2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Attention Enthusiastic Drivers!
By conzoomer on 01/12/13 05:24 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you are a person whose passion is improving his driving skill set, this is a perfect tool. The MX5 will reward you with increasing satisfaction and fun as you learn to master driving skills. Routinely switch off traction control after engine start-up to obtain linear throttle response and to learn the car's traction characteristics. This car is quite capable even in stock form; resist the urge to modify its performance until you have fully utilized all it has to offer. When you are not in the mood for spirited driving, you can chill and enjoy the scenery and the MX5 will not annoy you with a bad temper. Some 2008s had a defect in the manual trans. Mazda fixed mine under warrantee. THX!

Short Block Replacement@4800 miles
By Jack on 12/19/09 14:56 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Noticed high (2.5 quarts in 3500 mi.). Spent 1000 more miles convincing the dealer that there REALLY was a problem. Dealer finally tested cylinders for leakdown and then changed the short block due to a scored cylinder wall due to an improperoy installed ring. During the repair, the front of the car was damaged and the transmission linkage was improperly reassembled. After the transmission linkage repair, the transmission still doesn't shift as well as it did when delivered.

just better over the years
By Tom on 12/16/09 18:44 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

We have a 1993 Mazda which is fun to drive and has been dependable and mostly bulletproof for years. The refinement of the 2008, purchased new in 2009,is very impressive. The quick drop convertible top is just wonderful for changing moods and fun factors.

A Motorcycle with doors.
By John on 05/22/09 21:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Excellent handling as it corners better than anything I have driven. Good acceleration, great mileage/design, and fun to drive! Insuring this sports car is an unexpected bargain! What more could you ask for?

A worthy successor to my 93 Miata
By Eric on 05/13/09 15:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I really wasn't planning to buy new, but with more than a $9,000 discount off sticker, how could I pass up a new Miata. Great car! I miss the go-cart feel and exhaust noise of the 93, but the ride is much more comfortable. Definitely leans more in corners. I'll be adding RX8 sway bars soon. Looking forward to many happy years in my new Miata.

A Miata that's car-like
By Yasu on 01/30/09 12:49 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I like that the new gen is just a better car, meaning it's possible to go on long road trips in relative comfort. It makes every moment a driver's delight, the destination irrelevant. The cabin is intimate, shaped so that the car, me, and my companion are one. Unless we're fighting. The higher rear sill contributes to this, and blocks the feeling that the car behind you is going to drive into your skull. Other cars treat you with relative respect, vs. the older gen. Slides are very controllable, yet cruises in a variety of gears easily. You can race it, you can commute it, you can distance it. You can also supercharge it but that's a different story.

Wonderful Car!
By Roger on 10/25/08 04:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned nothing but Miatas since 1989, and this is my fourth. My last one was a 2004 Mazdaspeed which was a great car, but this one is even better. The driving dynamics are just sensational with a ride quality that is exceptionally smooth combined with excellent handling. In fact much to my surprise I don't even wish for more horsepower, because the power feels just right for the car. I've always had a preference for red Miatas, but this time I got the marble white with the brown top and tan interior, and it's just a beautiful car which could easily be mistaken for a $100,000 Jaguar. I have now driven over 400,000 in my 4 Miatas and have never gotten stuck. Thank you Mazda!

Midlife crisis pacifier
By dacvulcan on 08/22/08 10:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Test drove a Sky and S2000 but the MX-5 felt more like a classic roadster. It is very responsive and has totally replaced the "need for speed" that my motorcycle satisfied. It is real nice on a Saturday cruise to have A/C, heat, music, and a top when it starts to rain. I am going back over my favorite motorcycling routes and enjoying them more than ever.

Most fun you can have on 4 wheels
By howieb on 05/06/08 17:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Fun, fun, fun. The most fun car I have driven. Tested the 350Z, BMW, Altima, Accord, this is the best. And affordable! It is a 3rd car in the family with a truck and a sedan, so we could get away with a 2 seater. If you buy it it will make you smile, I keep looking for reasons to drive

Excellent, but a few gripes
By BobB on 04/03/08 14:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

No dispute about this being the best handling, most refined & practical under-25k roadster. Mine's a GT, supposedly top-of-the line niceties... not. No fuel/trip computer. The ECU knows how much fuel it's burning. Let me know! No MP3 support in the CD changers (without a $500 upgrade just for MP3 support) Crazy cheap. No external media input, despite looking like it on the stereo faceplate --> devious. Intermittent wipers not adjustable rate, as if there were only 3 settings of rain. On/off seat heaters are off or hot.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.