Great Car Gets Even Better
By Mike on
2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)
This is my third Miata, and I've had one from each generation. Mazda has taken a great car and made it even better. The car remains lightweight and agile but adds horsepower and more refined ergonomics. I have a wide frame and fit much better in this car than in previous generations. The engine is super smooth, the manual transmission has a short throw and shifts easily, and new alternatives like xenon headlights improve refinement. I had a Porsche Boxster S between my last Miata and this one. After I sold the Porsche I wanted another two seat convertible without spending $50k+. Even though the Porsche is faster and gets better skidpad ratings, the Miata is a better value. Great car
Favorite Features
The interior ergonomics are simple, comfortable, and intuitive. No giant mess of buttons, no complicated electronic interfaces. Simiilarly, the driving dynamics are fantastic, particularly for a car with 166 horsepower. Everything works in unison. The light weight also helps greatly.
Suggested Improvements
Minor stuff. The stability control is way too invasive. It should allow at least some throttle steer. (Fortunately, you can deactivate it easily.) The Bose stereo should allow drivers to connect an iPod. By the way, I like the gearing of the 6-speed but won't drive much on the highway.