2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Often misjudged for what it is
By dancetracks on 09/04/09 07:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Anyone who has driven a Miata will come away with a smile. But often someone will come along and bash the car comparing it to cars costing $10K more (S2000) or twice as much (Boxter). It is unrealistic to expect Porsche performance at the Miata's selling price of around $25k (sport model). The MX-5 really sits by itself in the marketplace of low-price performance convertibles. Drive one. If you come away with a smile, then buy it and let the fun begin. I can't stop thinking about the next time I'll drive the car.

apotheosis of a dream
By woodyas on 09/04/09 04:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Bottom line: this car is in undeniably fun to drive. Top down, wind in the hair, and a pure feeling of freedom. Hell, why was I not doing this years ago? Not sure about every convertible out there, but this sure seems like the best damn one out there. And how do you beat the price--or the numerous accolades the Miata has one. To be succinct: I love this car!

Adult sports car
By Mr Lessie Williams on 08/29/09 09:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I recently purchased a 2009 MX5 Grand Touring PRHT with the optional suspension & premium package, and I love it.The top goes down in 12 seconds and the 6M with limited slip differential makes it a true driver sports car.When it comes to interior it stands alone in its class,the exterior has 20 years of evolution making it one of the best looking roadsters on the road.

Great Car
By MiataFever on 08/25/09 11:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is a great car. It exhibits the critical balance between performance, style and comfort, while maintaining a true sports car feel. This car invites you to drive it - it is so much at home on a winding road with the top down - it delivers just what the car was designed to do - a oneness with the road and a fun factor that is off scale. The 6 speed transmission is a joy, the audio system sounds great, the top up / down operation is effortless and the car has great visual appeal. Test drive one - you will love it!

Keeps getting better and better
By ZoomZoom on 07/05/09 12:54 PM (PDT)

I drove an '09 on a whim, didn't think I'd buy as I loved my 07 Grand Touring PRHT. I was wrong. As soon as I took the test drive I could tell the seemingly minor changes had made a great car even, well, greater. Red line is up to 7200, so less hitting the rev limiter when winding it out. Engine and tranny just seem stronger and smoother, although the published numbers are basically unchanged. 6M shifts seem even tighter and shorter if that's possible. Must have been exhaust tweaks because it sounds even better. Interior also seems roomier, the door cup holder has been redesigned and no longer protrudes into your leg. Love that! Traded my 07 on the spot and drove the 09 home.

09 sky vs 09 phrt mx5
By Redprhtlady on 06/23/09 20:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my first convertible in aug of 08 which was a Saturn sky, hated it! Now I have a 09 phrt mx5, love it! I have a trunk and I can put the top up & down in 12 seconds. The sky's top was very hard to get down if you are a woman. The sky is a sharp looking car, but in my opinion my miata is the bomb! Sky rated a 5. Mx5 rated 10+ with me!

Buy a real sports car not this one
By Made a big mistake on 06/05/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Have owned real sports cars (vetts, S2000, porsches) downsized to this, with such great reviews got this thought my wife would also like it, terrible ride not even closed to the handling of an S2000. I not talking about raw power, but handling, how can anyone call this a sports car WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT will sell as soon as I can. If you want to save a few dollars buy a used S2000 or Boxster you will be driving a real sports car.

Grinning From Ear to Ear
By Psychprofessor on 05/02/09 22:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This is the first car I've had in living memory that my wife actually wanted to drive whenever she goes anywhere that doesn't require a large trunk. As my son put it, it feels like you're going fast even when you're not. It's just fun to drive no matter what kind of driving you're doing. My first sports car was an MG Midget, which began to disintegrate as I left the dealership. It was great fun to drive, when it would start and it wasn't raining, but living in Baton Rouge that wasn't often. One thing I know about the Miata is that it doesn't leak. Also, it gets surprisingly good gas mileage for the kind of driving that I do. Loads of fun, and I love the design. I even like the grill changes.

Intial impressions of our new MX-5
By Mark Goldberg on 04/14/09 09:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

We've had the new 09 Miata for about two weeks now. I'm an experienced technical review of video gear, so I'm trying to apply those skills here. The MX-5 is exactly what a fun roadster should be, but was lacking till the introduction of the Miata in 1989. It holds the road beautifully and has just the right amount of power for what this car is supposed to be - a fun way to travel on a nice day. The engineering design seems very well thought out and offers opportunity to the experienced driver and user- friendliness and intuitiveness to the new roadster enthusiast. It is an amazing car and I love driving it.

What A Car
By AFMIII on 04/10/09 20:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car!!! It has more power then i expected. I am averaging 21.5 mpg. It is real stylish and very zippy. Bought it in the Competition Yellow. Sure do turn some heads when i go speeding by. I recommend this car highly.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata in VA is:

$85 per month*