Used 1995 Mazda MX-6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-6 model:

A lot of Repairs
By Rhonda

1995 Mazda MX-6 LS 2dr Coupe

Bought this car at 2 years old with 50k and at first I loved it. But after owning it for 2 years, it started running hot! Replaced everything on it: hoses, water pump, thermometer, and finally the radiator. Then the transmission went out and replaced it only to have that transmission die 2 years later so replaced it again. Now at 235k it is running hot again and have once again replaced the hoses and radiator and looks like I'll have to replace the water pump again. Wouldn't recommend this car. I did regular maintenance and would get another car but can't right now in this economy. Regret buying the car. It looks great on the outside but don't judge a book by it's cover!!

Favorite Features

The sporty look and at first really fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

There was obviously a problem with the whole cooling system and transmission on this model car. Why can't American cars be as well made as foreign cars?? I have always bought American cars and want to be patriotic and buy American but never again!

1995 MX6
By Rod

1995 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for 11 yrs. I parked it for 5 yrs and didn't drive it just sat behind the garage. After a few parts replaced and didn't change the oil right off, new battery. She fired up on first turn of key. Didn't blow any smoke. Replaced a few more things and been driving it 3 yrs now and have had no problems. What a great car!! At a 110mph was very smooth!

Favorite Features

Good acceleration for a 4cyl. Quicker than a lot of v6's I have raced

Suggested Improvements

Headlights for sure.

200K and still going
By MX-6 owner

1995 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

Here we go. I have a long story to tell about my MX-6. I bought this car from the Mazda dealership I worked at 7 years ago for $2000. At the time it had 82K on it. I put a clutch in it then because it was slipping a little. Prob why it was traded. That was 116K miles ago. I still drive this car as my daily drive. I average 35 mpg. Some highway and some rural/city driving. I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it. This is the best car I have ever had and I still enjoy driving it every day. The body has some rust but mechanically it is sound. I'm thinking about getting a new Mazda3 but prob won't get rid of my MX-6. I'm going to drive it until the repair bill is too much to handle.

Favorite Features

The best thing about this can has got to be the fuel economy. You hear new cars boasting about 30mpg. If I only got 30 mpg I would think something was seriously wrong with my car. Every day for the last 7 years when I have turned the key it has come to life.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement would have been better adhesive for the door carpet. I have to glue it back on every so often. Not a big issue. I hope everyone out there can one day have the same kind of experience with a car that I have with this one. It's the best. Thanks Mazda.

Disappointing
By EA

1995 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

Got this car in 2002. Since then the transmission has been rebuilt/replaced three times. Overheats often. In the last two years the car vibrates and shutters terribly when in idle, especially if the AC is on. I've easily spent more money on repairs than I spent on buying the car to begin with. Never thought I'd say it, but this car has me missing my '87 Nissan Stanza.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders. Only one in the entire car! A functioning transmission would be nice.

MX-6 Sweet deal
By Rariem3

1995 Mazda MX-6 LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my MX-6 with 88,000 miles on the odo. It had minor body damage which is being fixed. I have so far replaced the spark plugs and brake pads. The car has great looks and picks up speed great with the V6 I regulary hit ninety on the highway with no drama. Oh yeah this car comes with a great stock sound system. Overall a great car only a few minor issues that I have fixed would recommend to the enthusiast driver who likes to cruise.

Favorite Features

Sound System, V6 engine, Sunroof, Leather seats, Dashing good looks.

Suggested Improvements

More Power from V6 at low rpm, better build quality, Lower maintenance.