2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
I want to like this car, but
By wonky on 09/01/09 12:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I really want to like this car, but I don't. Interior design is poor: window switches in a bad spot & centre console won't hold anything by design. The door cupholder bangs knees, the centre ones make centre console useless and prevents shifting properly! Seatbelt connect height is not adjustable. No spare tire means this is a suburbanite-with-a-cellphone ride. Can't go anywhere interesting without a usable spare and MAZDA is NOT helpful! Also, the Bose stereo is awful. Speakers rattle and vibrate. No aux jack. When Mazda tells you Mp3 compatible, they mean you can play a disc in Mp3 format. Even Hyundai has this stuff figured out. Mazda doesn't care, they don't have to.

Long Distance Driving in a Miata MX-5
By spencer08 on 07/27/09 17:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before buying my 2008 Sport Hardtop 5-speed, my main concerns were riding comfort and gas mileage. After experiencing my first long trip (5905 mi), both concerns are gone! Ride is firm, but comfortable, with exception of older concrete surfaces that can produce fairly harsh jitters. Driver seat is very supportive, especially the back. Overall ride is very good, not great, and very quiet for a convertible. If you're not a lead foot, you can get very good gas mileage. I've gotten 32.5 mpg in/around town, and 35.6 mpg total over the long trip above (as high as almost 42 mpg in slower mountain driving, and low of 33 mpg at sustained highway speeds of 70/75 mph. (All mileages calculated.)

Near Perfection
By joeschmoe on 07/18/09 19:51 PM (PDT)

This is my first true sports car and have to say it's a blast to drive. Besides a small lack in power it's the perfect sports car. The stock handling and braking are superb. Fuel economy is excellent. Short gear ratios make for spirited acceleration when up to speed. Minor modifications are all that are needed to turn this thing into a track car. I took a 3k mile road trip and was still smiling when I got home. Those over 6' will have a hard time getting comfortable in this car.

Loving My Miata
By sodiscool on 07/10/09 23:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I absolutely love my triple black Miata. After 2.5 months I still look for reasons to drive it. I was nervous about the suspension package but it handles amazingly and is still very smooth and controlled over bumps. Top operation is really fast. Cruises at 90 on the highway all day long. I am 5'11 and I fit just fine. This is a car for people that really love to drive. Take one for a test drive, you'll take it home.

Happy George
By Happy George on 07/03/09 08:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My first Miata was a 2000, 5 speed manual which for some reason I don't recall I sold in 2003. I always regretted doing that. I never thought I'd like an automatic transmission in a Miata. All I can say is try one of these 6 speed automatics before you decide. I love it. The performance, steering and brakes are great. It's quite comfortable on smooth roads but a bit less so, as expected, on poor surfaces. I like the grill and front view of the 2008 model better than the 2009.

A Motorcycle with doors.
By John on 05/22/09 21:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Excellent handling as it corners better than anything I have driven. Good acceleration, great mileage/design, and fun to drive! Insuring this sports car is an unexpected bargain! What more could you ask for?

Best Bang for the Buck.
By btshephe on 05/22/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In my opinion, when you compare this car to other similar "2 seaters", you will find that the MX-5 is the overall better value for the long haul. Given the fact that this cars reliability and "fun to drive" factor is what really matters it's hard to beat the basic sport, with the power top. In this tight economy, you don't have to sacrifice basic zoom-zoom bliss.

Zoom Zoom
By Betty on 05/17/09 18:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I love my MX-5. This is my second MX- 5. If you are looking for something fun to drive this is it. Hard top goes down in 12 seconds and I still have the same trunk space, amazing! I get 31 MPG! Even though it is an automatic, I have the option to shift manually or with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. You got to love it, I do.

A worthy successor to my 93 Miata
By Eric on 05/13/09 15:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I really wasn't planning to buy new, but with more than a $9,000 discount off sticker, how could I pass up a new Miata. Great car! I miss the go-cart feel and exhaust noise of the 93, but the ride is much more comfortable. Definitely leans more in corners. I'll be adding RX8 sway bars soon. Looking forward to many happy years in my new Miata.

The Right Choice
By John on 04/27/09 18:47 PM (PDT)

We purchased the our Hunter Green PRHT new in March 2009 and we could not be happier. The exterior design is exciting, the interior is clean but not overwhelming and the driving characteristics are just plain fun. Handling is precise and she can turn on a dime and acceleration for a vehicle this size is more than adequate.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata in WA is:

$151 per month*