Used 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

A Motorcycle with doors.
By John

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Excellent handling as it corners better than anything I have driven. Good acceleration, great mileage/design, and fun to drive! Insuring this sports car is an unexpected bargain! What more could you ask for?

The six speed manual transmission starts shifting very smooth after a couple thousand miles. Bose stereo is nice quality and the door speakers seem very robust. Ease of the drop top is nothing short of incredible. After a little practice...3 seconds down, and 5 seconds up...from the drivers seat.

I took my Grand Touring to a great seat shop in my area and they added two inches of hard foam to both seats as they were too low for me and provided no lower back support. They work great now! Had the same problem with a 2000 Ford F150 XLT! Seats should be designed to support the lower back!

Best Bang for the Buck.
By btshephe

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In my opinion, when you compare this car to other similar "2 seaters", you will find that the MX-5 is the overall better value for the long haul. Given the fact that this cars reliability and "fun to drive" factor is what really matters it's hard to beat the basic sport, with the power top. In this tight economy, you don't have to sacrifice basic zoom-zoom bliss.

Much prefer the Grill look of the 2008 vs the 2009 smiley face version. Enjoy the reduced wind noise of the hard top verses the soft top at 65 mph. Like the trunk space compared to most other competitors.

More durable interior plastics. Needs a padded mid-shifter console for comfort. Ditch the cup holder that rubs the drivers leg on occasion. Side pivot sun visors would be nice, instead of the current fixed ones. But again, nothing is perfect.

Zoom Zoom
By Betty

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I love my MX-5. This is my second MX- 5. If you are looking for something fun to drive this is it. Hard top goes down in 12 seconds and I still have the same trunk space, amazing! I get 31 MPG! Even though it is an automatic, I have the option to shift manually or with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. You got to love it, I do.

Convertible hard top, great interior, Bose stereo system, the bottle holders on the door, top down air conditioning setting, remote auto windows down function.

Ipod adapter, compass/temp in rear view mirror. auto dim mirror, blue tooth package, padded center arm rest optional.

A worthy successor to my 93 Miata
By Eric

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I really wasn't planning to buy new, but with more than a $9,000 discount off sticker, how could I pass up a new Miata. Great car! I miss the go-cart feel and exhaust noise of the 93, but the ride is much more comfortable. Definitely leans more in corners. I'll be adding RX8 sway bars soon. Looking forward to many happy years in my new Miata.

Soft top is one of the best designs around. Easy to put up and down. Looks classy too.

Bose stereo really isn't that good. Aux jack would be nice. Lower ride height and bigger sway bars would be nice.

The Right Choice
By John

We purchased the our Hunter Green PRHT new in March 2009 and we could not be happier. The exterior design is exciting, the interior is clean but not overwhelming and the driving characteristics are just plain fun. Handling is precise and she can turn on a dime and acceleration for a vehicle this size is more than adequate.

Handling, the Miata is a balanced vehicle that will not dissapoint as a daily driver or a weekend only cruiser.

DTRL - they should activate when the vehicle is started instead of having to manually turn them on. Bluetooth - should be an option at the minimum. Auto Dim Mirror - again this should be an option at the minimum. Finally, the release to access the gas cap is awkward.