Used 1994 Mazda MX-6 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-6 model:

Looks fast but its not
By Kilboy57

1994 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

My MX-6 was a base model 4cyl auto. The tranny went twice once at 86k and again at 108k miles. This car is far from reliable. If you are considering a car in this sport compact catagory check out an integra or cavalier over this car. It was nothing but headaches.

better tranny

Love/Hate Relationship
By Mando

1994 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

While I love the looks and performance of my car, I have to admit I've spent a lot of money on major repairs. I bought it after 51k miles. Being the second owner, I've had to replace the motor mounts and the whole front axle because the original mounts went bad and lifted my engine up damaging my CV axle! Second, my transmission died twice. The first time, I replaced it with a used one and then after 50k miles I had to pay for an overhaul ($1800). Could it be just plain bad luck? But like a star-crossed fool, I stick with my car because I like the look and the way it handles.

Nice, smooth ride. Very sporty- looking, sleek vehicle.

Car out-of-production, but I would re- design the tranny as it seems to have a high failure rate. Also add better, longer-lasting motor mounts and add some room to the backseat!

How's My Mazda?
By acbraswe

1994 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

Car runs very well, but is a little small in the back seat. The sun roof is great and the car is really fun to drive. Needs some minor repairs, body is good. Heater does not work.

sunroof, leather seats, sporty look, tinted windows, five-speed gives it excellent pick-up and passing power.

Needs to be detailed, and needs a CD player.

My Mazda
By healthnut76

1994 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

It is an extremely reliable car (have made several cross-country trips in it), and it performs as if it has a few more cylinders than it actually does... if you're thinkin' about gettin' an MX- 6, I would strongly encourage ya.. you won't regret it! :~)

Hell uva car
By Ian Pierce

1994 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new in Aug of '94. I've always been impressed by the performance of this car considering it only has 118 HP. With 120,000 miles on it, it shows no sign of letting up. Besides a few interior noises and an external AC compressor noise, the car has held up well. The only repairs I've had to have were both CV joints ($240 total), a clutch ($250) at 110,000 miles, trunk lifts ($50), a tune up ($120), and I had the timing belt changed at 80,000 miles ($300). Only this after 8 years of City stop and go driving.

I love the performance of this car - 118 horse power, but it drives like it has 160. It takes turns great and has a sports car feel. Also, being 6'1" it has plenty of leg room up front. The cloth interior is also top notch.

More horse power would have been nice, but then I bought a 4 cyl. and I knew what I was getting. A better stock sound system would have been nice as well. Hey, Howabout a back seat that someone could actually sit in without having their knees in their throat?

• SUV