Used 1995 Mazda MX-6 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-6 model:

1995 MX6
By Rod

1995 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for 11 yrs. I parked it for 5 yrs and didn't drive it just sat behind the garage. After a few parts replaced and didn't change the oil right off, new battery. She fired up on first turn of key. Didn't blow any smoke. Replaced a few more things and been driving it 3 yrs now and have had no problems. What a great car!! At a 110mph was very smooth!

Favorite Features

Good acceleration for a 4cyl. Quicker than a lot of v6's I have raced

Suggested Improvements

Headlights for sure.

200K and still going
By MX-6 owner

1995 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

Here we go. I have a long story to tell about my MX-6. I bought this car from the Mazda dealership I worked at 7 years ago for $2000. At the time it had 82K on it. I put a clutch in it then because it was slipping a little. Prob why it was traded. That was 116K miles ago. I still drive this car as my daily drive. I average 35 mpg. Some highway and some rural/city driving. I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it. This is the best car I have ever had and I still enjoy driving it every day. The body has some rust but mechanically it is sound. I'm thinking about getting a new Mazda3 but prob won't get rid of my MX-6. I'm going to drive it until the repair bill is too much to handle.

Favorite Features

The best thing about this can has got to be the fuel economy. You hear new cars boasting about 30mpg. If I only got 30 mpg I would think something was seriously wrong with my car. Every day for the last 7 years when I have turned the key it has come to life.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement would have been better adhesive for the door carpet. I have to glue it back on every so often. Not a big issue. I hope everyone out there can one day have the same kind of experience with a car that I have with this one. It's the best. Thanks Mazda.

Disappointing
By EA

1995 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

Got this car in 2002. Since then the transmission has been rebuilt/replaced three times. Overheats often. In the last two years the car vibrates and shutters terribly when in idle, especially if the AC is on. I've easily spent more money on repairs than I spent on buying the car to begin with. Never thought I'd say it, but this car has me missing my '87 Nissan Stanza.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders. Only one in the entire car! A functioning transmission would be nice.

crying over loss
By wigglesj

1995 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

This 4 cylinder auto had more get up and go than any car I have owned with a small engine. I am now having to replace it because someone hit the car and I believe it will be totaled. The other thing about this car that I will miss, is considering all the get up and go it still would have excellent gas milage. The day I was hit I had filled up, I checked it and I had gotten 34mpg. I am really going to miss this car.

Favorite Features

The best thing is people didn't realize this was a four cylinder car that was a sports car.I always had people telling me before I sold it let them know.

Suggested Improvements

Have a more comfortable seat, I'm 6'5" and weigh 240lbs so It's hard to find comfort in a small car.

Reliable, fun, comfortable
By n757jh

1995 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

This is my 4th Mazda and it still just feels right! Bought used from Hertz at 25K miles, runs beautifully, now 100K miles and still trouble free. Engine is 4 cyl, economical, running Mobil 1 now, starts right up even in winter, runs smooth. Ride is sensitive without being harsh. Can carry just about anything including aircraft parts with folding rear seats and hatchback. Just love this car, after 3 RX-7's it's not as sporty but neither am I at 50!

Favorite Features

Seats comfortable even driving 25 hrs straight Upstate NY to Florida. Electric windows very convenient. Sound system nice.

Suggested Improvements

Heater doesn't keep feet warm enough.