Used 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Attention Enthusiastic Drivers!
By conzoomer

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you are a person whose passion is improving his driving skill set, this is a perfect tool. The MX5 will reward you with increasing satisfaction and fun as you learn to master driving skills. Routinely switch off traction control after engine start-up to obtain linear throttle response and to learn the car's traction characteristics. This car is quite capable even in stock form; resist the urge to modify its performance until you have fully utilized all it has to offer. When you are not in the mood for spirited driving, you can chill and enjoy the scenery and the MX5 will not annoy you with a bad temper. Some 2008s had a defect in the manual trans. Mazda fixed mine under warrantee. THX!

Favorite Features

-mild oversteer, predictable drifting due to near 50/50 weight distribution -engine likes high revs -wide powerband -strong brakes with good feedback -solid chassis integrity -well designed soft top: easy to convert from the driver's seat in a few seconds. With the top down, the visibilty of surrounding traffic and road conditions far exceeds that of a car with a roof: better visual input= better decisions. I routinely drive top-down. Even in rain and snow the interior remains nearly dry when at 40mph+ -with top down you need a good heater and heated seats; the MX5 has these -simplicity: In a sports car, less is more. Analog gauge set easy to read. HVAC controls simple. No computer interface

Suggested Improvements

-Ford-designed manual trans could be smoother shifting to consume less of my concentration. Used Motorcraft XT-M5-QS GL4 75w-90 oil in the gear box and improved shifting by 75% -removed 2008 center console cup holders and replaced with aftermarket cubby -angled front of seat bottom upwards to increase thigh support using spacers -replaced stock horn with Nautilus air horn -I prefer window switches in doors instead of center console And that's about it! Since I usually ride motorcycles, which are inherently more engaging than cars, I regard most cars just as a mode of transport, but not the MX5. The MX5 is a car that makes you live in the moment yet rewards you with lifetime satisfaction.

It is true what others are raving about this car...
By mx5v

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Still kicking myself for not checking this car out earlier. This is not kind of Sport edition, SE of other pretend to be sport cars off the regular boring cars. It was built from ground up. I finally test drove a few and that was it - I had to have one. Manual is one of the best I ever drove, but for some reason, I just could not fully enjoy the car with manual. Fortunately, dealer had 2007 PRHT w/auto, besides the fact it had 60,000 miles on it, it drove same as brand new one. Both me and my wife were blown away with joy this car delivers. This car sent shock waves through my family. I never seen any other car to make such effect before. We own 2008 now and discovering even more joy.

Favorite Features

The whole car, but especially Power Retractable Hard Top, Xeon Lights, Bose sound, Instrument cluster illumination. Pop the hood, look underneath and see how practical sport cars (not just for few wealthy ones) should be built.

Suggested Improvements

Please, Mazda keep making mx-5 as long as cars are built, bought and sold. It would be a great lost to humanity, if Mazda stop building these real gems. Perhaps, Mazda can improve marketing. Most dealers do not even have this cars in the showroom, yet it is the best cars Mazda ever built.

Why aren't more cars built like this?
By OwnDaRoad

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have had my Miata for 21,000 miles without a major problem, other than routine maintenance. I have been asking other car companies to put this formula together, but only Mazda wants to do it. Even if you already have a truck/van/SUV that you are happy with, I would strongly recommend this car. The fuel and maintenance savings alone of using this for regular trips would almost pay for one of the most dependable machines I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Perfect handling, total control, good sound system, surefooted, ease of getting the top up and down.

Suggested Improvements

Build a hatchback version with some decent cargo space. Just as important, everyone is asking for a rotary engine Miata.

High Priced Tin Can.
By Ewok

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My back can't handle much of this car. After an hour or so I believe I'd feel better if I was on a medieval torture rack. Would that it took that long to get tired of the racket this car makes. Took it in for service to deal with the rattle, squeak, and squeal from the dash. The service people were really nice but unfortunately the problem is still there. So if you like paying 20,000 for a tin can this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

I have the soft top and I do like that you can raise and lower it without leaving the car. It's also fun to drive, providing you have a friend put pressure on the dashboard so as to suppress the constant rattle, squeak, and squeal emanating from there.

Suggested Improvements

You guessed it; get rid of the rattle, squeak, and squeal. I have a 9 year old Honda that doesn't make near the noise. Also, a front seat that doesn't double as a torture chamber would be nice.

Excellent
By Hydro

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This car has great handling but there's room for improvement. What it lacks in power makes up for taking turns at 40 mph. For what it is, it's a great value for the amount of fun you will have. Yes, the interior is a little "cheap", but you get what you pay for. If that bothers you spend couple bucks and put some nice leather pieces in it. I've heard a million times that the car is girlie. To be honest, I've only gotten compliments ever since. I've had it for 3 months (an automatic), no problems and smiles everyday. As a daily driver back and forth to work the auto is great.

Favorite Features

The front of the car isn't my cup of tea, but I do like it. I think it looks a world better then 09+. I just can't drive a car that's smiling. Hardtop, is by far my favorite feature. Some may complain about the 12 seconds not sufficing to do at a stop light, but if you time it right, you def can.

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDER! I'm relatively short but man that cup holder on the door hitting my knee is annoying! Other then that they could of done a better job with ride comfort. It is what it is tho, it's a roadster not a Lexus. It's noisy and it doesn't take well to rough roads.