Used 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

High Priced Tin Can.
By Ewok

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My back can't handle much of this car. After an hour or so I believe I'd feel better if I was on a medieval torture rack. Would that it took that long to get tired of the racket this car makes. Took it in for service to deal with the rattle, squeak, and squeal from the dash. The service people were really nice but unfortunately the problem is still there. So if you like paying 20,000 for a tin can this is the car for you.

I have the soft top and I do like that you can raise and lower it without leaving the car. It's also fun to drive, providing you have a friend put pressure on the dashboard so as to suppress the constant rattle, squeak, and squeal emanating from there.

You guessed it; get rid of the rattle, squeak, and squeal. I have a 9 year old Honda that doesn't make near the noise. Also, a front seat that doesn't double as a torture chamber would be nice.

Fun drive-add inches
By gary moon

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the exterior style, price was a major factor in purchase. Turns out the machine is a hoot to drive, I fell in love during the test drive with the zippy feel and handling. My salesman just about had a coranary while I was puttng this car through its paces. Shifting the Miata is great fun, I love torturing the transmission from red light to red light.

5 Speed shift, acceleration, colors (Silver and Black), 5 spoke rims, the ease of use of the pop-top. Being low to ground is a great feel. (But I wish they would provide a lift recliner for getting in and out of the car.)

All cupholders stink, door holders take up valuable space for a 6 foot 230 lb guy like me. Give me a spare donut tire instead of a can of expand-a-foam and a aquarium pump. The stereo is kind of muddled at highway speeds.

Zoooom Zooooom
By 2008RedMiata

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Owned a 1990 Miata that I drove for yrs without any troubles. Decided to upgrade. Glad I did. Much more room than the original design. I just drove it 2000 miles in 5 days getting an avg of 33 mpg (28 mpg in the city). Comfort was better than anticipated for two people plus gear. This is not a "grocery getter". It is a fun car to drive to the drive in or in the mountains for a weekend get away. Zoooom Zooooom!!

The drop top takes no time at all to open and close. Controls are easily accessible. Handling. Fuel mileage.

Cup holders in the door could go. Need an iPod/aux jack. Extra power port also. These are minor inputs.

What are you waiting for
By Chick

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is freakin awesome. Wanted one since '89, can't believe I waited so long. This car takes turns like she was on rails flat and smooth and no surprises. The brakes are just as impressive. Soft top operation could not be easier. The clutch pedal could be stiffer, it's a bit light for me.

Exterior looks, interior layout, powertrain, handling, gas mileage, the smile on my face every time I take Little Red out for a drive.

Heavier clutch pedal feel,headlights that will illuminate objects above 3 feet high. Lose the cup holders... 4 cup holders in a 2 seater you do the math. Make the 5-spoke wheels an option on higher end models... they look so much better than those ugly 10-spoke things.

Great little GoKart
By mike

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a summer toy and alternative commuter vehicle instead of my gas guzzling SUV. I had also considered the Pontiac Solstice, but found the level of fit, finish and refinement greater in the MX-5. It's obvious that improvements in the 19 years of production put the MX-5 as the front runner of affordable roadsters. It doesn't have the performance of a Porsche Boxster, or the panache of a BMW Z4, but at less than half the price, who cares! Popping the top down in 3 seconds for the drive home on a sunny day is priceless.

Short throw shifter, ease of lowering/raising top.

Next design could be a little more aggressive to help shed the Miata's image as a 'girly' car.