Used 1993 Mazda MX-6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mazda MX-6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-6 model:

Great handling, nice shape, fun with some flaws.
By ajerimez

1993 Mazda MX-6 LS 2dr Coupe

The second gen MX-6, with its unique looks and sporty handling, enjoys a small but loyal following nearly two decades after it was discontinued in 1997. I bought mine with 93,000 miles, put another 20,000 on the clock (which included a NY-CA round trip), and sold it for what I paid without incurring any major expenses. I liked it a lot and actually felt a twinge of seller's remorse when I let it go. Since it shares the same underpinnings as the Ford Probe, replacement parts are inexpensive and not hard to find. It's basically a reliable and fun ride with a few quirks. Offers great bang for your buck, but they're getting harder to find in good condition as time goes on.

Styling - This is the main reason I bought an MX-6. Its smooth, flowing shape is expressive without being overstated. It's a sexy car and I enjoyed just looking at it. Handling - Even completely stock, this car feels planted and really hugs the road. Ergonomics - The seats, driving position, and interior layout were comfortable. I could take long trips without feeling fatigued. Rear seats fold down to accommodate large items. Fuel Economy - My 5-speed LS averaged 28mpg highway. Not bad for a 20 year old V6. Stereo - This car has a surprisingly decent six-speaker audio system, though my CD player was DOA.

Engine - The 2.5 liter V6 is reliable, but mine ate a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and its hydraulic lifters chattered. Could use a few more horses too. Transmission - The 5-speed manual (which is really the only good option for the MX-6) is notchy and stubborn when cold. And even after it's warmed-up, good luck engaging first gear unless the car is at a standstill. Replacing the transmission fluid with Redline is supposed to help, but suffice to say it's not a BMW gearbox. The automatic is reputed to be unreliable and should be avoided. Fit & Finish - My MX-6 suffered from annoying squeaks and rattles from the door panels, rear deck lid, and center console. Window switches fail too.

Best of all worlds
By someone

1993 Mazda MX-6 LS 2dr Coupe

I've owned 3 of these cars over the course of a decade, with the most recent one being a 93 LS with 130k on the clock. replaced CV's and boots on front axle immediately as they were bad, then drove it for 4 yrs without doing a SINGLE thing to it, no maintenance, no repairs. (except a cracked radiator tank, my fault. That took me all of 10 minutes to replace) the car ran like a screaming banshee, always and never left me stranded. sold it for $900 (paid $1,000) and the person who bought it drives it almost 400 miles a week for work. still runs strong and has given him no problems.

I pretty much like everything about the car. I think the best thing was beating a civic that someone had invested well into the $10k range with my $1k "sleeper"

no real need as they no longer make the car, but if they bring it back (fingers crossed) better leather, just about everyone I know with one of these cars has cracked leather.

LOVES to accelerate! great car.
By rhiannon

1993 Mazda MX-6 LS 2dr Coupe

Bought this beauty two yrs ago and only parted with her because I needed four doors. The only mechanical issue I really had with this car was an overheating problem, due to the extreme abuse she put up with and all the seals needed replaced. This car LOVES to go faster, never happier than when she's accelerating, even at 80mph!(I've had both the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl and they're both the same) The shifting couldn't be smoother. The exterior looks great too, despite being her age... And around the curves you couldn't find a grippier ride. Thank you, Mazda I will be looking for another mx6 in the future :)

The speed and thrill (yes, actual thrill) of driving this car, the body style, and how sturdy it was putting up with my dogging her everyday :)

Only has one cup holder and the backseat is tiny. (you can still shove 3 ppl back there if you're determined)

I Love MY MAZDA MX-6
By Abe

1993 Mazda MX-6 LS 2dr Coupe

I love this car. It looks great and is fast enough for me I've been getting about 18 MPG City and as high as 33 MPG on the highway. I keep the car as God intended it. Just added a Hood Bra, SUNROOF WIND DEFLECTOR NEW and Headlight Covers.

Sexy inside and out. Handles great. Catches the eyes of those who care.

I keep the car as God intended it. Suspension is a bit hard for me now.

Had it for 4 years
By Zahir

1993 Mazda MX-6 LS 2dr Coupe

Got it close to 90,000 miles. Had a ton of things wrong. The radiator, the Steering system, the clutch went bad the wheel bearings went bad and made terrible noises. Anyway when I got all that fixed, the car gave me two solid years (except for a timing belt). Then came the problems again, Struts, Speedometer, Starter, Horn, Airbag, moonroof blablabla. I just kept on driving with those problems. The drive wasn't bad and I do like the 2.5. Great gas mileage and very smooth. Could pick up some speed too if I needed it. Would go to 130 in a heartbeat though 140 would take a while!. In short, a good looking car with a good engine but a mechanical nightmare!

Make it like Honda or Toyotas.