Used 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Best Car Ever
By Bruce

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I can't help but smile whenever I'm walking toward it or sitting behind the wheel. This car makes me happy! Shifting is a joy. Handling is light and nimble -- makes every other car (including my Mitsubishi Eclipse) feel like a tank. This car responds so quickly and directly that you'd swear it can read your mind. I've heard people say that you don't drive a Miata, you wear it. They are absolutely right. You've got to strap one on to believe it. And while you're there, take a glance at yourself in the rear view mirror. I bet you'll be smiling!

Favorite Features

The handling, and personal feel of the car. The quality of build seems exceptional. I love the open air driving and the way the car responds to driver inputs. Styling and the way other people react to my Miata. Gages are terrific. Steering feel & turning radius. Shifting is just plain fun.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel is too thin. Cup holder in the driver's door pokes me in the leg. It should be relocated. Clutch pedal is too long of a reach compared to the gas and brake pedals. Door panels should have pockets. Make cupholder inserts in the center console removable and pad the arm rest.

Almost spent $50K on a Boxster...
By NHBC

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

And I am really glad that I did not! I was looking for a small, light, nimble and quick roadster with a little emphasis on comfort. Lotus had the performance and the size, but was a little too severe for the street. Corvette was luxurious and fast, but a bit on the heavy side, and do you really need 425HP? Besides, the seats were dreadful for a $60K automobile. Came down to the Audi TT roadster and the Porsche Boxster… almost pulled the pin on the Porsche until I decided to drive the MX-5. What a revelation! Don’t be fooled by the engine size – light weight combined with a willing engine and an utterly fabulous 6-speed manual box make for an incredible driving experience. No regrets!

Favorite Features

Great ride & handling; fabulous instruments,controls & Bose stereo. Power Retractable Hard Top. Fantastic build quality. Great mileage (29.8 MPG first tank/back roads). No European “badge baggage” or reliability issues to worry about. Forget the GPS, Bluetooth and luxury pack-grab a map and G0!

Suggested Improvements

Ipod adapter for the excellent Bose stereo should be standard. Maybe improve the quality of the interior carpeting… that’s about all I can think of.

Fun drive-add inches
By gary moon

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the exterior style, price was a major factor in purchase. Turns out the machine is a hoot to drive, I fell in love during the test drive with the zippy feel and handling. My salesman just about had a coranary while I was puttng this car through its paces. Shifting the Miata is great fun, I love torturing the transmission from red light to red light.

Favorite Features

5 Speed shift, acceleration, colors (Silver and Black), 5 spoke rims, the ease of use of the pop-top. Being low to ground is a great feel. (But I wish they would provide a lift recliner for getting in and out of the car.)

Suggested Improvements

All cupholders stink, door holders take up valuable space for a 6 foot 230 lb guy like me. Give me a spare donut tire instead of a can of expand-a-foam and a aquarium pump. The stereo is kind of muddled at highway speeds.

Finally!
By GerryB

Just got it so here are 1st thoughts. I've wanted a 2-seater since I was 12 and saw an MG midget parked outside. Finally got the Miata. Great, just great! Have read all reviews posted so far and agree with most. Great fun to drive. Great performance. Ingenious power hard top terrific option if you like the look and live in a climate where you'd like to extend the season (I do). I looked at all the other cars in a similar price range and there is simply no comparison. Others look and feel almost primitive vs. Miata. If you are thinking about the auto- transmission make sure you test the 6- speed also -- AT works well but it gives a totally different driving experience and feel. Get one & enjoy!

Favorite Features

Where do I start? 6-speed tranny is very responsive; handling is superb; inside and out are classy; I think cockpit is just the right size and balance. If you are looking for something roomier, get a performance sedan. I like the contrast between this, my Millennia (96 S - terrific car) and my SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Aux/MP3 input (it's 2008!); center bin with detachable cupholder for 5/6 spd tran; nicer dash insert to replace shiny plastic; padded armrest/center console; swivel visor; outside temp; higher low beam. Memory driver seat.

Woo Hoo
By Kay & Gene

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We decided it was time to have some fun in our lives. Drove the Sky, Solstice, S2000. Nothing compared with the style, handling and amenities. Besides its got a hard top, duh! We got out of a Lincoln Town Car for this fantastic ride!!!

Favorite Features

Retractable hard top,trunk space, and manual shift automatic.

Suggested Improvements

Make the seats a little softer