2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
2009 MX5 - Driven 40k in the last 1 1/2
By saintaug1 on 08/03/13 10:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Researched a bunch of different roasters. Drove the 350Z, Boxers, S2000 and bought a 2009 with 7k on it. A compelling factor was the PRHT which works perfectly. I just sold my Triumph motorcyce (much to my wife's delight) and I tell you, this little car is ALMOST as fun to drive. I did do a 180 spin in rain, so be cautious in wet conditions. I too would love to have about 50 more hp but you have to know how to squeeze the power out of it, mainly by shifting at higher rpms. I think the build quality is better than a couple used boxers I drove...really tight. The Honda S2000 used car prices were I think, over priced, the BMW I would hate to have to repair, as would be the Boxer. Fun!

MX-5 Happy
By Canadian Car on 08/22/10 19:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second MX-5. I had a 2002 and traded it in in 2006 for a BMW 3 series sedan. I missed it so much, I bought a black Sport with PRHT. I love this car and can't get into it without smiling. It is fun to drive and to cruise the back roads as well as a daily commuter. The greatest improvements since 2002 is that this feels faster, less noisy with the top down and I do not miss having to put on that vinyl roof cover. It still drives like a go kart and handles like a dream. I took it to Stowe Vermont and it was great going through the Mountains with my 6 speed. To misquote Jeremy Clarkson, "The reason I gave this car 10 stars is because i could not give it fourteen."

Poor Bose radio
By Bob Valentine on 08/18/10 18:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have had this little gem forever a year now but I am very disappointed with the quality of the Bose radio-- volume has to be tuned up to 24 where other Mazda owners have their radio set at 14 or 15--local dealer says it is normal--I figured with the Bose name on the radio it would be good--not so--can barely hear the radio when top is down--I think the radio is a factory defect but no one wants to admit it--would like a new radio but I don't think it is going to happen as dealer thinks it is a good one

Duel N Fun
By KPD on 07/28/10 10:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

We have our MX5 8 months and it has been a blast. The little lady fell in love with it. While it's NO Corvette(we have a ZO6, also) in the power dept., it's just fun to zip around in. Just extremely well engineered and designed. However, I don't know why the 6th gear runs at such a high RPM, kills the mpg. And yes another inch or two of leg room would be great (I'm 6'2") but this is livable. We just love the pwht. When up, it fits the design and when down there's still a trunk. And the shift pattern (6M) is a delight and more fun than our Vette. Well maybe they're equal. We would strongly recommend the MX5 with the power hard top. It's dueling in the fun, top up or down.

BEST THERE IS!
By BC on 01/20/10 05:30 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle to drive both for fun and back and forth to work, and it is truly what I expected. It even loads my golf clubs in the trunk! The only real complaint I have is that somehow it could have a spare tire. I just feel real uneasy going out of town far without a spare, even though they do give you an air pump and sealit material. Overall, I definitely recommend this car and would buy one again sometime once i wear this one out, if that is possible.

Fun
By David Dunn on 12/21/09 05:39 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

What more do you want in a car, fair price, fun to drive, quality is outstanding and it's a convertible.

2009 Miata (Grand Touring w/Power Top)
By John from Dallas on 11/15/09 08:14 AM (PST)

This is the first non-Toyota vehicle I have owned since 1985. I have owned it for about 6 months and it continues to be a pleasure to drive. I considered a few other cars (Mini Cooper S, Nissan 370Z and the Audi TT). The Audi and Nissan were about 10 grand more and the Mini dealer was extremely arrogant). Overall, I chose the Mazda because of the styling, performance and power hard top. The reliability was also a big sell for me.

Top Down Fun!
By Tony M. on 10/12/09 07:57 AM (PDT)

We bought the car as a weekend fun car and what fun it is! It is getting colder in the North East now, but I intend to squeeze out every last day of top down driving that I can. Love the way the engine growls and how it handles overall. Not nearly as much fun with the top up. Would love to take a really long top down drive but alas I may have to wait until next spring to do so. If you live in a year round warm climate, buy this car! If you don't no worries, cover it up in the winter and you will enjoy it that much more come spring time. b/t/w I am 6 feet tall with long legs and I don't find the car to be uncomfortable at all. I truly love my MX-5.

If it was more fun it would be illegal
By Dreamgineer on 09/18/09 18:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

In a word this car is FUN! and you can't beat the price or the fuel economy 25MPG (Measured over a year). It drives like a dream, it's fun to watch people look at the car and smile, it's fun to take corners at high speed, it's fun to listen to the great stereo with the top down and the wind in your hair while singing at the top of your voice. Zoom-Zoom!

Love it
By Pat on 09/11/09 10:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I too had a 2007 PHT Miata, when I saw the 2009's I thought ok donít know about the smiley face look but I will go look at one. Well I went to the dealer and test drove one and wow big improvement over my 2007, tighter suspension, the seats are great, the stereo with MP3, Bluetooth, seat adjuster, my husband fit in it and more, I loved it. My husband has an S2000 and mustang and he loved this car too, it may not be as fast or sporty as his, but then it was not made to compete with those cars in that class, but I find it more fun then his, this car was made for pure fun and enjoyment and that is what it is. I have it now for 3 weeks and that smiley face is now on my face everyday.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible in VA is:

$85 per month*