1988 Mazda MX-6GT Owned since new
By toucanf16 on
1991 Mazda MX-6 GT Turbo 2dr Coupe
I bought my 1988 MX6-GT new in Dec 1987. The Celica and Prelude were its competition. I bought the Mazda because it had more features and performance for the money. The car has phenomenal performance, it certainly feels like it put outs much more than its 140 HP/190 Ft-pounds torque ratings. The car was driven in Korea during 1988-1992 (I'm in the Air Force) and sat in storage for another three years (1995-1998) during another overseas assignment. Nearly four years ago I decided to sink some money in it instead of buying a new car. I installed an upgraded exhaust, 17 inch wheels and tires, sport shocks/struts, Eibach lowering springs, sheepskins, and a Momo steering wheel.
Favorite Features
It car handles great, chirps the tires on shifts to third gear. The car is tight. The engine doesn't sing at high RPMs like the Celica or Preludes, but it makes gobs of power! Great handling with my tire/wheel/spring set-up. I get 29 MPG on the highway and 24-25 on my seven mile commute to work.
Suggested Improvements
Occational check engine light. Exhaust manifold leak; repl exhaust manifold stud. Minor oil leak; repl oil pressure sensor. Alarm went bad; repl with a Clifford alarm. CD player went bad; repl with Kenwood indash CD/Cassette, Sony amplifier, Bazooka woofer, & MBQuart speakers.