2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Review: I wish I had a longer commute!

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Review

Touring Convertible (2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic w/Power Hard Top)

I wish I had a longer commute!
By ScotProf on

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Kids finished college, decided to celebrate by buying a convertible to drive in sunny California. This is a great car. As several reviews state, it drives like a fast go-kart. It is so easy to overtake slower drivers by zipping out & back in that I am having to rein in my urges, otherwise I'll get my first ticket in >24 years of driving. The PRHT is great. My "suggested improvements" below are minor, and focus on the interior design; the only DRIVING "defect" is that the rear visibility is not great with the top up. So, when reversing with the top up, I am coming to rely on the side mirrors, which I don't enjoy; I'd prefer to be able to scan the whole area by quick glances over my shoulder.

Handling is fantastic. PRHT so easy to use, and takes 12 only seconds to go up or down (exactly as advertised). PRHT does not impinge on trunk space (unlike most retractable hard tops). I have the 6-speed auto, with semi-auto that can be used via the stick, or via paddle shifters. Great fun.

(1) Why 4 cup-holders in a 2-seater? The central console should be changed to "box-shaped" storage. (2) The sliding lid of the central console has a down-hanging lock. So, if you have anything in the cup-holder area, the lid can't slide shut. (3) Bose 7- speaker system: no tape, no aux input for iPod