1991 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
cheap and fun
By keyframe on 02/03/10 14:00 PM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Fantastic car for a purist. Well-balanced. Has the most wonderful steering feel ever. Reliable. Doesn't rust as much as my other car--the 1996 Honda Accord. 8.5 secords to 60 mph, .8g skidpad with stock tires, 16.9 seconds to quarter mile... but oh, how heavenly does it corner. I even prefer its engine sound to the newer Proteges. 30 MPG highway.

We love our gas sipping go cart!
By brotherben on 06/20/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Friends at church gave us this car. I replaced 1 tire that had separated. It has a smashed front fender from a previous wreck. It handles like a go- cart and has plenty of pep. I am 6'3" and near 300 lbs and this car is comfortable enough for long trips. It has the 1.8 litre engine and 5 speed manual transmission. With 210,000 miles,the oil still looks like new when changed after 3000 miles. At about 190,000 miles the radiator was replaced due to a crack. Soon after that the water pump went out. I did the work myself. It is a well used beater but still drives like a new car. If I had to buy a small economy car for a college student, this would be it.

A True Quality Car
By Bob on 11/10/08 21:30 PM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I now have 254000 miles on my 1991 Protege DX. The car is simply the best vehicle I have ever owned in my lifetime. The only major replacement was an exhaust system at 175,000 miles. Other that that its been the simple wear and tears such as brakes, etc. I was a freak with the protege a bit. I would always change the oil at every 1500 miles. My goal is to reach 300,000 with the baby. Her body is still solid and I get compliments from the Mazda dealers on her all the time. The only problem I have is the same as others I read...when it rains bad the windows also fog inside too. That has only started to happen within the las 8 months.

Valve Guides
By Regretful on 08/30/08 14:47 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I really loved this car -- it was my first new car. I loved its performance, it was great on mileage, lots of room, well designed ergonomically. My experience with this car is that these cars are built to perform, but not to last. My story: the car started to burn oil at 45,000 miles and the issue was a valve problem following a $1200 valve job (thankfully the extended warranty covered it sans a $200 deductible) then 2000 miles more and another valve job (same $), it still burned oil. Fed up, I decided to dump the car for an Acura Integra which I'm still driving at 150,000 miles.

Dependable
By AlaskaMazdaOwner on 06/10/07 03:46 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This car lasted a long time with no or very little maintenance. I would sell this car to young or old alike.

The best $400 spent
By Chad on 10/23/05 09:45 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This Protege got me out of a bind and lasted me 3 years and 40,000 miles. The car ran (and still runs) great. If not for recent suspension and clutch problems, I would drive it until it died. As it is, 3 years, 400 bucks, 40,000 miles, 200 bucks in repairs (passenger side front axle) and it is still going. Beware of some electrical problems that can spring up. My horn button went out, and needed replaced (8 bucks and an hour of work) and my interior lights are on the fritz. It's a 15 year old car, and will be a GOOD 15 year old car.

GREAT little Car!
By luvmycar360 on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 9 years old with 74,000 miles on it, and what a Great Buy! I had alot of fun in this car. Of course I had to do some routine maintanence, had the tranny rebuilt, and brakes replaced. It died at 12 years old, and a piece of me died as well. I loved this car!

Very Reliable
By FHanson on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Bought in 1993 with 25,000 miles on it. Ten years later with 202,000 miles and it still runs great. Mostly just regular maintenance, brakes, oil etc. Cheap to fix and easy for do it yourselfer. Fun to drive and it always runs. Air still cold and never serviced. Little if any rust and never garaged.

Love this poor thing
By ATM on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This was the first car for my younger brother, sister, and now me (im the oldest), and the poor thing has been through a LOT - 500+mi road trips, spin outs (both intended and not). Great reliability (no major break downs), but at 156k miles, starting to show its age, of course. Needs new shocks and front disks, horn went out, replaced exhaust system. Overall a great car!!!

A really Great Little Car
By TMoon on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

In the 80's, Mazda offered the GLC: Great Little Car. But my '91 Protege has that one beat! I've driven it for 12 years/168,000 miles. Yes, it's needed some major repairs (manual xmission, brakes, head gasket), but nothing else has gone wrong with it. And, it's more fun to drive than many so-called "sports" cars. Great handling; wonderful sounding engine. Fairly comfy seats. Good ergonomics. Can't beat it!