Used 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Duel N Fun
By KPD

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

We have our MX5 8 months and it has been a blast. The little lady fell in love with it. While it's NO Corvette(we have a ZO6, also) in the power dept., it's just fun to zip around in. Just extremely well engineered and designed. However, I don't know why the 6th gear runs at such a high RPM, kills the mpg. And yes another inch or two of leg room would be great (I'm 6'2") but this is livable. We just love the pwht. When up, it fits the design and when down there's still a trunk. And the shift pattern (6M) is a delight and more fun than our Vette. Well maybe they're equal. We would strongly recommend the MX5 with the power hard top. It's dueling in the fun, top up or down.

Without question, the power hard top. The 6M sift pattern is a blast. And we love the overall design inside & out.

Again, a inch or two more leg room for us 6'2" people. And possibly a more fuel efficient gear ratio in the 6th gear for better mileage.

BEST THERE IS!
By BC

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle to drive both for fun and back and forth to work, and it is truly what I expected. It even loads my golf clubs in the trunk! The only real complaint I have is that somehow it could have a spare tire. I just feel real uneasy going out of town far without a spare, even though they do give you an air pump and sealit material. Overall, I definitely recommend this car and would buy one again sometime once i wear this one out, if that is possible.

Every thing!

Needs a spare tire - maybe a "doughnut" under the trunk! Possibly a folded "doughnut" that can be put on and pumped to size.

Fun
By David Dunn

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

What more do you want in a car, fair price, fun to drive, quality is outstanding and it's a convertible.

Cost very little to maintain. This is my 2nd miata the first one i sold with 160m miles on it.

I'm 6 foot 1 inch tall if they could have deeper leg room it would help out alot like the old MG's Also speakers in the head rest would be great.

2009 Miata (Grand Touring w/Power Top)
By John from Dallas

This is the first non-Toyota vehicle I have owned since 1985. I have owned it for about 6 months and it continues to be a pleasure to drive. I considered a few other cars (Mini Cooper S, Nissan 370Z and the Audi TT). The Audi and Nissan were about 10 grand more and the Mini dealer was extremely arrogant). Overall, I chose the Mazda because of the styling, performance and power hard top. The reliability was also a big sell for me.

Styling, power hard top and overall performance.

More interior room (I am 6 ft 2 inches and it is a little small for me). A bit more power would be nice -- with the AC on it is a little sluggish. My biggest complaint is the sun visor -- really, really bad. Overall it is very small, and you can not move it to block the sun on your driver side.

Top Down Fun!
By Tony M.

We bought the car as a weekend fun car and what fun it is! It is getting colder in the North East now, but I intend to squeeze out every last day of top down driving that I can. Love the way the engine growls and how it handles overall. Not nearly as much fun with the top up. Would love to take a really long top down drive but alas I may have to wait until next spring to do so. If you live in a year round warm climate, buy this car! If you don't no worries, cover it up in the winter and you will enjoy it that much more come spring time. b/t/w I am 6 feet tall with long legs and I don't find the car to be uncomfortable at all. I truly love my MX-5.

The PRHT is so eazy and fast, and I love that it does not take up your trunk space. Manual shift is quick and responsive. Auto temp control, the red dash lights, overall look (gets alot of attention), love just about every little feature.

I am a fan of BOSE products but the radio in this car is sub-par. The sound is great with an I-Pod connection but radio and CDs sound okay at best.