2500 miles in....what a great car
By geoffb1 on
2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)
I've been thinking at some point I am going to come to my senses and realize I've made a huge mistake buying a tiny 2 seat convertible. But then I find myself taking the long way home (again) so I can carve a few more turns with the fall foliage flashing by and the top down. And everything is right with the world. This car actually puts a smile on my face. It is an honest car that does what it is supposed to do. If your idea of a great car is one that does everything possible to insulate you from the job of driving walk away now. But if you truly enjoy feeling connected to the road and the machine....give one of these a test drive. On a sunny day. With the top down.
Favorite Features
Six speed manual has a very direct mechanical feel . Power top is a marvel of simplicity and speed. Gauges put all the important info right where you need it. Seats are comfortable and supportive. Sport suspension feels taut but not punishing on the daily drive. I like the simplicity of the dashboard. Not a video screen in sight - a very good thing. Power is more than adequate....plenty of hustle when you need it. Power comes on at high revs, but that's the nature of the beast. Confidence inspiring handling. Excellent brake feel - very linear, very strong.
Suggested Improvements
In this price range the radio should be better. Yes, I turn it off most of the time to enjoy the drive, but seriously....my 2005 Malibu has better audio. A telescoping steering wheel would be a great feature. Club graphics are a bit much.....making them optional would be a plus. It would be sheer genius to make the center console cup holders removable to turn that space into storage. The oil gauge is bizarre, and as I understand it there is no warning light for oil pressure failure. I would like an idiot light to go with the gauge.