A pure sports car for not that much $$
By desmolicious on
2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)
I've had my CS w 6 speed manual for about a year now. It really is a joy to drive - fun, engaging, the steering feel/handling balance is just right. Sports cars originally were simple, light, rear wheel drive, convertibles. This is that with the added bonus of being affordable and reliable. The seats don't seem like they would be comfortable for a long trip, but I was surprised - after a 10 hour drive (with stops) I was just fine. In comparison my BMW 330i's seats feel much better initially, but wear on me after a few hours. The trunk is small, but if you buy one of those custom made luggage sets online (mine was about $80), you can fit plenty for a week trip for two.
Favorite Features
Size, handling, responsiveness, steering feel, quick revving engine, rorty exhaust note. The folding hard top, while not necessary, adds a sense of security to the vehicle. The sheer joy it makes of driving. All the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Suggested Improvements
Interior is dated and too plasticky. Mediocre fuel economy given it is so small and light weight. Really poor trunk lock design. If you have the top down and lock the car, nothing in the trunk is secure as the trunk release button in the cabin STILL will pop the trunk. Crappy plastic sun visors that hit the rear view mirror if you use them. The 6 speed manual transmission should not be notchy when the car is cold. It takes a while for it to become smooth between 1-2 shifts, then it is great. (my other cars with manual transmissions work great hot or cold)