Used 1993 Mazda MX-6 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mazda Mx-6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-6 model:

'93 MX-6 is better than most NEW cars.
By CCSO Explorer

1993 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car from a family member for $1, and it runs like I paid $20,000 for it. Running it at 65 mph average speed, I get 36 mpg. Running at 80 mph, I still get as much as 34 mpg. As far as mechanical problems go, I have yet to have any, and the engine is still as powerful as the first day on the road. The car also gets attention because there are not many left on the streets anymore. At the current selling value of $2,000, if you see one, grab it. The money you will save in fuel costs is outstanding.

Favorite Features

Sporty appearance, gas mileage, strongly built engine and body.

Suggested Improvements

None

Mazda really exceeded expectations
By Sarge

1993 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

I purchased the MX6 coupe from my aunt back in December of 2007; she was the original owner. Everything on this car was designed well, except for the 138-hp Inline-4 engine. A sports car should be a little more powerful, but it still runs like a dream. I'm getting about 32mpg on mid-grade fuel. The design of the car looks nice, but all models should have included the spoiler. After 138,000 miles most of the car is still in great shape. The real axle was replaced two years ago as it completely snapped in the snow. Other than that, the car runs great and is still getting attention. It's a car that isn't seen frequently anymore.

Favorite Features

Sporty design, gas mileage, powerful speakers, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine, spoiler on all models, leather interior.

Ehhh, they're okay
By Mike

1993 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

This car has not been a bad car to me. I did have to the replace the clutch once and axles twice, but the motor Is absolutely solid. Not a drip of anything, anywhere. The interior was not built well. My door panels are barely hanging on by a thread and the fabric on those panels are coming off the surface. The drivers seat does not like to be gotten in and out of a lot because it tends to tear on the left side. My center console started to fall off and my cupholder (the ONLY one in the car) won't come all the way out anymore. Backseat -- crammed, is the only way to put it. Don't try fitting someone over 5'5 in there or they were be hitting their head on the rear window everY 2 minutes.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, 5 speed, sleek dash, reliable engine.

Suggested Improvements

Use better parts when assembling the interior. It tends to fall apart. Rear trunk struts are worthless.

Economical, sporty, and fun to drive!
By HODGES

1993 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

I am the 2nd owner of my MX-6, from selling my mustang in 1997, the car was a dream. It has been a very reliable car with no out of pocket expenses except for minor things. I am actually selling my car, but only because I need a bigger car (not much leg room in the back for clients and family!) Other than that, I will be sad to give it up@!

Favorite Features

sunroof, sleek look, quick for a 4 cylinder, gas milage

Suggested Improvements

nothing that can't be helped like the antennae, hatch hyrolic lift,rubber molding around window,plastic head light covers discolor

Fun car with so-so reliability
By mbs_2004

1993 Mazda MX-6 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of a Hunter Green 1993 MX6 LS. It has been a very pleasurable car to drive for 11+ yrs. It offers a good blend of fun driving, nice interior and great styling. The exterior looks neither trendy nor generic but sporty nice in an ageless sense. Mechanical reliability and cost of repair have been poor. Problems included power antenna that sticked in cold [at 2 year], trunk hinge that wouldn't hold the lid up [at 8 yr], A/C [at 7 year], oil leak [at 10 yr] and many others. Bad city fuel efficiency. Suite polluting (originally purchased in NJ, it barely passes the smog check in CA).

Favorite Features

handling, driver's seat, sun roof

Suggested Improvements

improved reliability