1991 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
cheap and fun
By keyframe on 02/03/10 14:00 PM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Fantastic car for a purist. Well-balanced. Has the most wonderful steering feel ever. Reliable. Doesn't rust as much as my other car--the 1996 Honda Accord. 8.5 secords to 60 mph, .8g skidpad with stock tires, 16.9 seconds to quarter mile... but oh, how heavenly does it corner. I even prefer its engine sound to the newer Proteges. 30 MPG highway.

Valve Guides
By Regretful on 08/30/08 14:47 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I really loved this car -- it was my first new car. I loved its performance, it was great on mileage, lots of room, well designed ergonomically. My experience with this car is that these cars are built to perform, but not to last. My story: the car started to burn oil at 45,000 miles and the issue was a valve problem following a $1200 valve job (thankfully the extended warranty covered it sans a $200 deductible) then 2000 miles more and another valve job (same $), it still burned oil. Fed up, I decided to dump the car for an Acura Integra which I'm still driving at 150,000 miles.

Dependable
By AlaskaMazdaOwner on 06/10/07 03:46 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This car lasted a long time with no or very little maintenance. I would sell this car to young or old alike.

The best $400 spent
By Chad on 10/23/05 09:45 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This Protege got me out of a bind and lasted me 3 years and 40,000 miles. The car ran (and still runs) great. If not for recent suspension and clutch problems, I would drive it until it died. As it is, 3 years, 400 bucks, 40,000 miles, 200 bucks in repairs (passenger side front axle) and it is still going. Beware of some electrical problems that can spring up. My horn button went out, and needed replaced (8 bucks and an hour of work) and my interior lights are on the fritz. It's a 15 year old car, and will be a GOOD 15 year old car.

GREAT little Car!
By luvmycar360 on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 9 years old with 74,000 miles on it, and what a Great Buy! I had alot of fun in this car. Of course I had to do some routine maintanence, had the tranny rebuilt, and brakes replaced. It died at 12 years old, and a piece of me died as well. I loved this car!

A really Great Little Car
By TMoon on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

In the 80's, Mazda offered the GLC: Great Little Car. But my '91 Protege has that one beat! I've driven it for 12 years/168,000 miles. Yes, it's needed some major repairs (manual xmission, brakes, head gasket), but nothing else has gone wrong with it. And, it's more fun to drive than many so-called "sports" cars. Great handling; wonderful sounding engine. Fairly comfy seats. Good ergonomics. Can't beat it!

The "Thunder" rolls on!!!
By Aubrntigers on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Protege when I moved away to school and it has been a great car for me over the past 6 years. I haven't had to replace too much on it and I only paid $2800 for it in 1997. So after 60,000 miles, I'd say I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

Very Economy and super Powerful engine
By Tiko on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Great well built 1.8L DOHC Engine. Had thermostat replaced at 170000 miles by myself...it so easy, everybody can do it, and the part is easy to find & cheap..lest than $9. The Cruise controll works great and power everything. Had rear breake caliper replaced due to rusty component ( The previous owner didn't use this car for a long period with the hand brake pulled )...I replaced it ( both of them ) by myself. I've been using this car for 3 years...and still has powerful engine. Have confidence in Interstate.

1991 Mazda Protege LX
By ABN_85 on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car when it was five years old and had 99,000 miles on it. We got a great deal on it, besides that this car was "Top of the Line" it came fully loaded with power everything ( windows,locks,steering,brakes) even a 2 way Power Sunroof and factory alloy rims. It runs great, we only do routine maintenace, and is pretty fast due to the Dual Overhead cam Engine. So far we only changed the tires, the radiator, and thats about it. Right now it has 143,000 miles and runs great.