2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Most Driving Fun. Period.
By r09 on 12/14/11 16:44 PM (PST)

2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is in a league of its own. The steering wheel responds to the slightest of inputs. Its agility is amazing. Its cornering ability is amazing. Its lane change ability is amazing. Its value is amazing. It is the most nimble car I have driven, and it is the most fun-to-drive car I have ever driven - and I am a car collector.

The GT PRHT is the perfect sports car
By marylander3 on 01/08/11 06:37 AM (PST)

I just love this car!! We got a '10 (identical to the '11) with Premium Pkg, Suspension Pkg, and Appearance Pkg at a tremendous discount. It is gorgeous (in Brilliant Black). The premium package eliminates any prior concern about the tawdriness of the interior -- it is almost plush, and the sound system is superb. Seats and steering wheel position is excellent. Clutch and shifter are the best of all the dozens of cars I've owned, including Porsches. Handling is unbelievable, and the optional Bilsteins do NOT make the car too harsh in normal driving. Finally, the power hard top is magical -- doesn't even intrude on trunk space. I just love this car!!

McGruber was a wise man
By prosthodontist on 12/21/10 16:05 PM (PST)

2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Had the car for 3 months now and after getting over with the shortcomings of a small convertible, I can say that I love to drive this car so much that I am no longer interested in driving any other car except the Porsche Cayman/Boxster. One of the best performance bang for your bucks deals out there!

Transformation in the Tires
By Manny on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Most of the reviews cover the important tech issues. I love my car but from day one I assumed that the rough and relatively noisy ride was related to the "sport type tuning" of the car's suspension - and I would just have to live with it. How wrong I was. This was the only thing about the car I did not truly enjoy - it was very noisy - road noise that was magnified by any road imperfections. Living in NY, I knew I had to replace the stock 17" Summer Tires (potenza) with an all weather tire. This weekend (October 2010) I put on a set of Conti Extreme Contact DSW and wow, what a difference. The car was transformed - it is now composed and a pleasure at any speed and road surface.

Always wanted one
By EJS on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

I spend each Saturday driving about 100-150 miles just for the fun of it. Many friends are jealous and I expect to see some buying their own in the near future. the only problem it seems to have is an unreliable exterior temperature reading.

Porsche or Mazda + Diamond?
By Lady Driver on 08/11/10 16:39 PM (PDT)

The last time I owned a mazda miata was when I was in college. After college I drove Porsche. Now I'm back to the Mazda miata and I love it! Performance has improved tremendously. It is a super fun car to drive. A car with this type of handling for 30k is a value. I could have purchased a USED Porsche 911 for over 60k. Instead, I got this brand new cute fast little car plus a bigger diamond ring AND I never have to worry about maintenance issues all for under 60k. A smarter and more fun decision by far! My husband ended up getting a porsche so we would have one in the family. It is a better drive no doubt. But I am thrilled with my decision to go with Mazda.

Everyone Must Drive One
By Ron Johnson on 07/19/10 12:56 PM (PDT)

My daily drive is a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. With 366HP is moves and handles well. When deciding on a weekend fun car my criteria was a hardtop convertible, under 30K and reliable. I always read how great the Miata was to drive and how it was tough to compete against. After the test drive, I was totally convinced. The car is a machine rapped around the drivers body. My wife had reservations about the size of the car, but now asks when we are taking it on a drive.If anyone has hesitations about this car, try to buy one 1 year old- there aren't any and I live in New York.

Just got it, love it already
By LemmiwinksGT on 07/02/10 11:02 AM (PDT)

The ride isn't harsh with the factory upgraded suspension kit and it corners like crazy. Acceleration is brisk and it seems even more so when you're sitting so low to the ground. The engine and exhaust have a nice sound and the car begs to be revved. I absolutely love this car. The hard top is reasonably quiet and adds to the security of the car while parked. The 2009 / 2010 models no longer have a crazy wheel gap like the 2006-2008's and the front end styling is much more to my taste. The stability control isn't intrusive, the headlights are very good, especially the high beams, and visibility with the top up isn't horrible if you fix your mirrors correctly. To sum this up, drive one.

First New MX-5 Miata, but not first MX-5
By caolsen on 06/29/10 10:58 AM (PDT)

My experience with Miatas has been racing and autocrossing Spec Miatas. The legendary build quality and sheer tossability of these cars makes them so much fun. The addition of the Power Top finally made this an option as a daily driver with on street parking being my norm. So when it was time for a new car, the MX-5 Miata was it. The car has the same zoom zoom-gist that I've loved in my other Mazdas. The Suspension package and DSC system on the GT models means that with the addition of snow tires and cheap rims, this will be the daily driver unless the snow is over the lugs. And with the top down and stereo on, you can't beat it for cheap therapy after a long, hard day at work.

The Perfect Roadster!!
By JDR2020 on 05/04/10 13:00 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Having owned Corvettes and German cars for 25 years, I purchased a 2008 MX-5. Except for the radio and seats, loved it. Picked up my 2010 Grand Touring last week. Guess what? State of the art BOSE sound system, high-end seats, perfect shifter and 500 more RPM's in each gear! It cruises at 80mph and will outrun any competitors on a twisting road. Best yet, this perfectly balanced car gets 35mpg. It retains 65% of its value over three years and is inexpensive to maintain. Probably the only car on the road today where the driver is one with the car. The only problem is I want to drive it all the time.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible in VA is:

$118 per month*