Used 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Loving My Miata
By sodiscool

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I absolutely love my triple black Miata. After 2.5 months I still look for reasons to drive it. I was nervous about the suspension package but it handles amazingly and is still very smooth and controlled over bumps. Top operation is really fast. Cruises at 90 on the highway all day long. I am 5'11 and I fit just fine. This is a car for people that really love to drive. Take one for a test drive, you'll take it home.

Easy top operation, good sound system, short shifter, handling, 28 mpg

I wish I had an aux jack, one piece of the top buzzes on the highway, sun visors are pretty worthless

Happy George
By Happy George

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My first Miata was a 2000, 5 speed manual which for some reason I don't recall I sold in 2003. I always regretted doing that. I never thought I'd like an automatic transmission in a Miata. All I can say is try one of these 6 speed automatics before you decide. I love it. The performance, steering and brakes are great. It's quite comfortable on smooth roads but a bit less so, as expected, on poor surfaces. I like the grill and front view of the 2008 model better than the 2009.

The single latch top is a great improvement. The fun to drive factor was high when I bought the car and has increased as I get comfortable with it.

This car has a larger trunk than my 2000 Miata but the 2000 had a spare tire. I'd rather have a smaller trunk and a spare tire. Just to nit-pick, I hate the "half pound" folding key. It is way too bulky.

A Motorcycle with doors.
By John

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Excellent handling as it corners better than anything I have driven. Good acceleration, great mileage/design, and fun to drive! Insuring this sports car is an unexpected bargain! What more could you ask for?

The six speed manual transmission starts shifting very smooth after a couple thousand miles. Bose stereo is nice quality and the door speakers seem very robust. Ease of the drop top is nothing short of incredible. After a little practice...3 seconds down, and 5 seconds up...from the drivers seat.

I took my Grand Touring to a great seat shop in my area and they added two inches of hard foam to both seats as they were too low for me and provided no lower back support. They work great now! Had the same problem with a 2000 Ford F150 XLT! Seats should be designed to support the lower back!

Best Bang for the Buck.
By btshephe

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In my opinion, when you compare this car to other similar "2 seaters", you will find that the MX-5 is the overall better value for the long haul. Given the fact that this cars reliability and "fun to drive" factor is what really matters it's hard to beat the basic sport, with the power top. In this tight economy, you don't have to sacrifice basic zoom-zoom bliss.

Much prefer the Grill look of the 2008 vs the 2009 smiley face version. Enjoy the reduced wind noise of the hard top verses the soft top at 65 mph. Like the trunk space compared to most other competitors.

More durable interior plastics. Needs a padded mid-shifter console for comfort. Ditch the cup holder that rubs the drivers leg on occasion. Side pivot sun visors would be nice, instead of the current fixed ones. But again, nothing is perfect.

Zoom Zoom
By Betty

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I love my MX-5. This is my second MX- 5. If you are looking for something fun to drive this is it. Hard top goes down in 12 seconds and I still have the same trunk space, amazing! I get 31 MPG! Even though it is an automatic, I have the option to shift manually or with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. You got to love it, I do.

Convertible hard top, great interior, Bose stereo system, the bottle holders on the door, top down air conditioning setting, remote auto windows down function.

Ipod adapter, compass/temp in rear view mirror. auto dim mirror, blue tooth package, padded center arm rest optional.