1991 Mazda Navajo SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )
220,000 miles in 19 years, still strong
By Terry Gorle on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I've used my Navajo for hauling a half ton of tile setting tools and materials, and towing travel trailers for almost 20 years. Aside from a pulsation in the front passenger side brakes that develops like clockwork every 30,000 miles (inevitably requiring machining or replacing the rotors), this has been a fantastic vehicle for me. I change the oil every 3000 miles, and I've done little more than follow the recommended maintenance schedule. I added a quart of Slick 50 Teflon coating 19 years ago at the first oil change(just to see if there was anything behind the hype), and I'm sold. The engine has remained strong and I'm heading for 221,000 miles.

same as a Ford Explorer
By jclj2003 on 04/30/05 15:29 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

Very good built truck; fast acceleration, stops fast with very little lockup. Great 4x4 in snow but did convert to manual locking hubs since autos are junk. Great highway gas mileage -- went from Worcester MA to Portland Maine and back with a half tank of gas. Great truck, starts up every time even when we had a cold spell of -20 F. Even the heat blows nice and hot.

12 Years of owning a Navajo.
By Sean_Riggan on 11/27/04 16:15 PM (PST)

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Navajo when it was one year old w/20,000 miles in 1992. In the intervening 90,000 miles, I have found the Navajo to be unusually reliable. It has never required any major repairs. Car has tow package w/3.73 rear end gears and has always towed very well, even large loads (albeit usually not much faster than 65 MPH). 112k miles, and the engine has literally never burned a drop of oil!

Gas Guzzler
By pete_s_2 on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I wish it would get me more than ten miles per gallon, other that that it runs super clean, I'm amazed at how clean the old oil looks when I change its oil every three months

C'mon, it's a Ford Explorer
By TheMadTurtle on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

Ok, I just have to point out that these are exactly the same cars as the Ford Explorer, yet somehow Edmunds has a Consumer rating of 8.3 for the Explorer and 6.6 for the Navajo. For anyone looking, these are EXACTLY the same car - they're a Ford Explorer with Mazda insignia on them. I just got into mine and, after a tuneup and some Slick50, it's running pretty darned good for a truck with 146,000 miles on it.

Keeps on going
By JimE on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

It's a good truck. I've driven 230,000 miles and it keeps on going. Sure it has it's list of problems, 4WD stopped working, armrest broke, burns a little oil (1qt per 5k miles), but the engine still has most of it's original performance.

I love it! It's very reliable.
By Ernest on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I think it's a great truck first off. It gets my friends and I around all the time. It looks nice, it drives great, is awesome on gas, and it's fun to drive. It's my best truck yet.

c'mon it's an explorer anyway
By John Johonson on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle with 120000 miles and have put about another 25000 on it so far. It hasn't burned any oil yet. Also I haul a 22ft cabin cruiser boat that is 500lbs. above the towing capacity it pulls it up the ramp no problem.

Good used car
By kathe on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

Same as the Ford Explorer. Engine is bullet proof. 175,000 miles and still going strong and not burning any oil.

Navajo Yo
By Tucker Mudrick on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda Navajo SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

The name of my car offended my many Indian friends. They actually got so mad that they keyed my car. But, overall it could be worse, even though I can't manage to give it more than a 1 in any catagory. It is the worst car I've ever owned, however. Of course, it could be worse.