years ago. Starting to have a little trouble with the A/C blower -- but this is the first time in 11 years. Minor oil leak. 175,000 miles and still going strong.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage.

No problems with this one!
By MaxA

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

After 126,000 in 11 years, my Protege keeps on ticking. It has been such a thrifty little car with no rust after living in snow a salt county for 10 years. Here is what has gone wrong with the car in 11 years: Panasonic radio died and was replaced completey free under warrantee, brake were repaced twice, exhaust replaced twice, A/C compressor replaced. That is it along with regular tune ups and oil changes. The car runs perfectly, not a single squeek or thud has emerged over the miles. I am completely satisfied with this well built econo-box and will buy another Mazda when the time comes.

Suggested Improvements

Lights on chime.

1991 Mazda Protege GT!!!
By Ben80

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Protege GT almost a year ago. It was the only GT model that I found in the Ottawa Region. It was the car I was looking for. It has A/C, sun roof, spoiler, 14" Alloy whell, power everything and 1.8DOHC 16valves, 4wheel disc. It has no rust and it is in mint condition. I love, it is so reliable, built in Japan, no problems at all, gets me around wherever, whenever. I dont know if the GT model was offered in the U.S. but there is'nt alot in Canada and I've never seen any advertisements or pictures on the web on the GT model. I'm one happy proteger owner!

Favorite Features

I love the power sunroof! and I love getting the attention from other proteger owners that never seen or heard about the GT model.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that bugs me is the high reving when I drive on the highway. I know the car is designed to rev high so that it can reach maximum horse power easily when it is in demand but sometimes. if wish it had a 6sixth gear for highway cruising.

It'll do!!!
By Uncomfortable

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is great on dry roads but I found that it tends to hydro-plane on wet roads. It's good for driving around town but not so good for going out of town.

Suggested Improvements

The sterio is placed too low. Seats are not comfortable for long distance trips.

THE CAR THAT LASTS
By gibbons

1991 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bough this 1991 Mazda Protege Dx and now in 2002 it runs as if it still were 1991. It is a fun car to drive, gives good miles to the gallon, has great torque and force when going up a hill. It is smooth to drive and does not give that much trouble.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the stereo system, has great sound.