2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
I wish I had a longer commute!
By ScotProf on 09/04/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Kids finished college, decided to celebrate by buying a convertible to drive in sunny California. This is a great car. As several reviews state, it drives like a fast go-kart. It is so easy to overtake slower drivers by zipping out & back in that I am having to rein in my urges, otherwise I'll get my first ticket in >24 years of driving. The PRHT is great. My "suggested improvements" below are minor, and focus on the interior design; the only DRIVING "defect" is that the rear visibility is not great with the top up. So, when reversing with the top up, I am coming to rely on the side mirrors, which I don't enjoy; I'd prefer to be able to scan the whole area by quick glances over my shoulder.

Zoooom Zooooom
By 2008RedMiata on 09/03/08 13:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Owned a 1990 Miata that I drove for yrs without any troubles. Decided to upgrade. Glad I did. Much more room than the original design. I just drove it 2000 miles in 5 days getting an avg of 33 mpg (28 mpg in the city). Comfort was better than anticipated for two people plus gear. This is not a "grocery getter". It is a fun car to drive to the drive in or in the mountains for a weekend get away. Zoooom Zooooom!!

Miata
By miata08 on 08/26/08 17:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

AS a new owner of a Miata there not to much I can say for now. I have never own one but I am having a good time with the the car now.

Midlife crisis pacifier
By dacvulcan on 08/22/08 10:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Test drove a Sky and S2000 but the MX-5 felt more like a classic roadster. It is very responsive and has totally replaced the "need for speed" that my motorcycle satisfied. It is real nice on a Saturday cruise to have A/C, heat, music, and a top when it starts to rain. I am going back over my favorite motorcycling routes and enjoying them more than ever.

Awesome get the right options
By Westgl on 08/20/08 13:34 PM (PDT)

I test drove all models for a while. The Grand Touring with upgraded suspension & DSC w/traction control feature made the car handle excellent & still provide a very comfortable ride, The Remote keyless entry is a must have. The retractable hard top is another excellent feature. Got the limited slip also, the leather is very nice quality. I have a 1999 20th anniversary miata it is very raw in comparison, the 99 does not have enough leg room. The 08 has way more than enough leg room as well as more roomy cockpit. The manual says you can run premium gas in it for added performance. I had test driven a new corvette, S2000, 350Z, BMW Z4, Solstice, nothing came close to the miata

my my my my my!!!
By MrMashie on 08/09/08 17:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This is probably the most fun ride I have ever owned. The kids are married, no car seats, strollers, toys, etc., to worry about anymore, so daddy has a fun new toy. This sure beats the heck out of all those station wagons, minivans and clumsy fuel eating SUVs I had to endure. I'm thrilled with this car, it's just so much fun to drive. I finally enjoy getting on the road again and zoom-zooming around. Did I mention my golf clubs fit in the trunk? ok I have to take the woods out and fit them inside the trunk next to the bag, big whoop! This car is far superior to the Solstice and Sky. They can't compare at all. What a blast this MX5 is !!

What are you waiting for
By Chick on 08/05/08 21:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is freakin awesome. Wanted one since '89, can't believe I waited so long. This car takes turns like she was on rails flat and smooth and no surprises. The brakes are just as impressive. Soft top operation could not be easier. The clutch pedal could be stiffer, it's a bit light for me.

Best choice by far
By Chris on 07/31/08 14:42 PM (PDT)

Shopped the Solstice/Skye, Honda 2000 and Z3 and glad I chose the MX-5. The drive is great and I'm getting about 35 mpg on windy mountain roads in Colorado I drive every day. The PRHT was a tough choice to make at first but after having it and enjoying the quiet and added warmth as well as flawless operation I wouldn't make a change. It may give up a bit of top end compared to the others but the drive is WAY better, absolutely NO COMPARISON. This is my daily commuter (80 miles R/T) except when it snows and the comfort is fine.

Special Edition - Near Perfect
By Matthew on 07/28/08 18:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I had a hard time finding the special edition here in SoCal. When I found one for sale, I went to see it, and it was beautiful. The light blue doesn't seem too feminine for me. I love the contrast of the brown leather against the blue exterior. The car handles beautifully, and is always a blast to drive. It has rained 4 days since I bought it, and those days are the only time that the top has been up. The manual top is just perfect, easy up and easy down from a seating position. Throttle response is great especially when merging onto a highway. But the real treat this car delivers is the steering. Near perfect! Lotus Elise is the only car with better steering than Miata.

An Update - Go Get Yours Today!
By Billiebad on 07/11/08 20:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

OK I have now had 6 months behind the wheel - yes my math is good - sat out the three winter months from 12-20 to 3-20. But WOW what a fun car. No regrets no looking back. Looked at others and this is it. Keep in mind second car - I have a small SUV for hauling business associates, family and cargo. But for fun there is no other. Will hold two sets of golf clubs with small carry bags and with removal of woods and careful placement in trunk - maybe add a small garment bag - that is it. The top design is the best - watch to see what cars are driving on a nice day with top up - not as many Miatas - it is too easy to drop the top. Lower windows and release the clasp - throw the top and go.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.