Used 1991 Mazda Navajo Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )

220,000 miles in 19 years, still strong
By Terry Gorle

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I've used my Navajo for hauling a half ton of tile setting tools and materials, and towing travel trailers for almost 20 years. Aside from a pulsation in the front passenger side brakes that develops like clockwork every 30,000 miles (inevitably requiring machining or replacing the rotors), this has been a fantastic vehicle for me. I change the oil every 3000 miles, and I've done little more than follow the recommended maintenance schedule. I added a quart of Slick 50 Teflon coating 19 years ago at the first oil change(just to see if there was anything behind the hype), and I'm sold. The engine has remained strong and I'm heading for 221,000 miles.

same as a Ford Explorer
By jclj2003

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

Very good built truck; fast acceleration, stops fast with very little lockup. Great 4x4 in snow but did convert to manual locking hubs since autos are junk. Great highway gas mileage -- went from Worcester MA to Portland Maine and back with a half tank of gas. Great truck, starts up every time even when we had a cold spell of -20 F. Even the heat blows nice and hot.

Power locks, 4x4, good power, engine is bullet proof.

ABS, stronger tranny, rocker panel rot.

12 Years of owning a Navajo.
By Sean_Riggan

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Navajo when it was one year old w/20,000 miles in 1992. In the intervening 90,000 miles, I have found the Navajo to be unusually reliable. It has never required any major repairs. Car has tow package w/3.73 rear end gears and has always towed very well, even large loads (albeit usually not much faster than 65 MPH). 112k miles, and the engine has literally never burned a drop of oil!

Doesn't look exactly like the 2 door Explorer. Different front grill & headlights help. The tweed seats are much nicer than in the Explorer, and hold up well over time.

Gas mileage is so-so. Various handles and levers tend to break over time. So far I have replaced the int. drivers door handle, drivers seat recline lever & center console arm.

Gas Guzzler
By pete_s_2

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I wish it would get me more than ten miles per gallon, other that that it runs super clean, I'm amazed at how clean the old oil looks when I change its oil every three months

4WD, leather seats, sun roof.

get a four wheel drive shifter that is not electronic, mine is stuck on 4WD all the time.

C'mon, it's a Ford Explorer
By TheMadTurtle

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

Ok, I just have to point out that these are exactly the same cars as the Ford Explorer, yet somehow Edmunds has a Consumer rating of 8.3 for the Explorer and 6.6 for the Navajo. For anyone looking, these are EXACTLY the same car - they're a Ford Explorer with Mazda insignia on them. I just got into mine and, after a tuneup and some Slick50, it's running pretty darned good for a truck with 146,000 miles on it.

4-wheel drive, sunroof